+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long Distance Relationship?

Long Distance Relationship?

im 16 and ive been going out with my boyfriend for over a year. we're ridiculously close and our relationship has been great so far. im moving to another country in the summer, so we're going to be apart for the last two years of high school. And im just not sure what i should do. i love him, and for anyone but him i wouldn't even consider long distance cos im not the sort of person who would be able to handle it.
    help me, what should i do?

Take a break. This is too much time away to be able to make it work. It's not a tragedy- it just makes sense.
    Spammer Spanker

Tricky one, but may I ask how far away you're moving? Is it a short flight away? I live in the UK, so I guess Europe is easily and quickly accessed if I were in that position. Not sure how I'd feel if it were further afield. Although, I too have a very good and happy relationship with my boyfriend as you say you do also. In my case, I'd stay with him and see what happens. Always better to live and learn rather than look back and wonder "what if?". Maybe i'm naiive, and i understand you're in a difficult situation, but I've always thought that if two people want to be together you'll find a way. Two years isn't forever. Good luck

At 16, I'd say two years may as well be forever.

You're going to be immersed in a new culture, new people and new experiences. Staying together just doesn't make sense; you will grow apart so I'm with Giga, take a break and enjoy being a high schooler abroad.
    Keep your love life off Facebook, don't cheat, it's never too soon to make a move on a woman you like.

Not that i'm implying that you shouldn't know your own mind at 16; quite the contrary. You're obviously a very intelligent and ambitious girl to be leaving his/her country at 16 to study, so congratulations. Although, unfortunately, I didn't notice the part where you mentioned you're only 16 (I skim read, bad habit!). My advice would be to immerse yourself as the previous poster suggested and see where that takes you. You're potentially going to have an incredible time, so don't hold yourself back for the sake of your relationship. Im sorry if I sound like a turncoat, im not disrespecting you because of your age, just envious that I'm not still at Uni and set for two years of exciting travels i guess!