+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Loneliness

Loneliness

Is it bad for you health to feel lonely. You just get feed up with the same routine all the time. You wish that there was someone special that you could spend time with. Is it feeling lonely that makes you push more to want someone in you life. It is said that loneliness and depression are very similar. How do you determine the difference. Is depression feeling the same way constantly. But then doesn't that make loneliness the exact same thing. How would you know which one you are.

YES, it is a health risk. I remember reading a good article on this a while ago by sociologist James House. Basically, a good social relationship with a lover or even friends helps keep us healthy. There was a large decrease in the amount of colds they contracted and even believed it to be a good preventive to health diseases. In the end, it said that feeling lonely and not being able to find a strong social bond was as large of a health risk as being overweight, having high blood pressure and even smoking... honestly though I doubt the smoking thing.

Here's his bio and a list of his works - ... odd this website won't let me post links because of my current post count.

VVWVV.psc.isr.umich.edu/people/profile/478/James_S_House

Sorry for the censor bypass folks. ^^;
    Last edited by lovesickloser; 16-03-10 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Censor bypassing.