+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as being too clean?

Is there such a thing as being too clean?

I need some opinions, PLEASE! I know this might belong in health and beauty, but I am a "little" OCD, I think...

I just got out of the shower and my fiancé ask me why I showered so much. I told him I like to be clean. He in turn tells me that there is such a thing as too clean??? I usually take 2 a day, but sometimes 3. Depends on how dirty I feel...

What do y'all think? Am I "too clean" or just wasting soap and shampoo?
    Last edited by InLoveTrouble; 27-04-10 at 12:52 PM.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    during the summer i usually will take 2 baths in a day. if it's really hot and i exercise a lot, then i'll end up taking 3 showers in a day. i hate that sweaty and sticky feeling.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

3 times a day is too much, IMO. I think it also depends upon your job.

Umm.. I posted here before and the post is gone? That's weird.

I said I don't think 2-3showers a day is too much, that's what I usually have.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's okay when you are young, but it will dry your skin out when you get old, and would definitely be a problem. Of course, by the time you are old, you may not feel the need to do it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I got what you said raverboy...

My job right now consists of a full time job looking for a job. I also think it has something to do where you live geographically. I live in South Georgia around marshland and it can get quite humid and down right nasty. I do exercise a lot and also seem to pour sweat usually while eating. The doctors can't explain that one to me. But, I am also a little of a germaphobe(sp) at times and have to make sure I constantly wash my hands.

I am constantly reminded of all the diseases and viruses that go around in public and never leave home without germ-x. And I'm not saying he isn't a clean person, because he will take a shower before work and sometimes another die to working I'm law enforcement around nasty convicts all day. I just want to feel like I'm in the right on this one or am I just forever enjoying the hot water to melt away stress. Maybe that should be my next excuse...

Well, I'm headed to shower (LOL) and headed to look for a job...any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by InLoveTrouble; 27-04-10 at 07:54 PM.

Living in Florida, I usually shower twice a day. Not uncommon in really hot/humid regions like the SE US.

That being said, constantly washing your hands *is* overboard. There's a debate raging in the scientific community about exactly this. Some evidence exists that the overuse of antibacterial soap may actually be encouraging the evolution of "superbugs" that are resistant (the rationale being that all of the weaker bugs are killed off, leaving only the resistant ones to multiply unchecked). There isn't a true consensus yet, but the evidence is pretty good.

I'm of the opinion that your immune system needs some bugs to practice on in order to stay healthy. Particularly for the young. There's a lot of talk about the risks of keeping a small child's environment too clean, as their immune system may not develop fully.

There is no real "right" or "wrong" here, so I can't give you the validation that you want. Showering because you have been sweating is normal, but I'd suggest talking to someone about the germophobia instead of looking for more excuses to justify it. I just think the health benefits of would be negated by the effect all of that stress and fear would have on your mental health.

I understand that...if I had been in the nursing field prior then I wouldn't know about all the diseases, bacteria and germs floating around. I don't try to make excuses, but I has no other way of justifying it other than I just want to "feel" clean. Thanks for all the opinions...they are greatly appreciated.

Howie Mandel suffers from OCD in which he constantly washes his hands and has a fear of germs. In an interview he said that he literally had gallons of hand sanitizer in his work area. After constantly sanitizing his hands he developed sores on his hands because he had killed all the bacteria on his hands which left him open to attack by the resistant strains. Not good obviously. As someone who suffers with OCD I have to point out that the difference between OCD and having a routine (or preferences) is FEAR of you not doing particular things. If you had to skip a shower would you have a panic attack or get really stressed out? I also TOTALLY understand the whole sweating thing too. I used to sweat in the winter time while outside shoveling snow with a tank top on! Fortunately I don't suffer from that anymore (or OCD to the degree that I once did), but the "cure" was rather unorthidox and risky so I can't discuss it here. PM me if you want to talk about OCD or the "overheating" in detail.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

I wish more people would bathe 2-3 times per day. I live in Atlanta and work in a downtown hi-rise. Have you ever ridden 60 floors in an elevator with someone who needs a bath?? Your fiance should be delighted with your shower regimen. Maybe he's concerned about paying your water bill!

Haha! Water bill? We have a deep well...we won't run out of water for a while. And yes, I have been in those types of situations. The worst are when u are at a restaurant trying to eat. That'll ruin an appetite. He gets onto me all the time about not obsessing over the small stuff. If it's out of place, put it back in place...if it's dirty, wash it...if it's folded wrong, refold it (which is why I do the laundry)...and so on. I even find myself counting dotted lines on the pavement as I am going down the road, especially if I'm not driving. Or connecting an imaginary line from one light pole to another on the opposite side of the road. The closets are color coordinated, tops according to the colors of the rainbow and bottoms lightest to darkest.

I think I have dealt with this issue OCD for so long that I never realized how many pathetic things I do. It's a wonder I get where I am going not paying attention to the road. I also have a problem having to make sure that I don't let it get to the part of ruining life, but I refuse to be filthy. I wasn't raised that way and to hell with OCD on that. I don't think it has anything to do with it. He's always ask me why I took so many a day...I am just thankful for the sources to be able to get 2 or 3 a day.

If you know that you have OCD and you are okay with it then that's fine, as long as you accept that in the long run it may do irreperable damage to your relationship.

I read there are ways to defeat OCD successfully, but before going down that path it's important to want to change.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Depends on how long you shower for each time, doesn't it ? I think 1-2 times a day is good. Sometimes 3 depending on what I've been doing (and what I will be doing).

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    3 times a day is too much, IMO. I think it also depends upon your job.
    see, i live in hawaii where it's pretty humid. i can go to sleep after taking a shower, and wake up in the morning completely sticky again.

it also doesn't help that during the night, i'm sweating out all the liquor that i previously drank.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

It's not causing problems with my relationship and I am sure he will, in the long run, appreciate it. There are some nasty skanks out there that I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole. But, anyway, as I have learned as of this morning after going to the dr with stomach pain, backache, migraine and painful urination, that it can also cause uti's when u shower too much. Sorry if that's TMI, but it's the truth. So the debation Is be too clean or be sick???
    Last edited by InLoveTrouble; 29-04-10 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast