+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experience with dating sites...

Am I the only one here who's had a great experience with online dating?

I meet guy out and about but I really like dating online as well. OkCupid is my site of choice and it's been pretty good to me. It's free, I get a ton of messages and it's almost like handpicking a date a week. What's wrong with that?

Mind you I haven't met anyone that I really like who also likes me in return but that's just like regular dating. I'm super picky and I tend to be attracted to guys who aren't attracted to me. Such is life. It's still fun.

Also, I resent the comment that younger women just want men to pay for things. I always offer to pay my own way. Does a guy impress me more when he takes care of things? Yes. But I don't expect it or take it as a given.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    HAHAHAHA yeah there are some true weirdo's out there.

By no means am I a cocky stuck little miss princess but I am a decent looking, smart, funny, blunt, hang with the boys type of girl yet all these total society rejects think they have a chance. I mean we live in a real world right. A pretty girl can usually get a pretty decent man. Same with the men. I would never go after mr. popular ladies man (think NEO type deal) because I know that he could have little miss perfect cheerleader. Yet these fools online think that the playing feild is all of a sudden a fair one!? Ummm no. Real world and online there are certain leagues and sometimes you just have to be real and go for someone who is in their league or only slightly out of it. IMO, only though.

All I asked for was a decent looking, non-pussy seeking, nice, genuine man. I didn't come out on top.
    See thats why I started a thread on that topic. You say that is what you want and most girls would but I have found thats what they want on the side lines to support them while they go nuts over guys who can wind them up like a spring...
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    Am I the only one here who's had a great experience with online dating?

I meet guy out and about but I really like dating online as well. OkCupid is my site of choice and it's been pretty good to me. It's free, I get a ton of messages and it's almost like handpicking a date a week. What's wrong with that?

Mind you I haven't met anyone that I really like who also likes me in return but that's just like regular dating. I'm super picky and I tend to be attracted to guys who aren't attracted to me. Such is life. It's still fun.

Also, I resent the comment that younger women just want men to pay for things. I always offer to pay my own way. Does a guy impress me more when he takes care of things? Yes. But I don't expect it or take it as a given.
    Well that's good that you gets so many dates. You must be a hottie. From how picky you seem i don't imagine you going out with loser looking guys lol. That line there "i tend to be attracted to guys who aren't attracted to me"..I don't get that at all. It really does sound like you're just not giving guys enough chances and you move on too quickly. Perhaps you should date 1 guy for longer and see if you change your mind. I've seen it happen many times before where a girl changes her mind so it's possible.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hahaha I guess for little girls! I'm genuine I want a guy who I can spend much of my time with and possibly for a very long time. I wasn't looking for flings, sex buddies, or surgar daddies to support me while I have wild animalistic sex with a "bad boy". I just wanted a partner. I found one guy who could have been just that but he turned out to be really physically unattrative to me.

But I hear yeah as many male rejects on the internet there are equally as many female 'rejects' (by that I mean girls you'd never want to date). I guess you, like I did have to somehow figure out how to weed the rejects out.

Looking back, I think if I had to do it again, I would PAY for a site. I have more control over who gets to contact me and overall control. It might help that the "suggest" new people to view... in the non-paying sites it would seem the recommendations were always the same...

Not long after college, I moved to a different state and re-started my social life from scratch. I met everybody through ads at first: friends and dates. So I did a lot of blind dates, classified ads in the paper, and later online dating sites. At first, it was surprising how many of the women that I met were actually pretty decent-looking. Usually, the problem was the lack of chemistry, and the fact that even average women were getting about ten times as many responses to their ads as I got to my own ads. I did have some good experiences, though only one long-term relationship...

...until I tried again with the online dating in '03. That site (eMode, later known as Tickle) featured a lot of quizzes, including personality tests and an IQ test. I enjoyed the tests, and eventually started asking out women from the site. I liked how the profiles included approximate IQ and a compatibility score based on personality test results. The first few women I met were decent-looking women, but we had zero chemistry. Then I contacted this one woman who was too young for me and had an unattractive picture. But we were "95% compatible" and our taste in music was very similar. And we were in the same IQ range. So we traded a few brief, friendly messages, then she gave me her phone number. That first phone call lasted three hours!

A few days later, I picked her up for our first date. Wow, she looked great! Her profile picture was accurate, just very unflattering,and didn't do her justice. The first date started great but there was a serious misunderstanding near the end. But that enjoyable three hour phone call made me want to try again. The next few dates were great, and we've been together now for over six years.

I don't know if my experience is useful. It's probably a good idea to meet soon, before you build up big expectations. Date locally, don't get involved with people living far away. Be yourself, don't expect too much, and keep an open mind. Don't judge somebody just by the profile picture.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u View Post
    Well that's good that you gets so many dates. You must be a hottie. From how picky you seem i don't imagine you going out with loser looking guys lol. That line there "i tend to be attracted to guys who aren't attracted to me"..I don't get that at all. It really does sound like you're just not giving guys enough chances and you move on too quickly. Perhaps you should date 1 guy for longer and see if you change your mind. I've seen it happen many times before where a girl changes her mind so it's possible.
    It just means shes young and immature when it comes to dating. I know a lot of girls like that.
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

I could never date someone I initially met online. It goes against everything I've come to realize about humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u View Post
    I don't think it has as much to do with looks as it does being confident and outgoing and open to meeting people.

I hear what you're saying about not giving guys enough of a chance. I try so hard to not be that clingy girl (and also not to get heart broken in the process) that I probably put guys into the friendzone quicker than usual.

I'm not sure what to think about OkCupid so far. The first girl I got along with on OkCupid turned out to be overweight. The second girl suddenly freaked out and didn't want to meet offline. The third girl turned out to be overweight. The fourth girl was 33 years old, but she paid for the drinks, so I didn't mind that. She turned out to be MARRIED.

The fact is, though, OkCupid is significantly more frustrating if you are a male. There are more guys than girls, and the guys are more aggressive, so a guy can't sit and wait for people to send messages to them. Even once you realize that and start messaging other people frequently, girls get so many messages that yours is likely to be passed over out of hand. I have been disappointed with my level of success thus far, and wondering what the problem could be. Although I've not indicated it to be the case, I suspect maybe girls think I'm just out for pussy. I also wonder how many girls avoid getting to know me because I will be moving to in August. It would be interesting to hear what one of the girls here thinks of my profile, if it's not too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Berkeley View Post
    It just means shes young and immature when it comes to dating. I know a lot of girls like that.
    Or maybe I just don't settle. Maybe I don't have to

The way I see it I'm 24 and I have plenty of time. Why date someone I'm not absolutely gaga for.
    Last edited by LailaK; 17-03-10 at 06:16 AM.

SirWagginston, I hear ya. I've noticed girls on OKcupid have a preconceived notion of me. If I can chat with them for a few I can break it but so far I've only met one girl who was crazy nuts for me really fast then vanished and the 2nd one im just getting to the meeting part but I got a feeling there is something wrong with her...

Or maybe I just don't settle. Maybe I don't have to

The way I see it I'm 24 and I have plenty of time. Why date someone I'm not absolutely gaga for.
    Yeah and you wont go gaga after a guy unless he totally ignores you... Girls like you make up a very large statistic...
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Berkeley View Post
    SirWagginston, I hear ya. I've noticed girls on OKcupid have a preconceived notion of me. If I can chat with them for a few I can break it but so far I've only met one girl who was crazy nuts for me really fast then vanished and the 2nd one im just getting to the meeting part but I got a feeling there is something wrong with her...

Yeah and you wont go gaga after a guy unless he totally ignores you... Girls like you make up a very large statistic...
    I can't deny that. The last three guys I really liked and wanted to potentially date didn't like me back as much and/or just wanted to be my friend. Not something I could control. I'm not one of those girls who will chase a guy down thinking that I can make him like me or pay attention to me more.

Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    I can't deny that. The last three guys I really liked and wanted to potentially date didn't like me back as much and/or just wanted to be my friend. Not something I could control. I'm not one of those girls who will chase a guy down thinking that I can make him like me or pay attention to me more.
    And let me guess no matter how good looking, honest and packed full of charm and money if he likes you its a no joy.
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWagginston View Post
    It would be interesting to hear what one of the girls here thinks of my profile, if it's not too much trouble.
    I'd read it. Can you PM it to me?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast