+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Trash

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

They didn't realize the laws that apply to New Orleans, didn't apply to other places.
    You mean being drunk in public isn't okay everywhere?
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    You mean being drunk in public isn't okay everywhere?
    I've heard many stories of people here going elsewhere with a cup in hand (bottles aren't allowed here either), and the cops stopping them.

Usually though they let 'em off easy when they find out they're from New Orleans, home of the drive through daiquiris.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    Maybe you should move if you hate your city so much. I live in a lovely community in California. Low (practically no) crime, great school systems, roads, clean everything, cute little shops and restaurants, minutes away from San Francisco. The most commonly stressful situation I find myself in is whether to do my grocery shopping at Trader Joes or Whole Foods.
    All that is needed for a great school system, at least on the middle school and high school level, is a textbook and motivation on the part of the student

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd argue that a safe environment conducive to learning is also a requirement. I think most high schools fall well short. Mine did. Class constantly disrupted by students who didn't want to be there. Hostility in the halls. Intense pressure to rescind individuality. It was pretty shitty.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I'd argue that a safe environment conducive to learning is also a requirement. I think most high schools fall well short. Mine did. Class constantly disrupted by students who didn't want to be there. Hostility in the halls. Intense pressure to rescind individuality. It was pretty shitty.
    This is true for most high school, IMO. Basically, they are good for babysitting and maybe providing a study list. Really, all that's needed these days is what DM said: the textbook, reading list, and perhaps a study calendar to go with the syllabus. Download to your iphone and you are good to go.

Er....

Kids have a better chance at getting into fancy schmancy colleges if they went to a high school with a good rep and great college prep courses. Kids also have a better chance at getting scholarships if they go to a school with excellent sports, music, and arts programs.

A school with tons of money > A school with no money.

You can send your kids to schools with crappy teachers, facilities, programs etc. I'll send my kids to schools in wealthy neighborhoods, thanks.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    Er....

Kids have a better chance at getting into fancy schmancy colleges if they went to a high school with a good rep and great college prep courses. Kids also have a better chance at getting scholarships if they go to a school with excellent sports, music, and arts programs.

A school with tons of money > A school with no money.

You can send your kids to schools with crappy teachers, facilities, programs etc. I'll send my kids to schools in wealthy neighborhoods, thanks.
    Newsflash: Colleges don't really give a crap the high school you went to. Its not one of their main deciding factors. Your grades, the courses you took and (in US) your SAT scores are what matters.

But yes, education quality tends to be better in better-funded schools but that's not the same thing.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You people and your silly colleges.

Ya don't need college to be financially secure, live in a nice neighborhood, and be a lawful and productive citizen.

If my kid wants to go to college bad enough they'll pay for it themselves.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As horrible as people are, there are still some good ones to be found, and sometimes in the most unlikely places.

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37036210]Prison Payback For Grandma Beaters? - NBCSANDIEGO.COM- msnbc.com[/url]
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

If my kid wants to go to college bad enough they'll pay for it themselves.
    ughm. you suck.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    ughm. you suck.
    Looks like they brain washed you too.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Looks like they brain washed you too.
    who they? do you know how hard it is to get good grades and work?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    who they? do you know how hard it is to get good grades and work?
    What's your academic history?

Me and my parents basically went half and they let me live at home while I worked part time...of course we went the route of loans so while they have been paying on theirs I have just begun to.

Honestly though I don't get that whole thing some people say "18 and out"....I think that may have been true at a certain time in our history but anymore it is harder to get yourself established in the world....I believe it is the responsibility of the parents to help to the best of their ability to launch their children in the world.

For some people that may mean all they can do is offer a warm meal and a place to stay. Some people can offer even less. However there are also those who can afford to pay for everything. I don't think this should happen either. I have a friend who's parents have paid for everything for him from his education to a new car to even paying his rent and buying him furniture and tv and the list goes on....he doesn't appreciate anything he has nearly as much as I appreciate what I have because I have had to work for it. Even though my parents have helped me so much they own a farm, I worked on it...I earned my keep.

It is true that you don't have to go to college to become financially stable, I'll even agree that not everybody is suited for college. I have a cousin who is a little slow but can function and he basically got a piece of paper when he graduated high school that said he was there. That was good for him. He is a welder now and he makes decent money when he can find work.

My dad is a mechanic and while ASE certified, he never went to school for it...he simply passed the tests....he never went to school and he makes reasonable money.

That doesn't mean that I will handicap my children by saying that they can only go to school if they can afford to pay for it. Because when you fill out the FAFSA you have to claim your parents income...and if you make to much money they will not get grants but only be offered loans.

Higher education is quite expensive and I will assist my children in whatever way I can. However they will not get a free ride.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

What's your academic history?
    Well me personally, I graduated from Monroe Central Jr/Sr High School with an Indiana Academic Honors Diploma....I then went to Ball State University for 5 years where I graduated with two bachelor degrees. One in history, the other in classic cultures. My minors were ancient studies, medieval and renaissance studies, anthropology, and philosophy.

Yea I'm kinda braggin now...honestly I know it sounds like a lot but so many classes overlapped and counted twice I only had to take another 30 credit hours or 10 more classes for all of that.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast