View Poll Results: Should Obesity be considered a disability?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 7.50%
  • No

33 82.50%
  • I'm torn.

4 10.00%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Obesity

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    I advise You to read something about Aspartame (E951) , it's used instead of sugar in those 'light' products...

IMO, We should eat as few chemistry as it's possible... And to be honest all those 'light' products aren't real. They are full of chemistry. I just prefer to cook normal food:meat,fish,vegetables...With a 'diet' like this, You can't be wrong
    Don't watch "Food Inc.".
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Don't watch "Food Inc.".
    Ok I won't

No but really, I wonder why it is so ... In Poland we cook a lot of meat and on a fat and we actually don't have problems with obesity. We also eat a lot of sweet cakes etc. I use 3-4 spoons of sugar to my coffee or tea ,when I cook I always use a lot of butter and oil and still I'm not a fatty and to be honest I don't know nobody who is really fat...
    I wazzzz here

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The US has a higher percentage of minorities, and minorities are overweight in higher percentages (and also suffer from diabetes in greater numbers). That movie Food Inc. said the number one predictor for obesity was poverty. Cheap food is also the kind that makes you fat.

Anyway, I think you are just being kind, papi. There are plenty of overweight Europeans, too. Your rates are rising steadily. Even *I* know some heavy Germans.

[url]http://www.seekwellness.com/wellness/reports/2003-11-07.htm[/url]
    Last edited by vashti; 27-01-10 at 08:38 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The US has a higher percentage of minorities, and minorities are overweight in higher percentages (and also suffer from diabetes in greater numbers). That movie Food Inc. said the number one predictor for obesity was poverty.

Anyway, I think you are just being kind, papi. There are plenty of overweight Europeans, too. Your rates are rising steadily. Even *I* know some heavy Germans.

[url]http://www.seekwellness.com/wellness/reports/2003-11-07.htm[/url]
    Haha of course I know some overweight people, but really just few My stepfather is overweight lol (and German).But for example in Poland I don't remind me of nobody who is really overweight and if those are my old aunts hehehe. I'm talking mostly of young people. I know that in some age Your body isn't that fit anymore,no matter what you do
    I wazzzz here

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    I advise You to read something about Aspartame (E951) , it's used instead of sugar in those 'light' products...

IMO, We should eat as few chemistry as it's possible... And to be honest all those 'light' products aren't real. They are full of chemistry. I just prefer to cook normal food:meat,fish,vegetables...With a 'diet' like this, You can't be wrong
    Diet soda doesn't contain any sugar.
    shit you beat me to the punch...

if you look up the molecular break down of aspartame, it's all about starches. all starches get stored in your body if you don't burn them off.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Well, Im no expert, but aren't most disabilities thus far either genetic anomalies, psychological disorders or accidental injuries? What they have in common, I think, is that they are involuntary, too sudden, and often irreversible.

Obesity is pretty damn obvious when it comes to identifying the "symptoms", so can definitely be acted upon at an early stage, might be genetic in some cases but still think that it's possible to counter that in time (unless your parents are fat slobs who only feed their kids at mackeys), and far more deliberate than accidental.

Infrastructure for obese people is already available (same ramps and elevators that wheelchairs use), and I don't find it to warrant special benefits.

I work with assisting disabled students here at uni, and a blind or deaf person sure as shit deserves the help more than someone who's obese.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post

I work with assisting disabled students here at uni, and a blind or deaf person sure as shit deserves the help more than someone who's obese.
    They definately deserve more. Doesn't a fat person just need a fishing pole for a hat with a Twinkie on the end of it?
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Wow cmac. That's not cool.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I wazzzz here

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Wow cmac. That's not cool.
    that was nice.. the cools guys are never nice.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Personally, I don't think it should be. People who are obese are the way they are because they chose to be fat. I'm sure some might have "thyroid problems" that make them overweight, and I do feel bad for the ones who can't help their weight. But a vast majority of the fat people in America are fat because they eat shit food and sit on their asses day and night; they indirectly choose to be huge by not eating a little healthier and by not getting up and moving around. It's the same for those stupid women who think pregnancy is a disability - they brought it on themselves and chose to put themselves through hell, and it's not a disability if you choose to do it to yourself. It's not like someone who got hit by a car and is paralyzed from the waist down...odds are quite good someone like that didn't choose to become a road waffle. IMHO, treating obesity like a disability will just make the fat people go, "Bawww, I'm disabled. Lookit mee!" and thus encourage the ass-sitting and overeating.

I'm not trying to be mean...I'm personallyhuge and I understand I have a tank ass because I don't exercise a lot and my diet isn't perfect. I try to change that, though. I'd be horrified if someone considered me to be disabled because my ass is size 15. I do think, though, that cosmetic weight-loss surgery should be covered by insurance for people who are overweight or obese. Yeah, it's sort of the easy way out as far as weight loss, but if it's clear the person isn't going to bother making an effort to lose weight, I think getting surgery involved is the best option to save these people from eating themselves to death.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456