+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polyamory

Polyamory

Not really Love Advice...

I want to know your views on polyamory, pros and cons of both monogamy and polyamory.

It interests me, as a modern man I am liberal and open to the possibility of having an open relationship.

Cheers,

Listening to one woman's bullshit is plenty for me.
    Keep your love life off Facebook, don't cheat, it's never too soon to make a move on a woman you like.

I suppose this sounds odd, but I love my friends in a platonic way (both male and female) and when I am in a relationship I generally take it up a notch to an Eros style. I have noticed that I do tend to treat my friends a little better materially (ex. Make clothing for them, send nice gifts for birthday and Christmas) as there's no expectation of drama, but I make adjustments above and beyond that level in a romantic relationship once a certain screening period has passed.
    However, if you're referring to just having multiple romantic partners at the same time then all I can say is.make sure everyone involved knows what's going on...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you are gonna do it, do it while you are very young, because once your sexual peak is over (which generally happens before women even start theirs), you will never be able to keep them all satisfied.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you are gonna do it, do it while you are very young, because once your sexual peak is over (which generally happens before women even start theirs), you will never be able to keep them all satisfied.
    How many did you think I was going to have, like 5??? Do you have some first hand experience ?

I would stretch to two maximum, but then again monogamy has it's benefits, albeit limited ones.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Syph View Post
    How many did you think I was going to have, like 5??? Do you have some first hand experience ?

I would stretch to two maximum, but then again monogamy has it's benefits, albeit limited ones.
    If you wait till you are in your 30s-40s, you won't be able to handle even TWO women of that age range. Sorry.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you wait till you are in your 30s-40s, you won't be able to handle even TWO women of that age range. Sorry.
    You're making the assumption that there will be more straight women than men in the relationship.

Poly works wonderfully for me, and Vashti, you have pointed out an important reason why it does work. We are all in our 30s in my house, and when the women in my life have worn me out, they can continue playing with each other. That's pretty much the point. No person can be 100% there for and compatible with another person, so why should we not expect to fill the gap with someone else? Add to that double or triple the love in your life, and I think it's just super swell. YMMV.

Polyamory is not polygamy. Or, at least, it doesn't have to be one person in independent relationships with many unconnected people. Those are the relationships that don't tend to work out. The poly families that survive are the ones where everyone loves and lives with everyone else. There's no reason syph could not have 5 other partners; it's not as if he would singlehandedly have to satisfy them all on his own. In such relationships, the maintenance costs per partner go down with each new compatible partner because there are more lovers available to handle them. And if everyone is at least 90% compatible, then there is a whole lot of overlap in a sextet that goes towards reducing overall maintenance.

I can't think of any benefits of strict monogamy myself, although it appears to work for around 40% of people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Moderation in all things, including moderation.

I'm a selfish bitch. I won't ever make my man share me so I refuse to ever share him.

That being said, I have friends in open relationships and from what I've seen it only works when BOTH parties are actually ok with their SO having sex with other people. In the end it looks more like a FWB deal than an actual relationship. One of my girlfriends who is in an open relationship says that it works because she doesn't love the guy and won't allow any deep feeling for him. All the while she's with him, she's looking for that Mr. Right that she can actually fall in love with.

Diseases, jealousy, envy, miscommunication and a very short longevity are the first things that come up to my mind when I think about Polyamory
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Could you make videos and have a side business?
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Seriously, I now very confused, I don't know what is love, I don't know what I should do, I now very upset

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Diseases
    Surely you've heard of "safe sex." It's all the rage these days.

jealousy, envy, miscommunication and a very short longevity are the first things that come up to my mind when I think about Polyamory
    None of these things, as we all know, are problems in monogamous relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    I'm a selfish bitch. I won't ever make my man share me so I refuse to ever share him.

That being said, I have friends in open relationships and from what I've seen it only works when BOTH parties are actually ok with their SO having sex with other people. In the end it looks more like a FWB deal than an actual relationship. One of my girlfriends who is in an open relationship says that it works because she doesn't love the guy and won't allow any deep feeling for him. All the while she's with him, she's looking for that Mr. Right that she can actually fall in love with.
    You are describing swinging, not polyamory.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pry View Post
    when the women in my life have worn me out, they can continue playing with each other. .
    Eww. Well, that's a scenario I never thought of, to be honest. I suppose I would support polyamory then, but only if it involved two heterosexual men. I'm selfish.

Surely you've heard of "safe sex." It's all the rage these days.
    The risks of stds increase sharply with the increase of sexual partners, this is supported by statistics

None of these things, as we all know, are problems in monogamous relationships..
    They exist in much milder forms in monogamous relationships in comparison, in Polyamorous they are multiplied by the amount of partners present.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast