+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Guys-would you freak out about crying in front of your date?

Guys-would you freak out about crying in front of your date?

So, on Friday I was on my fourth date with a guy I am seeing. It has been pretty casual between us....everytime we have hung out it has been lighthearted and fun. We have kissed, but not yet been initmate.

Friday he took me out to a romantic mean, that was a little more formal that our previous dates. During the meal I noticed he seemed bit distant. I asked him, politely, if every thing was ok since he seemed a little down. He told me he had put his dog to sleep the day before. I told him I was sorry, and asked him if he wanted to talk about it....he said yes but in the midst of the story suddenly began crying. He excused himself, got up from the table and went into the restroom.

I sat there for a bit until he came out, still looking pretty rattled. I asked if he wanted to go...and he said yes. On the way home he kept apologizing for crying while I assured him it was fine. I have lost pets too and it is devastating. We sat in his car and talked for about half an hour. He opened up a lot more than he has previously and I thought the evening ended on a good, if sad, note.

However, since then he has been really emotionally cold and distant. I have been giving him space, while still being friendly and available. Do you think this is due to the crying? If so, is there something I can do to make him feel less awkward?

He could be embarrassed by the crying.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

Yeah, he maybe feels humiliated or that he opened up too much, too soon. I would act just like you did before this incident. Don't bring it up further unless he does. If you like him ask him what he's doing this weekend.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by QueenofCorona View Post
    Yeah, he maybe feels humiliated or that he opened up too much, too soon. I would act just like you did before this incident. Don't bring it up further unless he does. If you like him ask him what he's doing this weekend.
    I agree, be there for him but you would be helping him to get past it all if you didn't bring it up anymore. You've done great so far though, very understanding.

I would have to agree with everyone, Im sure he was just embarrassed. I once started crying over a dog that i had put down years prior in front of a girl i had been with for over a year and i was a touch embarrassed myself. You have done great so far though, keep it up.

If there was ever a beat in the hole where my heart should be, and if ever, a tear should find it's way down my rugged face, I would not want anyone to see it.

Don't ever bring it up. It's like putting salt in a wound.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenofCorona View Post
    agreed! even a girl i think would be embarrased if they cried that much. let us know how things progess in the next week.