+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Throat is painful, can't even drink.

Throat is painful, can't even drink.

Basically, I can't eat, drink or even cough without my throat killing me. It feels as though it's been closed up by something and it's causing my breathing to act up too. This has been happening on off for about two/three months now and it's becoming horrible. I made an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday but the best they could give me was April 1st.
    I have a suspicion it's my tonsils acting up and I know that my mum had to get hers taken out around her early twenties [I'm 17] so is it possible that I might need to have mine taken out? I wanna try and know something in advance before seeing the doctor so that he just doesn't tell me out of the blue that I do if it's needed.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I had the same thing last year.It's called Tonsillitis and it's been really hard those few days I had it. Beside of those sympthoms you said, I had high fever (40°C , 104°F) , I was alone at home and that night was really hard. I went to a doctor and he didn't remove my tonsils, he just gave me antibiotics. I felt better already 2 days after. Of course it was hard to swallow them , so I crashed them and melt in the water. Besides he has told me to gargle my throat with a water with a small amount of apple vinegar (one spoon of vinegar for a whole glass of water). If it's Tonsillitis, it means there is bacterial infection so drink a lot. And if you start antibiotics, you should take also probiotics and eat yoghurts. It's very important when you take antibiotics, trust me And that's all I can say
    One thing I add is that there are doctors that advice to remove tonsills and some that don't. I personally never met one that told me to remove them and I've heard that's not good in the end. But that's just mine, my mothers and few doctors opinion.
    Of course visit by the doctor is very important so don't just rely on our opinion
    I wazzzz here

I do have a higher fever than normal. I've had tonsillitis before but it's never lasted this long so I'm a little bit concerned, usually it went away within about a week at the most. I usually eat plenty of yoghurt and probiotics so it's a little odd. Thanks for the tips, though. I'll be sure to abide by them [but the vinegar one doesn't sound too pleasant, haha].

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No no, the probiotics are to avoid side effects of taking antibiotics It has nothing to do with infection itself.
    And yes it's possible to have tonsillitis so long. 2 years ago I had it for one month. It was beacause a doctor put wrong diagnose and was treating my sinuses instead of tonsils. Everyday I was feeling weaker and weaker, especially because I had just 2-3 hours of sleep each day, I was waking up with caugh, could hardly breathe. So it is possible, if it's not treated or treated wrong. That's why it's important for you to get the right treatment soon.
    About the vinegar, you barely feel it , it's just a spoon for a whole glass of water
    I wazzzz here

I have that too on heavy nights of drinking and smoking.

I have had a throat problem for years now I'm 17 soon
    and I've had it for a long time. I never knew what it was
    I thought it was the cold weather until summer came and i got it.
    I always seemed to have woken up with it. I went to the doctor
    my first diagnosis was post nasal drip which I was told to try change my way of breathing during sleep.
    But i'd still wake up in the morning and if I ate my throat was so swelled up I'd either choke or find it hard to eat.
    I'm a singer so it's a real drag for me especially when I know no one else around me suffers and it just happens to be me.
    I complained so much my mum took me back to the doctors after I got it a week ago with a cold (this was when all my attempts to get rid of the pain failed me)
    and he told me that I may have Globus pharyngis which occurs when the acid from the stomach creeps up your oesophagus when you sleep
    mainly, I got given some acid reduction pills and nasal spray. I have it now and it's winter I have it with a bad cough and
    it feels this time like my throat has been stratched. You may have globus it depends on your symptoms
    or you may have tonsilitis as others have said & may need the tonsils removed.

I reccommend (even though it did not work for my globus) try brandy, lemon, sugar and a bit of vitamin C see what happens

Good luck

Sapphire x