+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the use of drugs...

On the use of drugs...

I've seen a lot of negative things said about drugs and the people who use them, so I want to hear your thoughts.

Some background first might be helpful. When I was younger, my dad liked to take my camping, and a lot of his friends at these campgrounds were into meditation involving incense, and occasionally other substances. I didn't understand it at the time, but it probably colored my perspective on the matter.

Fast forward, and I become interested in a website called Erowid and what it seemed to stand for. Maybe you've heard of it: it's like the Wikipedia of psychoactive chemicals, documenting all known information about every drug known to man, as well as reported experiences on them. Admittedly, a few of the posters are stupid junkies, but most of them consider the use of drugs to be spiritual, productive, or simply fascinating. Some of them are Rastafarian or Native American, and subsequently view designated drugs--was sacred.

Drugs used in this way are called entheogens. Mushrooms, pot and even acid may be placed in this category. While I hardly use them, anymore (I get bored of things), I still respect those who do. I never believed that they literally connect you to any deity, but still value them as introspective tools, and am open to exploring further. I will also show interest in drugs in conversation, especially the chemistry (I have a lot of nerd in me, yes) and culture of them.

Neither of my ex's did drugs, and people told me before getting together with either of them that it wouldn't work out because they didn't respect that. We eventually broke up for unrelated reasons, but I am still pretty curious about how this all affects my love life.

is this really in the ask a female forum?

Off the top of my head I would say if you smoked a lot of X, you would want to be with someone who also smoked X. If doing Y is your thing I'm sure they'd love to do Y with you.

People that don't smoke X or do Y generally don't want to get involved with someone that does...

I wouldn't want to be with someone who often chose to go to an alternate reality from mine. I've done my share of hallucinogens and smoked pot occasionally, but that's all in the past. I would consider myself a light drinker.

I'd feel neglected if my man regularly got stoned or drunk, and if he was spending time that we could be spending together eating peyote in a hut in the woods with his soul brothers, he'd find himself single, fast.

It doesn't make you undateable, but I think it makes it unlikely that most women will view you as a keeper.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    if he was spending time that we could be spending together eating peyote in a hut in the woods with his soul brothers, he'd find himself single, fast.
    But you wouldn't feel neglected if he spent the occasional weekend in the woods with his buddies hunting, camping, etc?
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

Not if he brought back an elk, I wouldn't.
    Spammer Spanker

lol.. fair enough. I could certainly understand someone like Giga not wanting to be with a drug user. If it's something she's done in the past, then dating a drug user would feel like a step backwards in life. Like dating someone that hasn't matured as much as she has.

On the other hand, what you do in your free time shouldn't matter to your girlfriend so long as problems don't spill into the relationship.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm a weed smoker. I used to do it rarely just for fun. Smoking picked up when I met my now bf. We kind of bonded as occasional stoners. Eventually we started to get in the habit of always having a stash of weed at home which led to smoking everyday sometimes multiple times a day. Now I know you might be thinking all we do is munch, sleep and laugh. You'd be wrong. Since we smoke so much it has little effect on us. I could go to work as ripped as I could possibly be and be most funtional and often times one would never guess. (Unless I reak).

We go on 'breaks' every now and again they can last anywhere from a few days or for months. We've currently smoked the last of our stash and are starting our 'break'.

That said- I don't have a problem with weed at all. Not unless he's a lazy bastard that can't get off his ass if he's ripped. Not the case with us.

I am curious about other drugs mainly coke but I'm smart enough to refrain. I've done other drugs including shrooms, lhd (or something I forget), e, acid. I don't do these regularly and have only done them no more than 5 times or less each.

I would have a problem with anything that gets more excessive than 'recreational'.

My college boyfriend was a massive druggie and my ex husband was a drunk. My parents both smoke pot every day (yes, still) and my dad is about to die of cirrhosis, among other things.

So, yeah. I may be a little biased.
    Spammer Spanker

I just started smoking pot again after an 8 year break. The girl I've been kind of seeing lately doesn't smoke, but she also doesn't have a problem with it. Like girl68, the smoking doesn't get me blitzed. In fact, it seems to be a pretty good cure for my ADHD. More than anything it helps me think a bit clearer.

I've also explored the wonderful world of shrooms, and acid. I agree they are a great way to reflect on your life. Oh, and girl68, coke is a great party drug.

I would completely understand if a girl I'm interested in was turned off by recreational drug use. I enjoy smoking pot again. Especially because it doesn't have the after effects that alcohol does. If I was dating a girl that didn't smoke, and she didn't exactly like my smoking, then I would simply do it on my own free time. No biggie.

Edit: Always have to be careful saying these things on the internet. Employers DO google potential hires these days.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL

I also smart enough to realize that I would get addicted to coke. I'm a chaser of my first high. I experienced this with E. It was so amazing the first time I tried it I wanted to do it all the time becasue it was so wonderful! I did do it a few more times but nothing was ever like the first high.

Coke would do this to me but I'd probably get hooked which is why I don't have plans to try it anytime soon if ever.

Fortunately it's pretty expensive, which is a barrier to addition. That is unless you're a young attractive woman. Then there are always ways to get it. Which is why my ex concerned me recently by telling me she tried it for the first time and really liked it. Oh well.. not my problem anymore.

Edit: I've never tried E. I have no idea why. Just never came up in my social circles.

I smoke pot occasionally, and have probably tried everything at one point or another when I was young. I would not have a problem dating someone who occasionally engaged in recreational drug use, as one as their definition of "recreational" is similar to mine.

I wouldn't date a drug addict, but I wouldn't date someone who was addicted to exercise, work, shopping, etc either.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I wouldn't date a drug addict, but I wouldn't date someone who was addicted to exercise, work, shopping, etc either.
    That makes me think of the thread on here about losing a guy to video games. I guess no one wants to be in second place to their partner's hobbies. Be it video games, drug use, hanging out with friends, working out, etc.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^ that was my thread!

Coke piles up in Santa Fe in drifts. You're not missing anything, girl68. It doesn't take you anywhere you really want to be, believe me.
    Spammer Spanker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast