+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Contact with strangers

Eye Contact with strangers

Hey, im currently in my last year of college and 18yrs old, so pretty young to be worrying excessively about this kinda stuff, but hey you gotta learn some time and im here to learn =)

Basically i have a little problem with eye contact, when i like a girl i find it really hard to make eye contact, if i'm looking at them and they catch me looking then i instantly look away as if im trying to hide that im looking at them, as if im scared they will catch me and think im wierd or something like that.

Now i know that eye contact it very important and im ok making eye contact with people i know but not for long as it kinda creeps me out after a while, but then again i haven't had a girl in my life for just over a year now.

I really want to sort out this petty problem as it's stopping me from being about to combat my shyness, and i really don't want to end up being a shy guy when i go to uni.

Anyone got any suggestions that could help me with this problem???

Just look directly into her eyes when you ask her a question or if shes upet and coming to you for advice.
    Other than that, when your just talking normally, focus of her entire face, not just looking into her eyes.

Your 18 and in your last year of college?

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I used to have this problem with eye contact too, while growing up. What helped me was to focus on the space between their eyes rather than looking directly into their eyes, for as long as I could. Slowly I became more comfortable with actually looking into their eyes.

Sometimes I still find it difficult to give eye contact for too long so I find an excuse to point out something we can both look at, to make it less awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Your 18 and in your last year of college?
    Maybe his birthday is at the end of the year, therefore seeming to be a younger than others but still born in the same year? I was 16 when I graduated high school, turned 17 the week after.

I live in england, College is the same as high school in america as far as i know, im quite old for my year, born in december so yeah, im normal age for where i am =P

Thanx for the tips so far but if i don't know a girl at all and just want to make simple conversation to make a good first impression or whatever, how would i go about not looking like i have psycho or pervy eyes???

Quote Originally Posted by Neo(n) View Post
    I live in england, College is the same as high school in america
    Okay, that clears things up a bit.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eye contact is the most awesome way to flirt! If a girl catches you looking, I suggest you just smile, and THEN casually look away. (Force yourself.) You don't have to talk to her, just smile... you will eventually be ready to move on to the next step.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Do you go to college .... not in the US ?

I think vashti gave excellent advice. After smiling and looking away, I would look again to see if she is doing the same. If she smiles back, that's a great sign. If she rolls her eyes or starts laughing w/her friends, it's probably best to move on.

Im liking the advice guys. I'm going out with some mates tmoro, so if i get the chance ill give this ago and ill try fit this into my everyday life untill im comfortable doing this =)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Neo(n) View Post
    Hey, im currently in my last year of college and 18yrs old, so pretty young to be worrying excessively about this kinda stuff, but hey you gotta learn some time and im here to learn =)

Basically i have a little problem with eye contact, when i like a girl i find it really hard to make eye contact, if i'm looking at them and they catch me looking then i instantly look away as if im trying to hide that im looking at them, as if im scared they will catch me and think im wierd or something like that.

Now i know that eye contact it very important and im ok making eye contact with people i know but not for long as it kinda creeps me out after a while, but then again i haven't had a girl in my life for just over a year now.

I really want to sort out this petty problem as it's stopping me from being about to combat my shyness, and i really don't want to end up being a shy guy when i go to uni.

Anyone got any suggestions that could help me with this problem???
    If they're female, look them directly in the eyes but unfocused. It's a good way to remain detached, yet appear interested in them while you're using frog vision to check them out. I don't advise unfocusing to check them out until you've got enough practice. Sometimes they'll temporarily change their gaze and leave you an opening to sleaze. You may think you have a second or two to really perve, but it's generally a fraction of a second and they can and will catch you if you're not in tune with their body language.

He's talking about girls, isn't he?

That's more of a macing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Where I'm from, making eye contact with strangers gets you shot
    Where are you from O_o

i'm pretty sure that doesn't happen around where i live, maybe a confrontation if you look at someone dodgy for too long...

i agree to vashti try and at regular intervals look at her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast