+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gaining Weight!

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    but she also loves to drink heinekens.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

The *only* thing that ever helped slim my fat ass down was fasting. I lived off coffee and Creme Savers in high school and skipped breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. Didn't do any exercise beyond what I did in gym class, and since I've never been good at physical activity, it didn't help much. By the end of my senior year (I started in my junior year), I lost 70 pounds and was about 130...perfect for me. I'd still be that size if I didn't eat like a pig in college and gain back 60 pounds my first year.

You don't have to do such extreme fasting to get results, though. Maybe cut down to 1000-1100 calories a day, making lunch your biggest meal. The lower the better, really. And drink lots of water when you get hungry because it will make you feel full and the hunger will go away. It takes a lot of willpower to ignore those hunger pangs, but I promise, you'll stop being hungry after 12-14 hours. Then your appetite completely goes away; I personally forgot how to eat at one point. It's hard at first, but once you get into the swing of the diet, you won't even miss eating. I mean, if you want to exercise to make yourself feel active, go for it...but it doesn't do anything to make you lose weight, really. It will help maintain whatever your current weight is, and may help strengthen you...but it won't make you actually shed pounds. Trust me on this...I worked out several times a week and dieted for six months. I lost weight, but then managed to gain it all back in a week with absolutely no changes to my routine besides maybe missing a day of aerobics. Fasting will get you the best and fastest results.

If you really want to eat, though...go vegetarian. I once ate nothing but stir-fry vegetables and white rice for two weeks and I lost 16 pounds.
    Last edited by DarkNeko; 10-02-10 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Typo

I can't make lunch my biggest meal that will slow me down. I make breakfast my biggest meal. I'm a busy chick at work so I don't really have time for lunch. I think I'm going to keep snacks nearby like some others suggested. Nuts, Fruits and Bottled Water.For Dinner I have to try and make something healthy. Stir Fry sounds good and eating salads. How does that sound?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    breakfast is supposed to be your biggest meal along with lunch as your smallest. that's how my diet works. when it comes to dinner though, that's another story. it varies from something healthy to something that tastes good with beer... my my my.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Dark Neko, your fasting technique sounds scarily like anorexia.

Humans need to eat. A good diet should be more about portion control and making better food choices, not giving up food altogether.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

If you only have 15-20 min to spare for exercise I would recommend you make all of it cardio..warm up for 3-4 min and do 10 min of high intensity with a couple min for a cool down. If it's not high intensity 15-20 min isn't long enough (5+ days per week)

Here's my take...I've gone from obese to athlete. I can safely say from my experience I have let myself gain weight due to unhealthy lifestyle choices. It was my choice and I wasn't looking for sympathy. In 1993, I weighed 173 lbs and ran a 52 mile ultra distance run (super marathon). I plan to break that record again. (age is factor but ultimately it's what you do with your body. There are ultra distance runners in the 40's and 50's that do 100 milers.) That was then. In 2001, I weighed in at whopping 336 lbs pushing towards the 350 mark then onwards to 400 etc.. At that point, I thought of doing the weight loss surgery option but a friend of mine at the gym talked me out of it. So I lost it naturally in about 18-20 months time with the supportive help I got from the friends I worked out with regularly at the gym. I went from 336 lbs down to 214 lbs. Triglycerides went from 305 all the way down to a shocking 48.

Right now, I am doing a second major weight loss to lose 80 lbs since I was successful the first time around. The second gain was due to my restrictive environment and schedule while being on the road as a truck driver. I am keeping a personal journal for this as I hope to eventually write and publish my own book on weight loss in the future. I have plenty of before and after photos to back it with proof. The key to losing weight is to do it slowly and differentiate between luxury and necessity type foods. Don't eat 3 hours before bed time or when your stressed out. Stress eating habits are one of the major leading causes of weight gain. I once had this problem. As you lose weight learn to adapt to the new lifestyle changes. Good habits are really hard to break.
    Last edited by Roymax; 01-03-10 at 09:11 PM.

Well to begin with I just looked at your picture and you look good to me...and this may come as a terrible shock to you but a lot of guys like a big ass and tits so you should be happy that is where you gain and its not all in your stomach or something.

Men and women tend to lose weight in different ways...me I can stop drinking pop for a 2 weeks, run an extra 2 miles a day (or cycle and extra 5) and drop 10 lbs...as you've said though you really don't drink pop.

Men tend to lose weight easier than women though...the best thing you can do is just try to make smart choices when you eat and try to get a workout regime that you can stick to but at the same time you can mix up to keep your body on its toes. I love work out in the pool...its low impact on my joints but I feel like my muscles have done something...try using weights in the pool...obviously in the shallow end and just walk from one side to the other holding 10-20 lb weights in each hand...although don't strap any weights to yourself..thats just dangerous.

Another thing to do is find a friend to workout with...it helps keep you motivated and gives you somebody to compete with which only pushes you.

As I said though I think you look great and you really don't have much to worry about but it is good to try and be healthy.

Become a vegetarian. Eating veggies should keep the lbs at bay. And of course exercise...dance, run ....fast walking....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNeko View Post
    The *only* thing that ever helped slim my fat ass down was fasting. I lived off coffee and Creme Savers in high school and skipped breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. Didn't do any exercise beyond what I did in gym class, and since I've never been good at physical activity, it didn't help much. By the end of my senior year (I started in my junior year), I lost 70 pounds and was about 130...perfect for me. I'd still be that size if I didn't eat like a pig in college and gain back 60 pounds my first year.

You don't have to do such extreme fasting to get results, though. Maybe cut down to 1000-1100 calories a day, making lunch your biggest meal. The lower the better, really. And drink lots of water when you get hungry because it will make you feel full and the hunger will go away. It takes a lot of willpower to ignore those hunger pangs, but I promise, you'll stop being hungry after 12-14 hours. Then your appetite completely goes away; I personally forgot how to eat at one point. It's hard at first, but once you get into the swing of the diet, you won't even miss eating.
    You have serious ****ing issues.

Your advice is so unhealthy that it blows my mind. And its no wonder you'd regain 60 pounds if your conceptions of weight loss are so ridiculously warped.

First of all, eating 1000-1100 pounds is ridiculously low. If you are a 25 year old female, about 5'6 in height (avg) and weigh 130lbs, you need to eat 1600 calories just to maintain your body weight. If you drop down to 1000 calories you are doing damage to your body. You can cause shrinkage of your heart tissue, you will lose all the muscle on your body (your skinny is going to be less "toned / sexy' and more 'starving child in Africa'), and you will cause early graying / falling out of your hear, even the falling out of your teeth. The low diet will reduce your daily energy, you will become sluggish and even experience mood swings.

What the hell are you doing to yourself?

If you want to lose weight, do yourself a big favor and join a gym. Run on a treadmill, swim, use those elliptical machines, lift weights (yes, even as a girl - lots of girls lift weights), play a sport, take a gymnastics class.

Restricting your caloric intake to these ridiculous lows is only going to cause major medical problems 10-15 years down the line when your youth fades and all the medical damage that you never notice when you're young starts bubbling up and making appearances in your daily life.

You have a serious problem, and I'm probably not the first person to say it, but your dietary habits in high school are horrible for your health. If you want to be in good shape, pick up a physical activity. Lots of people are bad at sports, lots of people are naturally fatter, but they can all deal with it, if you eat healthy, don't overindulge, and exercise regularly, you can easily maintain a healthy body weight, be toned and look good, and actually improve your health. This effort to be skinny at all costs is digging your grave with a spoon.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234