+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attraction: Baldness

Attraction: Baldness

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I figured physical attraction falls in line with the board topic... and also, being a gay man, it's a lot different for me and I'm not sure I can find the answer I'm looking for here.

Recently, I've started losing my hair at a steady pace. At a safe distance, nobody could ever tell. But within a foot of me and under slightly-more-than-subtle lighting it's definitely visible.

I'm a gay man, and I do a lot of online dating. I'm not the type of guy to troll bars or be found dancing shirtless in gay clubs, so sometimes I feel online dating is the best way to go. From what I've seen, gay men place more value on physical attractiveness than most other people. Having gotten out of a relationship a month ago, and starting to date again SLOWLY, I've found a lot of rejection in the short time I've been looking and don't know what to do or make of it.

Yesterday I went on the first date I've been on since breaking up. I thought I saw him looking at my scalp when my head was turned (as I would look back at him, I would see his eyes lowering back to my eyes). Today, he txted me saying that he didn't feel a spark, though I thought we hit it off really well.

Anyway, I suppose I'm kind of just looking for opinions and input. I'm still in a lot of emotional pain, from so many different aspects of love, including the rejection by this guy, the general shallow rejection I face for not being a "perfect twink," and my breakup just after Christmas. I put a lot of weight on love, and I tend to be the foolish hopeless romantic...

How should I feel about my hairloss? I honestly don't know if I could rock the all-shaven bald look. I love(d) my hair. And I'm only 25. Should I bother trying to save it? Should I not care? I honestly don't believe the whole "don't worry about it, you'll find someone" nonsense. I'm starting to believe that I truly may not find what I'm looking for in this life.

I have a prescription for Finasteride (Propecia) 1mg, but I haven't started taking it yet due to the prices, which I can deal with, and some of the potential side effects, which I really don't know if I could deal with. And there's always the possibility of using Rogaine, though that can cause you to shed hair and there's no guarantee that hair will grow back, ironically enough. Again, what do you all think? What would you do, if you were in my shoes? Or what would you do if you were in the shoes of someone whom someone like me was trying to go out with?

Wow, this post was A LOT longer than I initially intended...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think bald can be very sexy. I don't know what you look like, but you might want to try a progressively shorter buzz cut to get used to the idea.

As for your medication options, have you spoken to a pharmacist? Because the side effect profiles are quite different with those meds, and I believe losing your hair is a rare side effect of Rogaine, and there aren't any issues with reduced libido. If you have any cardiac issues, I would avoid it, though....
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I've seen quite a few gay men with shaved heads, I thought it was an actual comon look in your community

bah is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    How should I feel about my hairloss?
    That it's a part of life.

Honestly, if someone refuses to get to know you better because of a physical feature, you don't need them anyway. Keep looking.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just rock it bald ... completely... Might as well come to terms with it and adapt to being bald than trying to look like you're covering up ... the combover never works. Just sport it like you know what's going on ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Embrace the emerging new you. Confidence is sexier than hair, any day.
    Spammer Spanker

get outta here u faggot

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ripster View Post
    get outta here u faggot
    shut up, loser. he's probably the prettiest boy posting here.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

ripster is probably in the closet.

Ripster is banned for a week.
    Spammer Spanker

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would just shave it off, personnally 'skin heads' are my type i guess as thats what most my ex's are, i find it sexy.

What i dont find sexy is a combover. uggghh.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think bald can be very sexy. I don't know what you look like, but you might want to try a progressively shorter buzz cut to get used to the idea.
    I like Vash's idea. Also, bald can look very good on a man, sometimes better than hair.

I'm generally very open minded about looks, even weight, but the one thing I've never been able to get past on a man is bald spots or extremely receding hairlines. I know I'm not the only one, and it makes me feel awful but it's just the way it is.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    I would just shave it off, personnally 'skin heads' are my type i guess as thats what most my ex's are, i find it sexy.

What i dont find sexy is a combover. uggghh.
    Can i please borrow someones hair clipper?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    shut up, loser. he's probably the prettiest boy posting here.
    hey, he's probably the second prettiest boy around here.. i'm still the number one boy... i'm not as old as shorty..!! hahaha

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    hey, he's probably the second prettiest boy around here.. i'm still the number one boy... i'm not as old as shorty..!! hahaha

raverboy
    Was that for me? I swear she was talking about the balding guy. Haha
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast