+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unrequited Love

Unrequited Love

I'm 19 and i have this guy friend who lives in another country. We went to the same school but i left the country when i was 16. I had been in love with him ever since. Before that it was more like a crush but i've kept in contact with him through the years. There is this girl he always hung out with and ever since i was gone they've apparently gotten closer, but they're saying that they aren't in a relationship. I'm afraid to tell him about my feelings because of the possible reactions.
    Lately i've started drawing portraits, I'm not an artist it's just a hobby. Anyways, I drew his face form a picture. It was the first complete portrait i've ever drawn and it took me lots of time and energy. I told him and he asked if i could scan and send it to him. I did and he was so impressed that he asked me to do him a favor and draw a picture for him. I agreed and he sent me the picture: Him and this other Girl.
    I was shocked, yes i admit i should've gotten over him a long time ago, but i couldn't and i always had hope because we got along so well. Now I don't know what to do. Here are my options:

1. Draw the picture and ignore what feels like the saddest feeling I ever had, but retain his friendship and give up on drawing
    2. Tell him that i can't, because I have feelings for him and loose him as a friend and give up on drawing.
    3. Ignore him and his stupid picture for ever and give up on drawing

I would appriciate any advice given. I'm torn and the truth is that there is no one i can talk to about this.
    Thank you

Life is short. Your feelings right now show me that no matter what, you risk loosing him as a friend. Do you talk on the phone? Do not regret it when you are older and think, I wonder if, I should have. I would find out first if he is in a relationship with her, if he says yes, well there is not much you can do about it. If not, I would say "I have a confession" then tell him. Do not give up on your drawings, its a talent. Ask him to send a different picture.

No, we don't talk on the phone. We chat online. I thought about asking him, but he hasn't been online yet and i just want to prepare myself for what i'll be saying.
    Thank you for your advice.

Ok I asked him and he said: Yes we are very close. He could sense that something wasn't ok but that stupid moron didn't get it. He said he wanted to make it a present for her and thought that I'm having a problem with that.
    He seemed so disappointed that i agreed on drawing the picture but the truth is that I don't. I thought i'd have the courage to tell him. I want him as a friend but what can i make of a friend who constantly makes me sad and i can't even tell him??
    I don't want to draw that picture and I need some advice, please.

Draw a slightly unflattering version of her and a glowing, gorgeous version of him.

Then gloat.
    Spammer Spanker

Hahaha that's actually something i thought about doing! Or i'll draw myself instead of her beside him.... or does that make me look pathetic?

Draw the photo as best you can, then forget him. Move on and find someone who will love you back.

^ agreed. No matter how you feel about a piece of work, you should always try to do it the best way you can. Not for him, but for yourself.
    Time to stop complaining when there is no reason to. Life's good, man.