+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Advice needed on love/business relationship

Advice needed on love/business relationship

Hi! I need advice on a problem with my boyfriend of 4 years. We are in a business together; he provides the building and pays utilities, and pays half of the product we build and sell; I pay half of the product, and contribute all the labor (which is very intensive...average is 1-2 months to complete). When sold, we split the net profit 50/50. Now he wants/expects me to perform free labor for his own personal benefit, in addition to driving everywhere we go (restaurants, events, etc.) and helping him with daily chores (grass-cutting, home repairs). I make only about $1000/month, and he is self-employed and makes 10 times that. Is this fair? Am I being selfish? He had 2 partners before who did nothing but help him spend money on vacations, etc. and they split profit evenly between them, and they never lifted a finger! Am I right or wrong to feel that he is giving with one hand and taking with the other?
    Thanks for any advice!

If he wants someone to split everything 50/50, he can marry you.
    Spammer Spanker

Yeah..how do you think THAT marriage would work?! Me working even harder for totally free, and him raking in all the profits....sounds like slavery, doesn't it?!

No. It sounds like he'd have to share with you.

I think you're in a shitty situation. Can you get out of this?
    Spammer Spanker

No it's not fair. With the extra share of money he's making, he should be able to pay someone to do household repairs, etc., It sounds like he's looking for his girlfriend to be the hired help as well.

Seems like you have set up a dynamic where your boyfriend is your boss, mostly because it was his business initially, correct? One couple I know who have a successful business together started the business together and mutually decided how work was going to be distributed from the start. Personally I still don't know how they do it...I'd never want such a blurred line between work and my relationship, but to each his/her own.

Can you make your own money somehow and not be involved in his business?
    Last edited by starbuck; 20-01-10 at 11:41 PM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I can get out of the situation, both personally and professionally; he is a good boyfriend (faithful, hard-working, etc.) and has been somewhat generous professionally. But I DO feel like hired help. He is VERY frugal..drives an old beat up car that I continually have to repair (his parts, my labor), refuses to pay for ANY repairs that need done unless they are complicated, etc. I don't mind, in fact, want to pay my own way, but feel taken advantage of at times.
    I don't have the financial resources to go out on my own...yet. That would require buying/leasing a building of my own, etc. So that would have to come with time. I think I am starting to lean in that direction for the future. Thanks for all the advice....very good advice!