+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Loving me or letting me go?

Loving me or letting me go?

I have been best friends with a guy for 2 years. He broke up with his girlfriend, my understanding is because he has realized he has feelings for me. The only thing I'm very confused by, is that he has disappeared. Sort of. He popped back in from oblivion to make up an excuse about why I haven't seen him, then popped back out. He knows how I feel about him, and we went from talking every day, to not at all. It scares me and breaks my heart. His presence is nonexistant.

Will this end? I guess I just need some sort of explanation of what's going on in his head. If I were him, I'd be afraid that once I acquired the courage to confess my feelings, the person may be gone. Is he trying to talk himself out of it? Is he pushing away from me forever? Why is he making excuses? I had left him alone, so his excuse for being away was voluntary. Was that a test to make sure I hadn't gone anywhere? This is heartbreaking for me, because I know he's experiencing some kind of turmoil and he won't let me be there. I did confess that I was afraid he was pushing me away, and so I was trying to make it worth it to atleast stay my friend. He told me I don't ever have to be someone different, that who I am is who he likes, and made me promise to not worry about anything. Is he just being nice?

I'm sure this has been discussed in another post, if so please direct me, but I'm completely lost and need some theory.

He just broke from a long term relationship and if he's anything like me, he'd be feeling guilty about the reasons. He needs to come to terms with the fact that he's not with the ex anymore and decide what he wants to do from there. I don't think he's testing you so just relax. I'm sure he'll be in touch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337lizard View Post
    He just broke from a long term relationship and if he's anything like me, he'd be feeling guilty about the reasons. He needs to come to terms with the fact that he's not with the ex anymore and decide what he wants to do from there. I don't think he's testing you so just relax. I'm sure he'll be in touch soon.
    I agree with Lizard here. If he has feelings for you, he probably doesn't want to bring you into the shitstorm of emotions he has raging right now. I'm sure he doesn't want you feeling bad for him as the basis of a relationship. He has to come to terms with it and deal with it and pull himself out of the emotional rut. When he does, he'll feel better, he'll be happier, and then if you both still have the same feelings, you guys can set the base for your relationship on happy terms. It will be more likely to last longer that way.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

He's gone off and done a purge/sauna. There's a good chance he's genuinely interested in you but wants to come to the relationship free, clear, and pure.

Good for him, even greater for you if that's the case. That's a deep connection.

I didn't even think about that. Thank you guys very much for explaining. It makes a world of sense. It sounds a lot like what he would do.

He really is amazing, and I will wait. I have always only ever wanted him to be happy. Being his close friend has been the best part of my life for a long time. I'll stop because I'm being cheesy. (But he's so amazing!) Okay, bye. Thanks again, guys.