+ Follow This Topic

Thread: When should the parents meet the parents?

When should the parents meet the parents?

hi!

I have a good question for you all: when should my parents meet my boyfriend's parents? We have been dating for about 8 months and are pretty serious about each other. In fact, I'm sure he is the person I'm going to marry! I met his parents about 3 months ago and I have also gone to church with them (and my bf) several times. I really want them to meet my Mom and step-Dad soon. When do you think the best time to do this is and please share your own story if you want too.

Thank you!

I think 8-months is a bit soon to be doing the pre-marriage meet and greet scenario. Are you jumping into this because you're thinking you want to marry this guy? Is he aware of how you feel?

Hi!

Yes he does know how I feel and he supports it. We were thinking about maybe in the next 2 months or so. He and I have both finished college and have nice jobs, we have no kids and are responsible people. I don't know, I don't feel that it is wrong? His Mom and Dad are open to meeting sometime in the near future and my Mom just wants to make sure we are that serious. I hope that gives a better scenario.

8 months and you already want to get married? I'm not trying to knock you, but you guys are barely out of the honeymoon period of the relationship. I say give this some more time. If you want the parents to meet, do it over dinner or some other family-style event. Keep marriage out of the discussion right now.

Hmm..well marriage was never in the discussion! I am just happy with him and want to share the happiness. He and I have known each other for several years prior to dating and both our families live in our hometown. Plus we are in our late twenties. I think I should trust my own instincts on this one - I just thought I would ask.

Go for it then. Best of luck!

One step at a time and one thing at a time: have the parents meet the parents. Then you have to be engaged and then you have to be married. I know you love each other and are excited but what's the rush? You have the rest of your lives to spend together if this is how it's meant to be. Don't forget to keeing having fun while wound up with the idea of marriage.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You should have them meet at an informal gathering... maybe a BBQ or something where there will be plenty of other people around to distract them from each other if necessary.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Yes. Throw a big party for some other reason- don't make the parents meeting the central event.

Why does it sound to me like your mother isn't supportive of this relationship?
    Spammer Spanker