+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Racial Preferance?

I consider this a racist thread. As a person of mixed race, most posters here know my feelings.

I am mostly attracted to European women but there are others who i find attractive as well so it depends.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Perryville View Post
    I consider this a racist thread. As a person of mixed race, most posters here know my feelings.
    How is it racist, my red-skinned brother?

Dopp, the title makes it racist. Had the OP asked what features or combination of features are prefered by posters, I would have no problem. By making it RACIAL preferance, he is implying that certain features or combinations are Negroid, Caucasian or Oriental. All blacks have kinky hair(not true) all orientals have slant eyes(not true)all caucasians have blue eyes(not true). There is ONLY one race, HUMAN.

I think the term was used quite loosely, since the kid can't even spell preference correctly.

Is it racist to acknowledge the stereotypes, or better yet, the attraction to those stereotypes? Or would it be better not to? This was a philosophical debate in one of my teaching courses, proposed by a native professor. His opinion was that we shouldn't be color blind.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I seem to have a weakness for intelligent guys with piercing blue or grey eyes. Usually set off by brown/dark blond hair and skin tone. But, most important is a 'brightness' to the eyes. If they are dull, its never on for me.

I don't feel that it is racist to acknowledge that stereotypes exist, but it is racist to use the stereotypes to define people.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Perryville View Post
    I don't feel that it is racist to acknowledge that stereotypes exist, but it is racist to use the stereotypes to define people.
    But there are some who do, tho and take this whole PC business to an unreasonable extreme.

Things in biology exist on a guassian curve. There are the 2% exceptions to every case, in BOTH directions, btw. There are situations where its unreasonable to expect to analyze every individual case. If I was given a choice b/t a female and a male firefighter to come to my house and rescue my son from our burning house, knowing nothing else, I would pick the man. That might be unfair to the woman, but shrug.

I think this thread should be changed to a more general question of "What combination of physical features do you find attractive in a male or female?" instead of asking for racial preferance. Afterall, being of a certain race doesn't entail beauty. In fact, many posters here find mixed race the most attractive. So, if people can pick certain physical features of different race and combine it within one person, they would.

Being racist means associating values to racial categories. And this thread certainly is doing so by linking beauty with race.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    If I was given a choice b/t a female and a male firefighter to come to my house and rescue my son from our burning house, knowing nothing else, I would pick the man. That might be unfair to the woman, but shrug.
    Then, you should never be a director of a firefighting department. With an attitude like yours, you would discriminate female fire fighters from joining the force. This results in discriminatory hiring practices. Any female passing the test is equally capable as a male firefighter therefore should be permitted to become a firefighter.
    Last edited by lastwish; 15-03-10 at 10:32 PM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post

Then, you should never be a director of a firefighting department. With an attitude like yours, you would discriminate female fire fighters from joining the force. This results in discriminatory hiring practices. Any female passing the test is equally capable as a male firefighter therefore should be permitted to become a firefighter.
    Agreed, assuming the female has to pass the same test as a male in order to be hired. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think they do.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ugh. I think more than anything, I cannot stand the hyper-sensitive self-righteous folk who purposely seek excuses to take offense. How utterly pathetic and how racist! Can't you be needlessly offended by something else? Politics, perhaps?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I can understand how you could think this is a racist thread. I somewhat disagree.

Just reading the title it's easy to judge the thread but when you read the contents everyone here is pretty mature and I haven't read a single comment that I would deem offensive. Believe me, I've read some really hurtful things in similar threads on other sites and I think Love Forum users deserve a lot of credit for their maturity and the fact that they are not racist.

The better title probably is: "What physical characteristics do you prefer" but that's also a different question. If we go by features, I prefer tall men with broad shoulders, swimmers bodies, and Abercrombie and Fitch model faces. The color of his hair/eyes/skin means nothing to me. The combination of those features are my kryptonite regardless of race.

If we are talking race and preference, my preference would be to be with a man of color (be he Latino, Black, Asian, Mixed or whatever). Does that make me racist? If all I said was that you'd probably think so. The truth is I've dated guys of many races, white guys included. White guys seem to be the group that understand me the least. I am a Black girl with mostly Asian friends who is into Sci Fi, video games, snowboarding and rock climbing. I am a nerd who reads a ton who was also a cheerleader in high school and a professional dancer (ballet, not stripping ) in college. That's just me. Most of the guys I've dated have accepted that but white guys always have a hard time with it. They say things like: "I've never liked a black girl before but you're cool..." or "You're not like Black, Black..." To me that's offensive. Or course I'm Black! Just because I'm a nerd doesn't make me any less Black. It's not like I'm special. I know tons of chicks just like me. Just because I don't fit you idea of what Black isn't doesn't mean I'm not Black. -_-

If the guy I'm dating says these things to me it will end up in a fight. I'm not the type of girlfriend who starts fights, I'm pretty chill, so this always comes as an unpleasant surprise to the guy. We always move on. He learns what he said that hurt my feelings and doesn't say it again, but I don't like having to have that talk! I don't like having to explain to my boyfriend that I'm not weird, I'm just me and he shouldn't base his opinion on Black women based off of what he sees on BET. The fact that I've had this type of conversation with EVERY white guy I've dated makes me prefer to date other races who I haven't had these kinds of talks with.

So I ask again, does this make me racist? I don't think so. If I walked out of my house today and fell in love with a guy that was perfect for me in every way but he happened to be white, well I guess my next boyfriend would just be white and there would be nothing I could do about it. You can't control who you fall in love with, no matter what you prefer. But everyone does have a preference.
    Last edited by LailaK; 15-03-10 at 11:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post

No, I wouldn't. This is where you are wrong. Any female passing the test means they meet the *minimum standards*. I don't give a crap about discriminatory hiring practices, only who can do the best job. I believe in filling jobs from the top-down, not bottom up.

If there are 10 hired spots to fill and 50 applicants, some of whom are women who can barely carry the 100lbs of gear but at least 10 guys who can do it relatively easily, then I'm hiring the guys.

Does that make me a traitor to my sex? I don't think so. It makes me a GOOD director unwilling to belly up to BS politico hiring quotas, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    No, I wouldn't. This is where you are wrong. Any female passing the test means they meet the *minimum standards*. I don't give a crap about discriminatory hiring practices, only who can do the best job. I believe in filling jobs from the top-down, not bottom up.

If there are 10 hired spots to fill and 50 applicants, some of whom are women who can barely carry the 100lbs of gear but at least 10 guys who can do it relatively easily, then I'm hiring the guys.

Does that make me a traitor to my sex? I don't think so. It makes me a GOOD director unwilling to belly up to BS politico hiring quotas, frankly.
    Which is why women have to train 10 times harder to succeed in a role that is considered traditionally male. Physical jobs are physical jobs. If a woman can lift the same as a man (and some butch women can, believe me) she should get the same shot as a man of her skill level. Same goes the other way around. If a man is really good with children and has a degree in education, he should get the same shot as a woman at becoming a preschool teacher.

I agree and disagree with both of you. It's wrong to discriminate if the person is skilled, capable, and can do the work just as good or better than their competition. Sounds like your assuming no woman would be able to. That's not very nice on your part, nor is it true.

I also don't believe in handing out jobs to fill a quota. Here's why: I'm smart, graduated top of my class from a good school, I have my MBA at a very young age (also from a good school), I'm very good at my job yet I've been accused of receiving my job to fill some sort of quota. That's bulls**t. I earned my job, but that won't stop stupid people from thinking otherwise just because I'm a chick and a minority. That irks me.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    Sounds like your assuming no woman would be able to. That's not very nice on your part, nor is it true.

I also don't believe in handing out jobs to fill a quota. Here's why: I'm smart, graduated top of my class from a good school, I have my MBA at a very young age (also from a good school), I'm very good at my job yet I've been accused of receiving my job to fill some sort of quota. That's bulls**t. I earned my job, but that won't stop stupid people from thinking otherwise just because I'm a chick and a minority. That irks me.
    No, you didn't understand my post. I fill jobs based on skill sets. In my workplace, you would stand a very good chance of being hired by me IF you have the necessary skill set. But a woman with an MBA wouldn't be close to enough for me.

I'm a woman. I have a top degree from one of the best schools in the world. I'm better than most women at what I do and many men. But I don't begrudge the guys who are better than I am, that's just how it goes. I'm not willing to do what it takes to become the 'best of the best' in my area, I would have to make too many compromises that I don't think are worth the return. I like sailing on the weekends and spending time with my family.

I know too many women who have an 'advanced degree' but they aren't that intelligent, IMO. Frankly, degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays, even from 'good' schools. What I see with women is they often lack certain other skills that make for a successful workplace. When I see a woman with the right skill set, I hire her but not simply b/c she's got a vagina. I don't think women need or deserve any special treatment and its actually an insult to provide incentives for them. I didn't need any; I was actually offered a 'woman's scholarship' as a student and I turned it down.

I hold 'visible minorities' to the same standard I hold myself. In fact, where I am the visible minorities are actually expected to become the majority in less than a decade. Shrug.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast