+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Professional Experience Question

Professional Experience Question

So, I'm in the process of applying for a cool job with a local magazine and I'm trying to rework my resume to market myself effectively. I want to use the fact that I'm an active Yelp community member (actively writing reviews about local San Diego businesses). A lot of people write silly reviews without much thought, but I take mine pretty seriously. I honestly understand how Yelp benefits the community as a whole as well as business owners and their patrons. Not sure I can spin this as "Professional Experience" or not, but I certainly think of it as such. Technically I can't see getting away with putting it up as "professional experience" given that I do not actually work for Yelp.

I certainly see Yelp as a professional development tool if nothing else. It became my go-to resource after I moved to San Diego and I became more active in the community thanks to this very functional website. Does the answer to this perhaps lie within the wording I choose? My reviews can speak for themselves for the most part, but I want to impress upon my potential employer just how invested I am in Yelp as a community tool.

What do you guys think?

It seems to be more of a hobby than professional experience....you could bring it up in the interview, maybe? Just casually, though.

I think you can use it to show them some of your writing, but you can't count it as professional experience. Good luck lahnna

Yeah! Include samples in your portfolio. Good idea....

I thought so... I do have a section of my resume titled "Community Experience". I wonder if it would be better suited there? And yes, I will bring samples in my portfolio. Thanks guys

Never enter that into your resume. 90% of the time it will get laughed at. We get so many resumes sent for each of our openings, we usually spend a solid half hour just laughing at the stupid shit people put into their resumes. This paper won't care that you are active on Yelp. This paper will care if you are capable of writing good reviews. Leave out Yelp, and write a review specifically as a writing sample to include with your resume. Take one of your favorite reviews, expand it, improve on it, check for errors, word economy, the general flow, see how it meshes with the tone of their paper. Then include it as an addendum so that they can see your talent in action.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    While I don't agree entirely with MVP, its true that each job receives a lot of resumes. Things I look for:

Short, to the point. If a tech director can sell themselves on one page, you should be able to also.

You need to be more 'them' focussed. While a resume is about selling yourself, its more about what you can do for the company. In that, MVP is right. Noone will really care *at that level* about Yelp, or whatever its called.

One of the best employees I just hired, literally look my point form list of wants from the ad, described experience and skills that let me tick off each one. I had no choice but to interview her, and when I did she blew me away.

I should be more specific. While I am not listing Yelp as professional development, it is getting sectioned off underneath an "Accomplishments" section. The magazine is San Diego Magazine. San Diego has a very active Yelp community and I used Yelp as a way to acclimate myself to the city when I was still new. Part of the requirements of this job will be my involvement in San Diego's culture, and Yelp has contributed to a great deal of my knowledge about this city. I do find that part of it relevant.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are you talking about this site:

[url=http://www.yelp.com/sandiego]San Diego Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors[/url]

Unless you did something like found the magazine or create the site, I think you are putting too much emphasis on it. Anyone can get stuff posted on the internet, there are way too many self-proclaimed experts out there.

I know this isn't what you want to read, but you've heard from a couple ppl now who look at resumes, in my case for many years. Best wishes with your job search!

I'm not saying I'm an expert. I'm trying to put emphasis on the fact that I am involved in the San Diego community which is a very important factor in this particular job. San Diego Magazine does their Best of the Best every year and is entirely dedicated to exposing new local businesses, events, and activities. I mentioned it under "Other Accomplishments" which is where I included some of my other hobbies. It is a one line addition. I am not going into detail about it at all. I realize what you're saying about that part. Yes, anyone can write anything on the Internet, but it is another avenue that employers can use to check up on you. Places are even using Facebook now to get information on candidates they wouldn't otherwise get.

By all means,
    bring samples and bring it up in the interview.

You may simply appear as a more qualified candidate because you throw so much effort into reviews, even in your spare time.
    Give me something I can take,
    Can take to make the memories fade.
    Poison kiss, remember this,
    I never was meant for this day.

I definitely plan on that. I've been fine-tuning some of my reviews. This job would be amazing. And I rock at interviews. Want it soooo bad.