+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to deal with regret?

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I'm not too sure I agree with that. It seems to mean do whatever you want without any forethought and then try your best to fix your fu*kups after the fact. I think that is both unwise and dangerous. Its like saying "oh yeah just run across that busy street without looking and sort out any problems you might have after you get across" ......well you might not make it across.
    I don't think it's applicable in every case or for every person, but I thought it might specifically help Kiechi feel better about whatever mistakes he feels he made.

I think that the phrase has more benefit when a person is faced with a decision that is complicated, where the path he or she should take isn't so clear. In your cut-and-dried example where the outcome (roadkill) is certain, the saying would be irrelevant.

Either way, you're free to disagree.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I see your point. I was under the impression that you thought this saying was apt for all people all the time. In my example the saying would indeed be irrelevant, which is why I gave it to illustrate that its message doesn't always apply. I agree that the statement is helpful and slightly comforting to someone who had already made a decision, or is about to make one that has no clear "right" path.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12