+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Where can I meet guys my age?

Where can I meet guys my age?

I know people always say "You can meet people everywhere!" but some places are just harder than others. It's harder to try and make friends or date someone you see at a grocery store than say a coworker you see everyday. I'm in college right now in NYC, but the dating pool in my school is basically not an option. The majority of the students are girls, and the majority of the guys here are gay. The straight guys are really promiscuous. In fact, everybody in my school tends to be really promiscuous. People here are not looking for relationships. I haven't met any guy that I'm attracted to anyway, so I feel like I have to look elsewhere.

But I have NO IDEA where. I can't really afford to be taking up classes for cooking or things like that in order to meet people. I already have a good job, which I'm not giving up to find a new one, and all my coworkers are at least 20 years older than me. I've started going out on my own to museums and libraries and parks, but it seems like I only ever get hit on by creepy older men who look like they want to rape me rather than have a relationship with me. Usually that kind of attention (like getting comments by people in cars) makes me feel less attractive and really uncomfortable and I end up wanting to go back home. It also makes me think that all guys are assholes and that I'll never find a decent one who knows how to respect a girl.

Does anybody have any idea of where I could go? I'm 19, for those wondering. I don't know where to find the guys around that age group.

Church? I don't know, I think some churches offer younger aged groups or even singles mingle nights. Don't just assume based on how a guy looks or who he hangs out with he doesn't want to date a girl. You never know unless you get to know them. Plus, its hard at your age. So many people don't want to be tied down yet, but they are out there. Do any of your co-workers have younger sons or guys they could introduce you to? Maybe try speed dating or online?
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I've lived in NYC for about 12 years and have always found dating here to be rough, so I feel your pain. Alot of the men your age are not in the mindset of wanting to be tied down and there are like 3 women to every 1 man here.

On the flip side, there are a MILLIONS things to do here. Look for events on going.com or meetup.com Go to book-readings, seminars, gallery openings, online dating, speed-dating. Hell, just hang out in a coffee shop filled with students.

Dating here will try your patience, but you will find dates eventually.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I'm not really looking to find my husband or anything. Yes, I do wish that I could find someone to have a cute relationship with, but I have no dating experience, so I might find that I just want to play the field. I'm just looking for some experience with the opposite sex. I don't mean that I want to have sex with the first guy who offers just so that I can say I have "experience", I mean experience as in learning how to flirt and seeing how guys ARE when they date.