+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "MY Dear" - am I reading into it to much?

"MY Dear" - am I reading into it to much?

Hello everyone. I'm new around here .

Here's the story. I've been seeing a girl for 2 months or so now. A mutual friend of ours set us up originally but since then hasn't done anything to move things along between the two of us. She hasn't had to. Me and the girl she set me up seem to get along great. Since we met we have gone out on a number of dates and we talk pretty much every day, mainly via texts but on the phone as well, and lot of the "firsts" are out of the way. However, things seem to be moving a bit slow. Now, I'm not really upset about this. Given how we met, our personalities, and other things, I'm actually OK with this. I know she does like me but my biggest problem has been trying to figure out what she wants in terms of our relationship. As of right now we are not an "official" couple as we have not talked about it. Personally, I would like to be a some point in the near future. This brings me to my question...

A couple of times in the past, within the first month of when we met probably, she called me "dear" but I didn't think much of it given her personality and the context it was used in. Both times it was something along the lines of:

Her: How was your day?
    Me: Bad.
    Her: oh, I'm sorry Dear.

So, yes, I'll admit, it was kinda nice to hear that but still, I didn't think much of it. Yesterday, however, was a bit different. She sent me a text last night that said "Hello my Dear. How was your day?" Now maybe I'm alone here but, to me, putting the MY in there gives it a whole new meaning. Again, though, I will admit, I felt good when I saw this. Perhaps as a sign she would like more out of our relationship. Maybe make it official but I don't know - as sure as I am that she likes me in a romantic way, she is hard to read. What do you think? Am I reading into this to much? Should I just take it with a grain of salt and think "oh, that was sweet but doesn't necessarily mean anything other being a nice gesture" or does it take on a new meaning with MY in there?

You sound like Chandler Bing from FRIENDS.

I think you are worried over nothing. If its been two months and you are still hanging out and its not just hooking up I'd say things are fine. If its bothering you that much I'd say talk to her about it now. Unless you are worried about her dating other guys, I'm not sure how the boyfriend/girlfriend label would change your relationship. Some people just don't need to have the talk about what you are or are not, she may just be that way. Like I said though, if its bugging you then speak up.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I have a friend who likes to use that word too. I find it too old fashion so i kind of giggle everytime she uses it. It's just one of those words people use. You are reading too much into it.

ask her to be ur gf, then u will know and both be on the same page.

The use of MY means she feels she has a close relationship with you. so you pretty much are an official couple.

However people don't always use word in propper contex. you could say you love cheese but that wouldn't mean that you have emotional feelings for it. using my dead could just be a different more fun or playful way of reffering to you.

but whatever it does mean there's about a 100% chance it's a good thing she called you that, so, don't worry, be happy =D

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You are reading too much into it. I call my patients "my darling" or "sweety" all day long. It's just conveys warmth, that's all.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I use to get the "my dear" stuff often....mostly from old ladies though..
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, I guess I'm getting to be an old lady. :-\

Oh, well. It beats the alternative.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Yeah, I guess I'm getting to be an old lady. :-\

Oh, well. It beats the alternative.
    lol. You are still long long way from that, vash.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings