+ Follow This Topic

Thread: R & J situation

R & J situation

Hey everybody,

I'm a college student and I live in Europe. I love to watch movies - I go to the rental store in my town at least three times a week. I've seen so many movies I don't know what to pick anymore . But that's not my problem.
    The girl who works at the store, she's really pretty and friendly, and I'm noticing I'm getting feelings for her. I think she feels something for me too - I'm pretty shure.

One big problem, she's a muslim. And I'm catholic.

My family and friends aren't too fond of muslims, heck the whole town isn't. If I would start something with a muslim, my family would dissaprove and my friends would turn their back on me, as would the whole catholic community. On her side, if she would start something with a catholic, her family would reject her, believing she is no longer a virgin. Such a relationship could do great harm to both of us.

I don't know what to do. I really like her. Should I try and forget her and find another (catholic) girl?

If I'm in your situation I wouldn't think too much about our families. You will think about it later
    [URL=http://www.steadyhealth.com]Health Forums[/URL]

I wish you had indicated how old you were, because if you are of an age where this could develop into a long term arrangement, that is different (to me) than simply dating. My advice assumes you are old enough to make long term commitments.

I think you should NOT underestimate the religious differences. Even the most liberal and tolerant of people experience difficulties in this area, because even though young romantics don't like to see it, unless a couple is willing to abandon their families, they WILL have an impact. Religion may not make a difference in the beginning, but it becomes very important during life cycle events (especially birth of babies) and even holiday celebrations. Family traditions pull at you in a deeper way than you can imagine.

That being said, I think these things CAN work out. One of my closest friends is a Catholic married to a very lovely Muslim man (yes, their families made them miserable about it, so they moved here to America). I, too, married someone who was not of my religion, but I eventually abandoned my family's religion altogether so as to have unity in my household. I'd suggest before you date this girl seriously, you both ought to learn a LOT about each other's religions so you can see what you are getting in to.