+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Hurt me knee during a run while sprinting

Hurt me knee during a run while sprinting

I did something really stupid yesterday evening. I went for a run and towards the end I got carried away by running faster and faster to the point of sprinting. I was literally hauling ass but this morning when I woke my left knee was sore as hell. Touched one part of my joint...ouuuhw!! It's going to be a while before I do any running or anything high impact. When I run I run. The only thing I do now is rest it. I may have to start taking some effervescent joint formula along with some cod liver oil to help repair the affected area. Has this happen to anyone who runs? What safe guards do you take to help reduce the chances of this happening to you? I know age and genetics may be somewhat of a factor but I'm not that old yet. I've had a guy who was 54 in my triathlon training group who can sprint faster than me with longer endurance but he doesn't seem to have problems with the knees. He isn't around so I can't ask him anymore. Btw, I really try to keep pace up at the front with Kenyan during a race.
    Last edited by Roymax; 16-02-10 at 09:17 PM.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are you used to running? have you built up speed and distance gradually?

I used to run long distance, i then dislocated my knee, followed by damage in a car crash, my knee is almost metal lol. Ive not long got back into running and im trying to build things up gradually, i also find running on lower impact surfaces helps(such as grass rather than roads or treadmill) and also a good pair of running trainers with good cushioning helps loads.
    Im being carefull to build up gradually, the last bit of damage i did to my knee was just over a year ago and i only started running a couple of weeks ago..so far so good. Im also swimming lots as i find this helps keep it loose, and im listening to my body..when it starts to ache or become sore, i change what im doing and stop running until its improved.
    I also take glucosomine(sp?) and cod liver oil, and always wear a support wrap on the bad knee.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    first off, did you stretch before running? and secondly, when was the last time that you went sprinting?

yes, like Q said, you have to built up to sprinting. it's like weightlifting, you can't expect to do your max and not be sore the next day.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Qwerty, I grew up with running and have done many races through out the years. Unfortunately, I haven't really allowed enough time to build myself up after being out of the running scene for the last few years due to truck driving. I should have never done what I did yesterday. My biggest problem is my way of thinking and the big rush from the music that motivate's me. I have a tendency let my competitive edge thinking get the best of me resulting in me pushing my self way too hard. I have to remind my self that type of thinking should not match my current physical condition. I was in much better shape back then to be able to afford to think that way. You've reminded of what I need to start doing and I appreciate that. I ran on asphalt so what I may have to consider the grass for now which is a good idea. As for shoes I use to have custom orthodic cushioning for my shoes but those have already gone bad. I really need to slow down and take my time building myself up again. I'm not that guy I was 2 years ago. Does the support wrap really helped your knee? I never used it before. Good to see another runner on here.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    personally i've never used those wrap supports, but i think that it's gonna help more if you're into weight training. it's supposed to squeeze your joints together for better protection. it might help when you're running, but like i said, i've never tried it before.

raverboy

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    first off, did you stretch before running? and secondly, when was the last time that you went sprinting?

yes, like Q said, you have to built up to sprinting. it's like weightlifting, you can't expect to do your max and not be sore the next day.

raverboy
    I did some stretching but over did it at the end. I couldn't help it that one song I was jamming to put some spark into my running. lol All in seriousness though I really need to slow my ass down. Right now I'm going to do just walking until it heals up. I don't think it's hurting too bad to the point I can't walk but this is definitely a wake up call for me. High impact should not be on the menu right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    personally i've never used those wrap supports, but i think that it's gonna help more if you're into weight training. it's supposed to squeeze your joints together for better protection. it might help when you're running, but like i said, i've never tried it before.

raverboy
    They helped me immensely in soccer. I had a few games I played on injuries I definitely shouldn't have, but enough pain killer and a strong knee brace did the trick a few times.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    so what kinda long term injuries resulted from that, if anything?

raverboy

Part of my game plan:

- gloucosamine/condrotine/msm
    - synthovial fluid supplement (hyaluronic acid) oil for the moving engine parts of your body
    - branched chain amino
    - L-carnitine (liquid form)
    - 400 iu vitamin E
    - phosphorus phosphate
    - liquid vitamin mineral (liquid form)
    - juicing
    - digestive enzyme to help break food for better absortion of nutrients
    - cod liver oil
    - flax seed oil
    - egg white boiled or brown whole (good source of EFA)
    - baked salmon (good source of EFA)
    - mixed nuts
    - tumeric powder (a spice effective to help reduce tissue inflammation)
    - and getting a good massage

A treatment for knee

Joints and special behind Kmatcol but used oil or chamomile oil ring three times a day

The Signs Of A Hypocrite Are Three:

As He Speaks He Lies; On Making A Promise He Breaks It; And When Charged With A Trust He Deceives.

Update:

Good news!!...just went to go see my orthopedic doctor yesterday. The test results indicate no broken bones, cartilage, or ligaments. The only thing detected was a contusion (a bruise) of the ligament. This really put my mind at rest after all the worrying I've been doing all week long. This is still a wake up call for me even though I did not break anything. I've already made arrangements to work with a trainer and sports medicine doctor to strengthen me weak areas. I grew up on running and nothing is going to get in my way. I will just have to be more serious about the health of my joints. I look forward into competing in the triathlons again.

You should probably think about training in a low impact environment...I don't know where you were running but treadmills are not as impactful the same goes for pools...I know running in a pool is kinda silly but trust me it really builds your endurance and leg muscles...when your done your legs will feel like they have worked but your joints won't....I did this when I played football because I have a knee that always gave me trouble and it worked really well, my coach was okay with it and I actually seemed to have more endurance and strength than I did before running in the pool.

Yes, I agree I need to do less impact for now. I was running on asphalt road earlier which was stupid of me. Treadmills are good but I will hold on them as well. Right now I'm just walking. I have lost 122 lbs before so weight loss is nothing new to me. I'm not at the same caliber as I was 3-4 years ago so I will have to take my current physical condition into consideration. I have another 70-80 lbs to go before I can think of doing any kind of high impact. As I progress I will keep a diary and document my second chance weight loss and watch my joints very very carefully. I'm confident I will successfully achieve another major weight loss victory once again. This time coming back stronger and faster than ever before. I hope one day I will inspire more people to do what I did before. It's not just about me losing weight or just getting in shape.