+ Follow This Topic

Thread: It's a confidence thing?

It's a confidence thing?

So I'm at that age (20) where I'm beginning to figure out who I am in life. I've just started university and all that shabang. I've been looking in the mirror of personal development reently and figured I could do a lot better if I were more confident. I have self esteem issues and stuff.

The weird thing is I'm really really really confident sometimes and most of the time I go back to been a mellow shy kind of guy. I have these comfort zones and act more confident around certain people and in certain rooms, but only at certain times. I can often see a pattern in these moodswings. Does anyone else get this?

It wouldnt be so much of a problem but it really mixes me up and its like I'm having an identity crises. I met my ex while I was in one of my 'confident zones' and we got on really well and then I went outside this sort of zone or time period and I went really quiet and insecure. She eventually got fed up with the moodswings and left me. It's like I'm two different people.

Another thing: I'm trying to find a kind of mid way point because when I'm really confident its hyperactive and borderline eccentricity and I cant concentrate on working and then when I go down its uber bad depression. I got a therapist and stuff and other stuff going on which I won't divulge here beause I'll be sitting here for ages typing it.

Any idea's/ similar experiences? Is it my age or? Any help would e very appreciated. CHEERS GUYS!!

I act differently in different situations too and around different people. I can only be totally myself when with my boyfriend, or when I am anonymous online, because I feel more comfotable. I think it's normal that when you are in a more comfortable situation you can be more confident.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleFreak View Post
    I act differently in different situations too and around different people. I can only be totally myself when with my boyfriend, or when I am anonymous online, because I feel more comfotable. I think it's normal that when you are in a more comfortable situation you can be more confident.
    True, I can't be myself in public, I am paranoid and thinking they will use my weaknesses against me. And with friends I usually just have to be a tough guy or they crawl over me.

I'm the same when it comes to super confident at one time and shy at the other. I've to settle it.

If I am forced to go to a party I usually hide somewhere no one will find me for most of the time. I become very withdrawn because being in a social situation where I am supposed to mingle with everyone scares me. It's very different when I am talking to just a few people that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleFreak View Post
    If I am forced to go to a party I usually hide somewhere no one will find me for most of the time
    lol I was forced to go into a club once, I found a corner and stayed there like a statue.. people thought I was a security guy haha

thanks guys for your reply!