+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleepy food- A thread for Qwerty and SirWagginson

Sleepy food- A thread for Qwerty and SirWagginston

I saw in another thread that you two suffer from insomnia, and I suspect that many more here do too. I generally avoid taking medicine if I can. With that said, here is part of an article that researched which foods can help with melatonon production (which helps you sleep)

When a person suffers from insomnia, her body may not be producing enough serotonin or melatonin to get adequate sleep. Certain foods stimulate the production of these chemicals, which help the mind and body relax and get to sleep. By making a habit of eating foods rich in tryptophan or melatonin close to bedtime, insomnia sufferers can get to sleep more quickly and stay asleep longer.

Cherries
    Cherries are one of the only food sources of melatonin, an antioxidant that helps the body regulate circadian rhythms and sleep. The antioxidants contained in fresh, dried, or frozen cherries can give your body the melatonin boost it needs to get better sleep, especially when confronted with jet lag or insomnia. For best results, try eating a bowl of cherries one hour before bed.

Dairy Products
    Dairy products like yogurt, milk, and cottage cheese contain the amino acid tryptophan, which helps the body produce sleepy-time serotonin and melatonin. Tryptophan is the building blocks the brain uses to create these sleep-inducing neurotransmitters, so the more you get, the more your brain has to work with. Try eating some low-fat yogurt or a glass of warm milk an hour before bedtime.

Complex Carbohydrates
    You can make the tryptophan in dairy products more available to your brain by pairing them with a complex carbohydrate like whole-grain bread. The complex carbs will encourage your brain to release insulin, clearing the way for the tryptophan to be absorbed. Sound like complicated chemistry? It's not. Just remember to pair your cottage cheese with a piece of whole-grain toast for maximum sleep benefits.

Bananas
    Researchers at the University of Wisconsin have found that potassium may be one of the elements responsible for deep, slow-wave sleep. Their research on fruit flies identified a gene regulating potassium flow as essential for fruit-fly sleep. While a link between potassium and sleep in humans has not been firmly established, foods like bananas which contain both tryptophan and potassium may be doubly good for sleep.[End article]

I'll also note that you can get a prescription for melatonin, but it will gradually lose its effectiveness over time. Taking the melatonin in pill form also encourages your body to stop producing it as much which causes a dependence on the pill to get any sleep. Don't take the pill unless it is for a short amount of time and prescribed by a doctor.
    Last edited by Incognito; 08-05-10 at 03:00 AM.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've been going for warm milk at bedtime recently. Escalate to whiskey if that fails.

Great excuse to eat fresh cherries, regardless.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Interesting, but as I am a very unstable type 1 diabetic, recently I am finding that if i eat anything after 6pm my BG levels go through the roof during the night
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Its kind of funny - all that stuff you listed minus the cherries is a regular thing for me to eat after I work out.

Protein shakes contain a ton of different amino acids, dairy and some carbs. I eat a banana or two after I work out, so that the potassium can help break down and remove the lactic acid left in my muscles. On top of that I eat a lot anyway, lol.

Its like a broken record, but exercise is kind of the cure all for life. I sleep much deeper and complete if I exercise during the day. I am far less likely to wake up "tossing and turning."

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

This thread should come with a warning. Eating anything within two hours of going to bed is not recommended and will probably cause you to have a worse sleep.

Eating too much before bedtime is not healthy. Have a light snack 2 hours before sleep time the latest. This advice has simple explanation. Your organism stays awake digesting the food, so even if you fall asleep part of your body is not "sleeping" and overall you still have less effective sleep which is not restful. You will need more sleep which in turn will not let you wake up easily.

[url=http://www.howtowakeupearly.com/Do-not-eat-before-going-to-bed.aspx]How To Wake Up Early :: Do Not Eat Before Going To Bed[/url]

Make sure any food you eat is at least two hours before you go to sleep
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    This thread should come with a warning. Eating anything within two hours of going to bed is not recommended and will probably cause you to have a worse sleep.

Eating too much before bedtime is not healthy. Have a light snack 2 hours before sleep time the latest. This advice has simple explanation. Your organism stays awake digesting the food, so even if you fall asleep part of your body is not "sleeping" and overall you still have less effective sleep which is not restful. You will need more sleep which in turn will not let you wake up easily.

[url=http://www.howtowakeupearly.com/Do-not-eat-before-going-to-bed.aspx]How To Wake Up Early :: Do Not Eat Before Going To Bed[/url]

Make sure any food you eat is at least two hours before you go to sleep
    So I probably shouldn't have just eaten that piece of cheese?...****!!!
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

lol @ this thread...

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not but I tried actual Melatonin capsules the past 2 nights. It really works for me. My trouble is always actually falling asleep. Makes me soo sleepy in 30 mins or less. The only drawback is I have some very odd and vivid dreams.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito
    I'll also note that you can get a prescription for melatonin, but it will gradually lose its effectiveness over time. Taking the melatonin in pill form also encourages your body to stop producing it as much which causes a dependence on the pill to get any sleep. Don't take the pill unless it is for a short amount of time and prescribed by a doctor.
    Last paragraph of my original post. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by dono01 View Post
    lol @ this thread...
    I don't see what is so funny. Some people have real trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. Qwerty and SirWagginston happened to be commenting about their sleep problems, so I posted this. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Last paragraph of my original post. Be careful.
    Oooh, good to know. Hopefully I can get my Lunesta filled within the next couple weeks.

And I don't thinks thread is silly either. WTH, mang?
    blue skies from pain.
    A smile from a veil?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Cold comfort for change?

i'm having insomnia really bad. i cry because i can't sleep.

btw cherries and bananas aren't helping me. . i eat a ton of fruit.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i'm having insomnia really bad. i cry because i can't sleep.

btw cherries and bananas aren't helping me. . i eat a ton of fruit.
    Weed always makes me sleep...although with that whole baby thing I wouldn't advise it...but I'm not a dr.

Seriously though have you actually spoken to your dr about it?...perhaps there is something you can take while you are pregnant.

I would think being pregnant you would be so exhausted sleep would not be an issue regardless of what sleeping disorder you have.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

that's the thing. i'm exhausted. totally exhausted. but i can't sleep.

i wish i could have me one of those nate doggs right now.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Sorry, I know how that goes. Insomnia is horrible. If you lived closer I'd bake a turkey for you. Turkey has L-tryptophan aka the sleepy drug.
    blue skies from pain.
    A smile from a veil?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Cold comfort for change?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast