+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend Not Passionate Enough- Need a Male Perspective

Boyfriend Not Passionate Enough- Need a Male Perspective

Hey guys, am new here, just looking for some guys' views on this...

I've been with my BF for about 6 monthes (we're both in our early 20's). Things are great, we love each other and get on really well, etc, etc. Now, the problem is he's very closed off with his feelings. I have to drag nearly everything out of him. I said "I love you" first and he doesn't say it to me very much unless I say it first. He is really affectionate and sweet, but I just feel like he never really opens up or is vulnerable around me... well, he did tell me about the very dark past he has and a few things he said he never told anyone... but still, i can't shake the feeling he that he wont open up to me. Is this just a macho thing? Is it just how guys are?

Now, recently I did something really stupid. I let another guy kiss me ( when I was drunk, at party) for about ten seconds then basically ran away from him, upset about my boyfriend. I felt terrible and told my BF straight away... but he didn't care at all. He wasn't a bit angry, upset or sad. I would say he forgave me immediately but he wasn't even mad at me to begin with... surely there should have been some reaction if he really liked me? also, I didn't set out to do it to mke him jealous, or anything.

One other thing that irks me is he told me he was in love with / infatuated with his best friend when they were teenagers, but she didn't feel the same way. He said he would have done anything for her. He told her how he felt about her ( how I'd love for him to be that emotionally honest with me!) and she rejected him and broke his heart basically... I know it's unfair but I feel jealous. It's like he really loved her and I don't know if I even come close to how he felt about her.

any views guys?

Just that you did something stupid but if you are really sorry life goes on and if he isn't giving you what you want then you will find it somewhere else and why some guys don't get that I don't understand. past relationships are ****ed up because I do not know one person who out of guys anyeays does not think of their first love on a regular basis U dion't know why even me sometimes i dream of my first love and wake up thinking what a nightmare lol. just stay honest and everything will flow forward thats how i do and i am a guy lol

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not male, but I think you are asking too much in expecting him to verbalize his feelings to you. Many, many males just simply don't do that, and quite frankly, if they did, women probably wouldn't like them.

I think what you probably REALLY want is for him to gush about how much he loves you, how he can't live without you, blah blah blah. I think if he did this, given the fact that you recently made out with someone else, he would be making himself too vulnerable. You are a poor risk right now, what with your needing more attention than he feels comfortable giving.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by cheeze_guy View Post
    Just that you did something stupid but if you are really sorry life goes on and if he isn't giving you what you want then you will find it somewhere else and why some guys don't get that I don't understand. past relationships are ****ed up because I do not know one person who out of guys anyeays does not think of their first love on a regular basis U dion't know why even me sometimes i dream of my first love and wake up thinking what a nightmare lol. just stay honest and everything will flow forward thats how i do and i am a guy lol
    Yeah that's what I was afriad of (re: him thinking about his first love)... though he says I'm the first girl he ''really'' loved ( whatever that means).... yet he seemed to actually be able to tell this friend how he felt about her and be vulnerable
    around her, but not me. They don't seak anymore, they don't ever seem to like each other anymore.... but I don't know, it just annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I'm not male, but I think you are asking too much in expecting him to verbalize his feelings to you. Many, many males just simply don't do that, and quite frankly, if they did, women probably wouldn't like them.

I think what you probably REALLY want is for him to gush about how much he loves you, how he can't live without you, blah blah blah. I think if he did this, given the fact that you recently made out with someone else, he would be making himself too vulnerable. You are a poor risk right now, what with your needing more attention than he feels comfortable giving.
    Yeah, I'll admit that's the kinda stuff I want to hear from him. I know kissing the other guy was really bad, but I felt this way about my BF long before that happened so I don't really know how much that has to do with him not opening up, but I do see your point.

Maybe I am asking too much of him.... but my ex would always say emotional stuff like that to me and I really liked it. It just reassured me that he felt the same way s I did. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hear it 24/7 to flatter my ego, but not having to drag it out of my BF all the time would be nice

Thanks for your replies , gys. :-)

It's not a fair comparison to compare yourself to his best friend he has known his whole life and you that he has been dating for six months. However, he is going to have to open up at some point if you want this to move forward. If you are looking for more and aren't getting the results you need, you are probably going to have to keep looking. Or you can settle with what you have now and work with what you got.

You already have been in a compromising situation and you have failed. What's to say it wouldn't happen again? You feel more guilty of looking like a bad girlfriend then actually caring to hurt his feelings, wouldn't you say? Just some things to think about.

If you want to go out and have fun, do so. You can't have both fun and something serious to come home to.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacattack1 View Post
    It's not a fair comparison to compare yourself to his best friend he has known his whole life and you that he has been dating for six months. However, he is going to have to open up at some point if you want this to move forward. If you are looking for more and aren't getting the results you need, you are probably going to have to keep looking. Or you can settle with what you have now and work with what you got.
    Yeah, maybe i am asking too much or being immature about the whole thing. Should I just stop attempting to get him to express himself? I guess that's just the way he is and I can't change him. I do know I'm being unfair by bringing up his friend ( I don't know if he has known her his whole life, but cetainly a few years.) It's not that I'm jealous of him loving her exactly ( he has had other girlfriends, and yet these don't bother me at all). It's just the fact he was able to open up to her, completely unprovoked by her, with the risk of rejection and all, and yet he can't be open with me... maybe I should give it time.

Thanks for your perspective.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Have you considered the possibility that perhaps he just doesn't feel the same sort of connection to you that he does other people?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that perhaps he just doesn't feel the same sort of connection to you that he does other people?
    Do you mean he doesn't feel the same way about me as he did about his friend? It does seem like he loved her more... though he says he feels like he really loved me, and it was more infatuation with her... something doesn't add up between
    what he's saying and he actions though.

Or did you mean something different? :-)

Oh, and just another little anecdote to illustrate my point one time me and BF were cuddling after having sex, we were just talking about different things ( and we could talk for hours about anything, that's the funny thing about all this ) and I half- jokingly said to him "So, what are you feeling right now?" He kinda laughed and said he didn't like talking about "girly" stuff. i laughed and said "having feelings isn't girly" and he just said " i don't have feelings, well, not many. I just have enough time in my day for work, seeing my friends and maybe some sports, i dont have time for feelings!" I kinda laughed it off, but thought it was a bit strange since he clearly does have feelings for me, and other people , and he especially had feelings for his friend at one point!

I don't know. I won't be trying to get him to express himself like that anymore. Just wondering what you guys think. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Notoi1989 View Post
    One other thing that irks me is he told me he was in love with / infatuated with his best friend when they were teenagers, but she didn't feel the same way. He said he would have done anything for her. He told her how he felt about her ( how I'd love for him to be that emotionally honest with me!) and she rejected him and broke his heart basically... I know it's unfair but I feel jealous. It's like he really loved her and I don't know if I even come close to how he felt about her.
    This is probably why he isn't very open with his feelings. The first female that he really had feeling for shut him down when he opened up to her. Some people take rejection a lot harder than others, moreso when it happens the first time they really open up to someone. I can see why you'd feel jealous, but that was then. If he were really expressive with someone NOW and still not opening up to you that would be a problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Some guys are raised to believe that showing emotions is a weak or feminine quality. I know, it's ridiculous, but they grow up to be stoic and out-of-touch with their feelings. When the self-control cracks and the feelings emerge, it can be scary.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

^^^ So true, so true. You always have something insightful to say. Fortunately I never let myself be squeezed into that mould because I saw long ago that it is counterproductive in a relationship.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

I think this sentence above sums it all up: If you want to go out and have fun, do so. You can't have both fun and something serious to come home to. You have no say in his friendships or his feelings. By making that mistake you forfeit all rights. Its a wonder he still speaks to you at all.

It either seems he's not really that into you or he's like me and isnt an emotional person. my gf asks me allthe time how im feeling about her and i just make stuff up to satisfy her ego cos most of the time im not feeling anything (actually most of the time ive got like a tune going on in my head or wondering what im gona have for dinner), so dont sweat the guy or pressure him into it. if you want a more emotionally sensitive person then give him more time or leave him and go be with someone else.

i do find the cheating thing wierd though, if my girlfriend did that i'd get rid of her faster that a speeding bullet...maybe he's not that into you and he's got someone else? although dont accuse him of that unless you have clear evidence!

I think guys tend to have difficulty expressing feelings, to a girl they really aren't into.
    Kinda puts them in an awkward spot and they don't know what to say/how to react.

I'm sure there will be men out there who would have no trouble at all, saying I love you to the woman in their lives and if they genuinely loved her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast