+ Follow This Topic

Thread: You look nice? So vague, but I have to wonder.

ryna88 Guest

You look nice? So vague, but I have to wonder.

What does it mean when a guy says "you look nice"? I have always wondered. 'Nice' just sounds so vague...and I think many girls would agree with me. Do they mean pretty? Attractive? Or just pleasant?

Okay, the real reason I am asking...Yes, I know, I know. This guy I met a few months ago and I somehow run into each other a lot on our University campus. When we first met, we couldn't remember each others' names but we always would recognize each other and he'd always extend his hand to greet me, smile, laugh and say: "I know we've met, but..." I finally got his name down, facebook friended him and basically we're becoming friends. He usually initiates a hug when he sees me.

Last weekend I ran into him again and he was just coming from the gym and so was kind of hesitant to hug me. I freak out and say, it's fine, although I really wouldn't have cared. He then said after that, "You look nice, where are you coming from or going?" It was nice and he'd never said anything like that before to me, although he has seen me dressed up before. I just told him I was coming from dinner with some friends, and he says, "Cool, where at?" We talk for a few more seconds and then part ways.

I really want to hang out with him but lately he's been booked with finals - I asked him to come to a party and he was at a school formal that night, then I asked him to come to my a house party coming up in a few weeks but he had his last final exam that day and was flying home (he lives out of state from the University) the next morning.

Guys - is the ball is in his court now? Should I just try to ask him for coffee? I mean, we both have 2 more years at the same school. He'll be back in the fall. I'm not sure if he's just friendly and nice, or if there's potential.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not male, but I'd say you've asked him out twice, so he knows you are interested. If he wants to go out with you, let him ask next time.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

haha make it easy for the guy and be straight up. use this " hey, i really want to get to know you more. I was wondering if we can hang out this friday?"

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nice means nice. It means good, it means hot, it means pretty it means nice. His excuses seem legit but you never really left it up to him. Let him know he has the ball in his court. Well when you get back let's go hang out... let me know when you're home!

Don't read into it too much. If you've given him a few chances and he doesn't spring at them, give him some time to make a move. If nothing happens, maybe try again or just keep in touch with occasional chatting (assuming you guys have each other's numbers/facebook or whatever). Keep yourself busy in the meantime, the time will go by quicker that way. Guys don't mind a gal having her own life ya know?
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Translation of his cryptic compliment: It means "You--look--nice"

Like someone else said, don't over analyze. 'Cause, the root of the word "analyze" is "anal"

Totally. This compliment isn't a typical comment, but rather a deliberate purposeful expression. There are lotsa things he coulda said to you...like "good to see you" or "hey what a coincidence".
    Instead, he commented on your good looks, so i think he likes you at least a little bit. If you like him, as him to go to lunch or coffee. That's very benign and allows you a chance to communicate.
    Don't think to much. Take action!!!

ryna88 Guest
    Yeah, I haven't looked at this post in a while. My friends finally got me to ask him to coffee and...he said, "I'd love to." His schedule is really tight since he's flying home the day after his last final and listed all the things he had going on, but he said while he couldn't make a definite promise, he's really hoping to get together
    Last edited by ryna88; 30-04-10 at 11:45 AM.

good to hear your finally get a coffee together

nothing worse than wondering how they feel about you with no direct answer.

^^I wouldn't even take the coffee to mean he's interested in that way.

Men have to be heavily pursuing me and before it dawns on me 'hey this guy is interested'.....