+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Racial Preferance?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Yes I understood. But passing a test, the example you gave, isn't the same as being the best at something. The tests grade for minimum capability and that's not the same as choosing someone who is best for a job.

Doc is right, tho, I would choose a woman firefighter to rescue my cat from a small drainage pipe. For the same reasons. Thank goodness someone understands. LOL.
    And your test for choosing for the best is based on whether a firefighter is female or male? I understand that females are usually born with weaker physical abilities but it doesn't mean they cannot train their bodies to equal or surpass a male's. This is why firefighting is considered a male occupation. My point is that there are certainly exceptions.

Btw Vashi, I don't know about the states, but in Toronto, both female and male must pass the same tests to be a firefighter.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate everyone equally
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post
    And your test for choosing for the best is based on whether a firefighter is female or male? I understand that females are usually born with weaker physical abilities but it doesn't mean they cannot train their bodies to equal or surpass a male's. This is why firefighting is considered a male occupation. My point is that there are certainly exceptions.
    No. That is not my test. I already said how I would hire. Do you even know why you are arguing with me, LW? I swear sometimes you argue with me b/c I make you feel inferior or something. If that's not the case, I apologize, but you seem to do it a lot in response to my posts.

I already said: I would take the best candidates who pass the exam, regardless of their sex. But, chances are, they would all be male. Read what you posted and my response below. Again. Three ppl so far seem to agree with me, so not sure what it is you don't understand.

Remember, you are the one who posted the comment about the test and got it wrong. Passing a test only guarantees minimum standards. You also insulted my ability as a director (a position you have never been in). In fact, I'm probably one of the more objective ones out there. In contrast to someone like you, I never put someone into a job because they are male or female, whereas you seem to think it matters. I don't give a shit if I'm discouraging women from applying to take the test if they can't pass it or if they can barely pass but there are men out there who can do better. If there are better candidates for the job who all happen to be male, who excel on an objective criteria (like strength), then they get the job. I'm not giving her a job to fill some damned quota. If this doesn't agree with your fantasy of how the world works, too bad. Are you worried you can't compete in your chosen field, or what? If you can't then find something else you can compete at. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post

Then, you should never be a director of a firefighting department. With an attitude like yours, you would discriminate female fire fighters from joining the force. This results in discriminatory hiring practices. Any female passing the test is equally capable as a male firefighter therefore should be permitted to become a firefighter.
    No, I wouldn't. This is where you are wrong. Any female passing the test means they meet the *minimum standards*. I don't give a crap about discriminatory hiring practices, only who can do the best job. I believe in filling jobs from the top-down, not bottom up.

If there are 10 hired spots to fill and 50 applicants, some of whom are women who can barely carry the 100lbs of gear but at least 10 guys who can do it relatively easily, then I'm hiring the guys.

Does that make me a traitor to my sex? I don't think so. It makes me a GOOD director unwilling to belly up to BS politico hiring quotas, frankly.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This kind of argument pisses me off a bit. Its one thing to give someone a job based on a quota when its only their job performance on the line. Are there some female science profs out there who got their jobs partly b/c they are women? Yes, I know of some in fact. Better male candidates unfairly passed over, but I can't ever tell them that.

But, in the case of something like the military, firefighting, police, construction, etc. where someone else's LIFE might be on the line if you can't do your job, then quotas should never become mandatory. No lowering of the bar, ever.

Of course, I also happen to think that things like professional exams should be open to anyone and everyone, regardless of their background. Either you can, or you can't. I don't think someone needs to pay $500,000 for 4 years of med school if they can demonstrate equivalency. But I'm a bit weird that way.

I've worked with plenty of women who've not been competent at their position as compared to the men they've worked besides but were given the position due to their gender. Once in the various organizations, they've often been promoted over these same men for no other reason than they were female and they asserted their gender and/or aesthetics into any advancement situation.

Quotas are discriminatory.

But it's also disgusting to hear, "That position was mine, they're discriminating against me because I'm a woman. I'm taking them to the tribunal/union/courts. Sexist bastards" when you know damn well it's because they were: a. An idiot b. Less than qualified compared to another candidate (a male) c. A manipulative sow

I'm in 100 percent agreeance with your equivalency comment, Indi. It's like paying to be knighted by a money grubbing monarchy.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That said, it can also go the other way. Competent women passed over b/c the guy has a 'family to feed' so is perceived to be more needy of that raise. But, usually, that's not considering all the factors. I know extremely driven, competent women who are also megabitches and difficult team players. IMO, a slightly less 'competent' but friendly guy makes a better manager for a team than the brilliant, driven woman w/o the people skills.

As for the tests, its kind of getting there. These online degrees that ppl can take are starting to come from decent schools. I was reading that an experienced manager can get accepted to an online MBA without having to waste their time sitting in a classroom w/a bunch of inexperienced 20-somethings. There's a certain appeal to that provided that the standards for competency are retained.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Durian View Post
    I've worked with plenty of women who've not been competent at their position as compared to the men they've worked besides but were given the position due to their gender. Once in the various organizations, they've often been promoted over these same men for no other reason than they were female and they asserted their gender and/or aesthetics into any advancement situation.

Quotas are discriminatory.

But it's also disgusting to hear, "That position was mine, they're discriminating against me because I'm a woman. I'm taking them to the tribunal/union/courts. Sexist bastards" when you know damn well it's because they were: a. An idiot b. Less than qualified compared to another candidate (a male) c. A manipulative sow

I'm in 100 percent agreeance with your equivalency comment, Indi. It's like paying to be knighted by a money grubbing monarchy.
    I know plenty of men who don't deserve their jobs either but have them for some odd reason. Let's all just agree that stupid, incompetent people can suck it and don't deserve to breathe, much less have jobs.

Good Day everyone

Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    I know plenty of men who don't deserve their jobs either but have them for some odd reason. Let's all just agree that stupid, incompetent people can suck it and don't deserve to breathe, much less have jobs.

Good Day everyone
    True... and I like stupid incompetent men in the workplace. It gives me time to watch them stuff up, and for me to visualize myself in their position should they be fired for incompetency. I don't spend so much time with visualizations of the positions held by the incompetent females though.

They almost never get fired and if their position does change, it's usually to their benefit and I'd have to be stuck under their incompetency (with a smile).

Luckily, my organization is extremely multinational and therefore the race card would be impossible to use or prove as there are practically two of every nation under one roof.

But yes, incompetent people of any gender or ethnicity suck bollocks and the Politically Correct laws suck prong.

Wait i thought this thread was about race preferences in a mate, not race preferences in general.
    My white woman thinks it's funny that I (Asian) prefers her race even though most of the time I have the "FIGHT THE MAN" attitude.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaius View Post
    Wait i thought this thread was about race preferences in a mate, not race preferences in general.
    My white woman thinks it's funny that I (Asian) prefers her race even though most of the time I have the "FIGHT THE MAN" attitude.
    I don't get it.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If he has a dick and can use it, i dont really care.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

My Racial preference is HUMAN.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    I looked "halfer" to make sure before posting... sounds like you're my type. However, I'm not your type. I have Italian features, but I'm tall and not especially dark-skinned. My eyes are big, but pale green.
    Some folks tell me I look full asian others have said they think I'm white. You be the judge!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    Some folks tell me I look full asian others have said they think I'm white. You be the judge!
    Too many people confuse me for mexican.

I use "mexican" lightly, since I'm referring to anybody of any latino descent who is illegally working on our jobsite.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^ got a pic?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast