+ Follow This Topic

Thread: ♪Stuck! Don't know how to talk to him, get his attention, etc...♪

♪Stuck! Don't know how to talk to him, get his attention, etc...♪

Hey, so I am in middle school. I like this guy whos in my math class. I dont talk to him much, but i do try to say hi at lunch and stuff. Sometimes he shows signs of maybe having interest in me. For example in pe awhile ago I was sitting out from my activity and he stopped to ask me what was wrong, or I would catch him in math staring at me.

So how do I talk to him without being nervous? Or I just want to get to know him better, too. Or if I wanted anything to happen, how do i tell him that I like him? And how do i tell if he likes me?

Any help is appreciated, thanks ♥

Sadly, guys your age don't have lengthy attention spans. Sure, there are exceptions, but most of the guys I knew back in middle school were too busy acting like fools to really notice anyone beyond themselves.

Staring usually denotes some sort of interest. And it was nice of him to ask you if you were all right. You may have to help him along though by continuing to be open and friendly. Perhaps find a way to engage him in conversation. Do you know if you guys have similar interests? Start with that first. You gotta figure out if you guys even have enough in common before you can decide what kind of gamble it would be to tell him about your feelings.

Thank you for replying I play competative soccer, and a couple of instruments. I know he skateboards but doesn't play any instruments or any other sports. I try to say hi t him whenever I can but I don't want to seem obsessive, you know? I'm pretty sure thats a turn-off for guys. But when it comes to actually talking to him, I get kind of nervous. It's weird, I usually don't have trouble talking to guys at all, including ones I like, so its just him. He is pretty mature and sometimes talks to me but not alot.

My friend is pretty close with him, and once they were talking (i wasn't there) and she casually brought up if he thought I was cute. He said yes! ) Another girl told me too, so I'm pretty sure they weren't making it up. But I know that thinking someone is cute and actually liking them can be totally spearate things, so I don't really know what to do. :/

Sounds like he's pretty well-composed for someone so young. None of the guys I went to school with had that going for them, even through high school and most of college. If his priorities don't lie in trying to see how he can humiliate his friends in public, or how to prank the teacher without getting caught, it gives you a better shot at catching his eye.

Young guys like that are shy though. Either they compensate by being obnoxious clowns, or they remain very introverted. You may just need to continue to be friendly and smiley. Does he carry around his skateboard? Maybe ask him to show you a cool trick. This will get you talking, and you can stroke his ego a bit.

No he doesn't carry it around, but once my friends and I were talking to him and he was telling us about this one experience he had with sakteboarding or something. What's cool is that he is really really cute, and alot of people think so, but he doesn't use it to become popular or anyhting like that, which is good. It just seems like whenever I have the opportunity to talk to him, I chicken out. Once he was standing with me and my friends, and I totally noticed him, but I talked to everyone but him. Afterwards I realized I probaly should have said hi and startted a conversatin or something. But I didn't. :/

First of all, you need to work on yourself, your confidence. The guy has noticed you by saying hi, you could build on that without necessarily betraying your emotions. When next you both are engaged in any exchange of pleasantries, try and take it further by asking leading questions, try to avoid a yes or no question. Come up with lines that work, a line of discussion that can lead to another, just ensure that he is not with his peers and you have his attention. Learn to smile too but don't be inviting. Smile demonstrates confidence, friendliness, a positive attitude, a good mood and it gives impression that you are someone who is, most likely, fun to be with. It's also very difficult to ignore. Give it shot girl! Be bold and follow your heart.

Well when I was in high school I always did well with women. The vice principal of my school even told my mom I did very well with women...I like girls a lot....thats kinda a running joke in my family.

Seriously though just make yourself open and friendly. But find reasons to be around him...when he is comfortable with you, he will ask you out.
    Last edited by dewilliams2; 17-05-10 at 11:39 AM.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Thank you all for replying! I will definitely use your advice at school tomorrow♥

Ok perhaps I am the only one who noticed this detail, but this girl is in middle school.

@pinkpokadots: What is you ultimate goal here? Everybody oogles everybody at that age. There is no need to let any feeling that you think you have be made known. Why do I say this? Because what do you do after that? You have a boyfriend? Ok, what will you be doing with a boyfriend at your age that you couldn't do with a casual acquaintance or regular friend? And none of you had better say "have sex" because that is exactly why the world is overrun with underaged mothers who give birth to children who become criminals or burdens to society because of a lack of adequate parenting. I have a younger step daughter and to think that one day she'll possibly be influneced by children like yourself who don't understand the seriousness of and maturity level needed for a true relationship disgusts me. Relationships are for people who are nearing adulthood and for adults. Period, end of sentence.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

AWESOME. I think its cool you are trying to ask for advice at such a young age and figure stuff out. I remember it was pretty scary to have feelings for girls back in middle school because there are all sorts of social pressures. But here's what I think.

If he stares at you in math class---try to sit next to him, if you can. Some teachers are not cool and have assigned seats. Pay attention to class, but also see if he is paying attention to you. CASUALLY return the stare and smile. He should smile back. Then after class, ask him if he wants to sit together at lunch that day or the next day if math is after lunch. This will get you more face time. Thats the key, slowly and as much of it as possible. Then you can talk more and it wont seem weird. School is ending, so you dont have a whole lot of time to waste. If you can get his attention now, then you can gain more time during the summer when there is no school (YAY!) to spend together and get to know each other. CONFIDENCE is KEY! If you talk to him and tell him you like him, and he says yes!!! Then you WIN!!! But if he says no, then you dont lose because you are still in the same position if you dont say anything! GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN!!!
    Same song and dance.
    "Whats the weather like kid?" --- "Its always sunny in Hell."

Third date! Can't stop fate. Its time to take this thing we got to the next level.
    Ya'know SPEND ALL OF OUR WAKING HOURS TOGETHER!!!!
    SURPRISE showed up at your job again! I was thinkin' I wanna be everything to you.

@Mr. Turtle: Thank you!! My math teacher is pretty nice, he let us pick our own seats this quarter. All of my friends sat in this one spot, and the guy and his two friends sat on the complete opposite side of the room. Then I saw him looking at me, and then he said something to his friends. Then they all got up, moved to the side we were on, and my crush sat RIGHT NEXT TO ME. omigosh I was so happy But then my stupid math teacher made him move somwhere else.

The only problem is, when I try to sit next to him, if we have free time or something, I always think I will look desperate or something because there wouldn't be any other reason to sit next to him, you know?

It's annoying, this kid that sits behind me, I've only talked to him in class, but now we hug and text and are good friends!! I just wish I could be more confident around the guy I like, cause I don't know him too well, and I"m not close enough to hang out with him at lunch or anything. So I'm a little stuck. Still. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Turtle View Post
    AWESOME. I think its cool you are trying to ask for advice at such a young age and figure stuff out. I remember it was pretty scary to have feelings for girls back in middle school because there are all sorts of social pressures. But here's what I think.

If he stares at you in math class---try to sit next to him, if you can. Some teachers are not cool and have assigned seats. Pay attention to class, but also see if he is paying attention to you. CASUALLY return the stare and smile. He should smile back. Then after class, ask him if he wants to sit together at lunch that day or the next day if math is after lunch. This will get you more face time. Thats the key, slowly and as much of it as possible. Then you can talk more and it wont seem weird. School is ending, so you dont have a whole lot of time to waste. If you can get his attention now, then you can gain more time during the summer when there is no school (YAY!) to spend together and get to know each other. CONFIDENCE is KEY! If you talk to him and tell him you like him, and he says yes!!! Then you WIN!!! But if he says no, then you dont lose because you are still in the same position if you dont say anything! GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN!!!

Wow, WTF? I suppose that next your be telling her the best ways to sneak into his house or get him into her house? Maybe after that you'll let her in on the best sexual positions and ways to administer fellatio? Relationships are for mature young adults, not middle schoolers.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Wow, WTF? I suppose that next your be telling her the best ways to sneak into his house or get him into her house? Maybe after that you'll let her in on the best sexual positions and ways to administer fellatio? Relationships are for mature young adults, not middle schoolers.
    I had summer loves when I was in junior high...I thought everybody did?...its part of growing up....it doesn't have to lead to sex.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I know right, I mean people have boyfriends in like 5th grade. And my relationship wouldn't turn serious, it would be more of a go to the movies/ hold hands/ slowdance at dances type of relationship. And it's not like people don't like eachother at my age. Or have boyfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    I had summer loves when I was in junior high...I thought everybody did?...its part of growing up....it doesn't have to lead to sex.
    I know right, I mean people have boyfriends in like 5th grade. And my relationship wouldn't turn serious, it would be more of a go to the movies/ hold hands/ slowdance at dances type of relationship. And it's not like people don't like eachother at my age. Or have boyfriends.