+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to let someone down easily

How to let someone down easily

I've Recently broken up with my ex, I have a DIFFERENT ex that i've been hanging out with. we dated when we were younger nothing really serious. He comes over and we hang out heaps just as mates. I just wanna be hes friend and i've told him so many times but hes just not getting the message. I love him to death as a mate and hes a great guy but not really my type anymore. I don't wanna lose him as a friend but i'm so sick of him trying to be affectionate towards me and getting emotional over things that i'm not even aware of. Sometimes i get pretty annoyed at him for hitting on me, i don't know what else to do!! or what to say to him to make him just be my mate. I've said to him before lets just be mates i'm not really ready for a relationship it's so hard to say.. your just not my type. any better way of phrasing that??

I think he should be your rebound guy. You need someone to occupy you after breaking up with Drunk Dude.
    Spammer Spanker

To much of a good mate to stuff around.. I personally don't like toying with people that care about me.

Then you have to cut contact with him. He can't do it for himself, even though that's what he really needs.

This is why you can't be friends with your ex. Someone always holds out hope for more.
    Spammer Spanker

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    when it comes to friends, it's difficult. i would say that honestly is the best policy because if you can't be honest with your friends, then why are they your friend??

when it comes to his ex, why should it be any different?? if you can't tell him how you feel then why be friends? if you tell him how you feel and he can't accept that you two are over, then he was only being nice to you just to get back into your pants.

personally i have been rejected by my friend, yet i still talk to her. i only wish her the best, which shows that even though i've been rejected, i still wish for her best interest. he should be the same if he is a "real" friend.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I think it's cruel to force someone who's attracted to you to be friends only, you have to do him a favour and cut him off.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

How to let someone down easy? Cold Turkey. Stop seeing them, stop talking to them, etc. Force them to move through the healing process without using you as a crutch. The longer you're there, the longer their pain will linger. Best thing Ex-girlfriends have ever done from me is to cut ties.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Definately cut ties, its not fair on him and you can never both be truly friends as one will always expect more.
    Its rare that ex's can become good friends totally platonically.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS View Post
    How to let someone down easy? Cold Turkey. Stop seeing them, stop talking to them, etc. Force them to move through the healing process without using you as a crutch. The longer you're there, the longer their pain will linger. Best thing Ex-girlfriends have ever done from me is to cut ties.
    I must be seeing things. Next, Lloyd will be back.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I must be seeing things. Next, Lloyd will be back.
    Have to stop by and give back to the community every once in a while you know.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

You know, I hate it when they give me this "walk away" advice because you don't want to hurt him/her, and you know she/he will be hurt if you do, but if you know it's not going to happen, continuing with what you have now may be getting him in deeper, making it more hurtful when the cutoff finally happens....or will it??

I guess we sometimes hope that you don't have to hurt the other person and simply hang on and hope the other person looses interest in his/her own...but I think you are risking lower probabilities of this happening.