+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: married 70 years...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

married 70 years...

I always feel kind of sorry for people who have been married for absurd lengths of time. I know I am supposed to admire people who do this, but I hope I die LONG before this happens to me.

What's the longest you think you could stand to be with one person?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Idk, never really thought about that. I just kind of feel like you would meet the right person and be content the rest of your life or at least the urges would deteriorate as you aged.

I really couldn't give input anyway, lol.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Hmm....I don't know. I love my independence a little too much and am so set in my ways sometimes. I love my boyfriend but there's nothing like coming home to my own bed and bathroom after spending a couple days at his place. I've definitely seen couples who probably want to kill eachother after 50 years together even though they love eachother. My grandparents still are lovey doveyafter 66 years and seem to enjoy eachothers company, however, they have slept in seperate beds for probably 30 years.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

My aunties parents celebrated their 50th anniversary not so long ago and they couldn't be happier. I think they are good role models for two people completing each other.

When I marry I plan to be with my partner for as long as I live and I will expect the same from her.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I had a patient in the hospital whose husband for more than 60 years was ALSO hospitalized in another wing. We asked the woman if she wanted us to try to arrange for them to share a room, and she said "hell no, I've spent enough time with that bastard". lol
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post

When I marry I plan to be with my partner for as long as I live and I will expect the same from her.
    Yes, but one can expect to stay married until they die, but hope to die young!

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I had a patient in the hospital whose husband for more than 60 years was ALSO hospitalized in another wing. We asked the woman if she wanted us to try to arrange for them to share a room, and she said "hell no, I've spent enough time with that bastard". lol
    lol ~~~ ~
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

The longest relationship was six months...so, apparently that's as much as I can take I don't know. If I were in love with a woman, I suppose things were different. I'd like to be in love. It would be nice, I suppose. It would be difficult, too.

I read the other day that President James K. Polk on his deathbed, said his last words before dying to his wife near his bedside, "Sarah, I will love you for all eternity."

I read an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about a married couple that had been married around 70 years. The interviewer asked the wife, "How is it that you and your husband have been married for such a long time. What's the secret?" The woman looked at her husband then looked back at the interviewer and said, "Well, neither of us have died yet."

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Yes, but one can expect to stay married until they die, but hope to die young!
    The culture I grew up in has strong emphasis on importance of the family and an expectation for two people to stay together and create out of two separate parts one whole. I view it as strange when I hear stories of people growing old single, that type of freedom is not in my definition of happiness.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    The culture I grew up in has strong emphasis on importance of the family and an expectation for two people to stay together and create out of two separate parts one whole. I view it as strange when I hear stories of people growing old single, that type of freedom is not in my definition of happiness.
    Yes, but you've never been married. Also, i think it is sad to think that your culture doesn't consider someone whole unless they are attached to someone else.

My family also has an emphasis on family. I however am growing into middle aged single and have something like a 1 in 3 chance of ever getting married. Despite the fact that there are women that make signs of romantic interest in me, I choke up. I've lost my confidence and become very shy with women. In fact, just this week I was talking to a really nice young woman who, I could see in her eyes, was saying, "Please ask me to have coffee or a drink with you, Cam." But, I seemed to be outside of my own body as I watched myself let the moment slip by. And,there have been several other situations like that in the last few months. Even a woman who planted a big kiss on my lips and told me that she wanted to have an affair.

I will likely be one of those people who grows old single. It isn't happiness to experience it...it is a long and very hard form of advancing gut-wrenching depression that one has to continually fight off as one experiences the duality of a very successful public life and a very unsuccessful quest to find a mate. It is also a constant struggle to make certain that one remains a civilized human being...one begins to lose interest in shaving, combing one's hair and even updating the wardrobe. One can easily move from bachelor, to hermit, to recluse, to misanthrope, to eccentric. People seek me out and I have to fight the temptation to lose contact with them. I hold people at arm's length. As that single person growing old(er)...it is very difficult. And, if I live as long as my relatives have...I will have decades and decades of being alone.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Aww, that's sad Cam, but you know, married people can be just as alone. Marriage is no guarantee of emotional connection.

That's true. But, marriage or even a relationship offers hope of something. There is no hope in being alone. There isn't even the hope of a warm hand holding yours when you are scared in the moments of life where fear is the greatest.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    There isn't even the hope of a warm hand holding yours when you are scared in the moments of life where fear is the greatest.
    I suppose it's an occupational hazard for me that I see this routinely in my line of work - people who are sick, and no one caring. And no, these people aren't any more likely to be single. I suppose I will concede that there may be a small amount of hope that things might change, but I doubt it. In the end, the vast majority of us die alone.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    with you vash?? only one night.. that's why i'm looking for something quick in LA. hahaha j.k.

i'd die before i'd reach 70 years with any girl.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast