+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Present for 50 year old woman?

Present for 50 year old woman?

My fiance's mom's birthday is soon. I don't know what to get for her mom, and she doesn't have any ideas really either... She got her mom a gift certificate to get her nails/hair done... But I am lost, what do I get her.

Any older women know of a good gift for an older woman?

What kind of hobbies does she have? Does she collect anything?

My mom is 53 and she likes to cook so I usually get her a new kitchen gadget or cookbook...she also collects Fenton glass so I get her that.

What I have found though is that older women and younger women really don't differ much in what they like...they tend to like things that smell nice and/or are shiny.

You could make your own assortment gift...like a basket with one of those expensive awesome smelling candles in it along with some nice chocolates and her favorite teas and/or coffees....these are just a couple ideas.

My mom is big into gardening and it's springtime. Maybe you should get her a plant she could put outside when the weather gets nice.
    Spammer Spanker

You could make your own assortment gift...like a basket with one of those expensive awesome smelling candles in it along with some nice chocolates and her favorite teas and/or coffees....these are just a couple ideas.
    Thanks much for both of your responses! I like the gift basket idea! Fairly inexpensive.. $10 candle, $10 coffee, $10 chocolates, $10 basket/wrapping... Works for me

Menopause prescriptions

If your fiance is getting her a manicure gift certificate, perhaps you should get her a certificate for a brazilian wax and a new pair of lacy knickers ? LOL

Seriously though: whatever you get, don't outdo your fiance's gift in terms of price/quality. Your future mother in law will love you for it, but your fiance will hate you for it. If she's getting a certificate for $50, then you might want to get the plant that Indi suggested.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post

Seriously though: whatever you get, don't outdo your fiance's gift in terms of price/quality. Your future mother in law will love you for it, but your fiance will hate you for it. .
    Why is that? I can't imagine being anything other than pleased. Each according to their ability....
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Why is that? I can't imagine being anything other than pleased. Each according to their ability....

Having been in this sort of situation before, it is seen as "sucking up to Mommy" if you out-gambit the daughter in gift-giving. An equal value gift says "I'm your partner, not your Daddy" i.e., one who has to come in at higher price level to demonstrate paternalism. I mean, you don't go out and buy your future mother in-law a $400 fountain pen to say, "I love your daughter."

PLUS, whatever price level you are willing to go for the mother in-law, you'd better damned well be willing to spend on your own mother...or there will be hell to pay

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If your fiance is getting her a manicure gift certificate, perhaps you should get her a certificate for a brazilian wax and a new pair of lacy knickers ? LOL

Seriously though: whatever you get, don't outdo your fiance's gift in terms of price/quality. Your future mother in law will love you for it, but your fiance will hate you for it. If she's getting a certificate for $50, then you might want to get the plant that Indi suggested.
    Giga, mentioned, tho we are pretty much interchangeable on here.

Ive been deliberately staying out of this thread. So much depends on the lady's tastes. Personally, a decent bottle of grog is the way I've always gone for my father-in-law, but guys are much easier to please.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Having been in this sort of situation before, it is seen as "sucking up to Mommy" if you out-gambit the daughter in gift-giving. An equal value gift says "I'm your partner, not your Daddy" i.e., one who has to come in at higher price level to demonstrate paternalism. I mean, you don't go out and buy your future mother in-law a $400 fountain pen to say, "I love your daughter."

PLUS, whatever price level you are willing to go for the mother in-law, you'd better damned well be willing to spend on your own mother...or there will be hell to pay
    I think you spend to much time analyzing stuff, though you are probably right about what you would spend on your own momma.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Vash, I was dreaming of getting you drums sticks for birthday and sending them via post lol

I have no idea why it was this night, I even didn't read your drums post yesterday. My dreams are a bit crazeeeeeeh :p
    I wazzzz here

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks, papi! it's nice to know you think of me when you are sleeping.