+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best/worst movie you've ever seen

My vote goes to many movies. I love tom hanks....
    so Forest Gump on Number 1. Then Die hard 4, Black Hwak down, cheaper by doazen and 5o first dates.

Best Films: Shawshank Redemption, Godfather, In the mouth of Madness, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Matrix (only the first one) and Nightmare before Christmas

Worst film of all time: The Passion of Christ

You know there are some films which are so bad they are good (Hard to die / Versus), there are some films which are so bad they are funny (Tape) and there are some films which are so bad they are annoying, boring, irritating and completely unwatchable. Mel Gibson's Passion of Christ was the last one. I can't believe there are some wackos out there who think it was a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Mish; 08-06-10 at 01:50 PM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Best of all-time? Apocalypse Now. Worst of all-time? Braveheart. Recent best- Slumdog Millionaire. Recent worst- All of Mel Gibson's movies.

Best - IDK, maybe The SpongeBob Movie?
    Worst - The first that comes to mind is "The Incredibles", the movie was all hyped up, yet I don't see what was so good about it.

There are many movies so it is too difficult to choose among them which are best and worst movie. From my point of view Indian,Border is a best movie which I have ever seen. LOC is the worst movie which I have ever seen before.
    Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble.

Best movies (in order):
    Titanic
    Shawshank Redemption
    Amadeus
    LOTR- Return of the King
    Gladiator
    Local Hero (OK, more of a personal favorite than a best movie)

Worst movies
    Waterworld
    I Know What You Did Last Summer

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 19-07-10 at 08:32 AM.

hi

mine is twilight
    Love is the answer to so many questions....

Quote Originally Posted by Perryville View Post
    Best of all-time? Apocalypse Now. Worst of all-time? Braveheart. Recent best- Slumdog Millionaire. Recent worst- All of Mel Gibson's movies.
    shame

mel gibson is a brilliant director

braveheart is one of the best movies of all time. the violence was not unjustified, it was very realistic to what medieval warfare would have looked like up close and personal

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Best Films: Shawshank Redemption, Godfather, In the mouth of Madness, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Matrix (only the first one) and Nightmare before Christmas

Worst film of all time: The Passion of Christ

You know there are some films which are so bad they are good (Hard to die / Versus), there are some films which are so bad they are funny (Tape) and there are some films which are so bad they are annoying, boring, irritating and completely unwatchable. Mel Gibson's Passion of Christ was the last one. I can't believe there are some wackos out there who think it was a masterpiece.
    its all Hollywood with you if those are your pics. the Godfather is so blatantly overrated its almost embarrasing WHAT EXACTLY ABOUT THE GODFATHER MAKES IT SO "BRILLIANT"? someone please enlighten me

the Passion of the Christ was an artistic masterpeice, the Romans really did crucify people and la dee da, thats how it probably would have looked.

I've seen quite a few great movies. My best top few are 'The Usual Suspects', 'Seven', 'Pulp Fiction', 'Shawshank Redemption', and 'Swimming With Sharks'. I love a good plot, and surprises. I can't really pick one as the greatest though.

Worst? Hmmm, I usually forget all about the bad movies that I see. There were a lot of bad movies in the 80s. No no wait! I've got it. There is a movie called 'Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus' that I saw when I was in Virginia. Believe it or not it was made in 2009, and the special effects were craptacular at best. There were so many plot holes to go along with the terrible effects that you'd almost think that they were trying to make the crappiest movie they could. The same director made another movie called 'Mega Piranha' that might have actually been worse.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    shame

mel gibson is a brilliant director

braveheart is one of the best movies of all time. the violence was not unjustified, it was very realistic to what medieval warfare would have looked like up close and personal
    I agree. I love anything to do with history and Braveheart is one of my faves too and the story of William Wallace is true....he really did exist.

Some parts of the film were not true to actual historical events though and of course the English are always portrayed as the 'bastards' in history. I mean we were bastards, but often there was a good reason to be ....

the Passion of the Christ was an artistic masterpeice, the Romans really did crucify people and la dee da, thats how it probably would have looked.
    I flinched throughout and even cried through this film.

If this film was true to actual events, then poor Jesus well and truly suffered

its all Hollywood with you if those are your pics. the Godfather is so blatantly overrated its almost embarrasing WHAT EXACTLY ABOUT THE GODFATHER MAKES IT SO "BRILLIANT"? someone please enlighten me
    Things about Godafther that stand out:

- The incredible cinematogrpahy. Filmed in 1972, you watch it today and it's hard to say that it was filmed back then, the pciture is crisp, lots of attention to detail, contrast, lighting.
    - Awesome acting, actors playing believable characters instead of themselves as is the norm in most current films
    - Interesting and believable storyline and motion story telling with good attention to detail, no hole plots, it's gripping all the way through
    - Score, authenticity to the time, design and many other qualities are what set this film apart from all of the others

I only mentioned hollywood films because I doubt many would pick up on other cinema greats from the world cinema like La loi, c'est la loi (Fernandel comedy masterpiece) or Fantomas series or La Grande Vadrouille or 12 стульев (With Mironov) - my favourite film of all time til lthis day, I doubt there are many films out there that can capture the feel of the book so authentically as this film.

The passion had some good cinematography at the expense of everything else. Think about:

The plot - There isn't one, the premise of a film is sadistic torture and execution of a man that last the entire length of the movie. But as a grindcore movie it pales in comparison to films like Hostel, so it's not even that good in it's own category
    The story development - There isn't one
    Acting - Somewhere between comic book caricature and nazi germany propaganda
    Scoring, sound, design, scenery - all designed to give you a headache and make you want to throw up

Tell me, what did you find good about it again?

Oh I forgot, another worst film of all time - "15 Minutes", I think it's a serious contender to the Passion, though probably it's not as bad. At least it just makes you fall asleep instead of making you want to bash your head against the wall.
    Last edited by Mish; 30-07-10 at 08:47 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Best: Gladiator, The Matrix, Boondock Saints (really, no mention of this till now?), Taken, Shooter, Hitman - almost all the movies produced by Pixar.

Worst: The only one that comes to mind recently was Shutter Island. You either love it or hate it apparently.

Inception is suppose to be amazing, haven't seen it yet though.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

@ Mishanya: Well looking at it the way you do I can see why you feel that way. I'm in no way saying that 'Passion Of The Christ' was the greatest movie of all time, but it was Gibson's attempt to make a film about a historical event. Movies like that don't necessarily have to have a plot because the real life event may not have played out in such a way to allow it to be molded into a movie plot. It is what it is. All of this is only relevant if you believe the bible is a book of historic events and not legends/fables.

@ Cbrider: I loved 'Shutter Island'. I love movies where part of the plot isn't apparent for most of the movie, then BAM, it hits you. I love those "ah-ha" moments. 'Vanilla Sky' is another love it or hate it movie that almost everyone I know hated, but I loved. And at the risk of being scolded..... What is 'Boondock Saints' and what is it about? No spoilers please, I might rent it tonight if it sounds like it might be good.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast