+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Racial Preferance?

Maybe I'm not understanding you and you're not understanding me.

I believe it's wrong to discriminate based on race, gender, etc. I think you feel the same way.

I also don't take "hand outs" and I don't like when people assume I do. I think you feel the same way.

An MBA may not be good enough for you, but I wouldn't have gotten hired for my job without it. The MBA is a requirement for what I do. As far as I'm concerned though it's just a piece of paper to get me through the door. I work 10-12 hours a day, EVERYDAY. I eat my lunch at my desk. I also work from home a lot on the weekends and evenings. That's not even considered above and beyond in my field, that's just what everyone does. Most of the women I work with admit that their sig. others have to be very understanding because our jobs are all consuming.

I do it because I love it and I like making good money. I get very upset when people imply I'm where I am because of a hand out and not because of good old-fashioned hard work.

Basically, everyone should be held to the same standards. You shouldn't look down on people or give them special help based on superficial reasons. I think you are saying the same thing I am.

A scholarship based on race/gender or something superficial is kind of wrong in my opinion. A scholarship based on socio/economic reasons is a much better use of money. My reasoning for that is because a scholarship benefiting kids from a poor community gives all of those kids (of all races and both sexes) a chance to afford something they wouldn't have been able to. It's not excluding anyone who is in need.
    Last edited by LailaK; 16-03-10 at 01:03 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, all I can say is I feel very sorry for women (or men) who feel like they need to work those ridiculous hours to be 'successful'. I don't and I didn't, even in school. Mbe I'm just lucky or very efficient.

Its not about the MBA, or any degree for that matter. I know exactly how hard it is to get a degree, having several myself. Tho you are probably too young to realize it, your work habits are not actually a selling point for me. Again, I don't care how about the hours you work, your degree or any minimal requirements you meet. I care about getting a job done. If I have someone who worked 1/2 as much as you but got the same amount done, then I'm fine with them working a 3-4 day week. I have people like that, in fact, and I reward them. Performance, meritocracy. Not degrees and quotas and 'trying hard'.

Anyway, I'm off today and you probably are not. Please don't work a 13 hour day b/c of this thread.

I don't work hard to be successful. I work hard because that's what everyone around me does, male or female. It's what we have to do in order to get the job done. Working crazy hours is not "extra", it's the minimum we have to do to keep our jobs and be productive. I love my job. You shouldn't feel sorry for me, it's a choice, one that I'm happy to make. I'm living my dream and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I still don't think you're understanding me though. I'm not trying to sell myself to you. I'm good at my job, if I wasn't I would have been fired.

My point is: I work hard. I respect people who work hard and are good at what they do. I don't like it when people think I'm skating through and filling a quota because I am a minority. I do my work as well as (and most times better than) my peers and that's what everyone should be judged on.

Again, I think we're saying the same thing.

I'm off today too! PTO is a wonderful thing.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I guess I've learned to dissociate myself from caring what other people think independent of the job getting done. I've had men assume I'm the CEOs 'assistant' when we show up to business meetings b/c I'm a decent-looking woman. Before I open my mouth, that is. There are stereotypes in science too about women, much more than in business actually. It doesn't bother me tho. It actually gives me a window into their psychology that I've actually used to manipulate situations. You should try this as well. If the attitude is coming from someone who *isn't* any good to you and you can't manipulate, then just ignore them.

That good advice. As long as my team and my boss know that I'm good at what I do, everyone else can kiss my butt.

I'm still going to appreciate the shock on their faces though when they realize that I'm the decision maker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOOL, there you go. Ideally, there won't be shock, just support, if you build your team well.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I think the term was used quite loosely, since the kid can't even spell preference correctly.
    Pardon me for not being as ESL case and having learned the mechanics of English in adulthood, maybe I'll learn to write in Cyrillic and become an anal grammar queen too (not bloody likely)

Quote Originally Posted by Perryville View Post
    Dopp, the title makes it racist. Had the OP asked what features or combination of features are prefered by posters, I would have no problem. By making it RACIAL preferance, he is implying that certain features or combinations are Negroid, Caucasian or Oriental. All blacks have kinky hair(not true) all orientals have slant eyes(not true)all caucasians have blue eyes(not true). There is ONLY one race, HUMAN.
    Your just another stereotypical ignorant American, better to ignore the subject of race, placing our hands over our ears and screaming lalalalalalalalayeswecanyeswecanlalalala

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Agreed, assuming the female has to pass the same test as a male in order to be hired. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think they do.
    Then, we share the same opinion. I certainly think female and male firefighters should pass the same test.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Ugh. I think more than anything, I cannot stand the hyper-sensitive self-righteous folk who purposely seek excuses to take offense. How utterly pathetic and how racist! Can't you be needlessly offended by something else? Politics, perhaps?
    Racism is political

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    No, I wouldn't. This is where you are wrong. Any female passing the test means they meet the *minimum standards*. I don't give a crap about discriminatory hiring practices, only who can do the best job. I believe in filling jobs from the top-down, not bottom up.

If there are 10 hired spots to fill and 50 applicants, some of whom are women who can barely carry the 100lbs of gear but at least 10 guys who can do it relatively easily, then I'm hiring the guys.

Does that make me a traitor to my sex? I don't think so. It makes me a GOOD director unwilling to belly up to BS politico hiring quotas, frankly.
    You didn't understand my post. I argued that it is wrong to think a female cannot be an equally capable firefighter as a man, not to give preferential treatment to females just because they have a vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    Your just another stereotypical ignorant American, better to ignore the subject of race, placing our hands over our ears and screaming lalalalalalalalayeswecanyeswecanlalalala
    Give the hatred a rest, alright?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    But there are some who do, tho and take this whole PC business to an unreasonable extreme.

Things in biology exist on a guassian curve. There are the 2% exceptions to every case, in BOTH directions, btw. There are situations where its unreasonable to expect to analyze every individual case. If I was given a choice b/t a female and a male firefighter to come to my house and rescue my son from our burning house, knowing nothing else, I would pick the man. That might be unfair to the woman, but shrug.

Or if faced with pulling your kitten out trapped in a small bore drain pipe, you'd probably think smaller hands/female firefighter.

(Do firefighters rescue kittens anywhere in the world these days, incidentally?) heh..

like-minded

Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post
    Give the hatred a rest, alright?
    When and where did I show any hatred?

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    When and where did I show any hatred?
    "a-derr ignorant American" EVERYONE IN AMERICA HATES AMERICA SHITHEAD

Quote Originally Posted by nowomannocry View Post
    "a-derr ignorant American" EVERYONE IN AMERICA HATES AMERICA SHITHEAD
    Well I'm sorry, but America's views on race and how to handle touchy situations is truly terrible from both the left and the right. Your countries self hatred because of its past has carried itself over with its cultural influence and effected much of the rest of the planet in a negative way. Perryville espoused that attitude in flat out labeling this thread as being racist

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post

You didn't understand my post. I argued that it is wrong to think a female cannot be an equally capable firefighter as a man, not to give preferential treatment to females just because they have a vagina.
    Yes I understood. But passing a test, the example you gave, isn't the same as being the best at something. The tests grade for minimum capability and that's not the same as choosing someone who is best for a job.

Doc is right, tho, I would choose a woman firefighter to rescue my cat from a small drainage pipe. For the same reasons. Thank goodness someone understands. LOL.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast