+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [News] Obama tells military: prepare for North Korea aggression

[News] Obama tells military: prepare for North Korea aggression

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama has directed the U.S. military to coordinate with South Korea to "ensure readiness" and deter future aggression from North Korea, the White House said on Monday.

Politics | South Korea | North Korea | Barack Obama

The United States gave strong backing to plans by South Korean President Lee Myung-bak to punish North Korea for sinking one of its naval ships, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said in a statement.

The White House urged North Korea to apologize and change its behavior, he said.

"We endorse President Lee's demand that North Korea immediately apologize and punish those responsible for the attack, and, most importantly, stop its belligerent and threatening behavior," Gibbs said.

"U.S. support for South Korea's defense is unequivocal, and the president has directed his military commanders to coordinate closely with their Republic of Korea counterparts to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression," he said.

Obama and Lee have agreed to meet at the G20 summit in Canada next month, he said.

Late last week, a team of international investigators accused North Korea of torpedoing the Cheonan corvette in March, killing 46 sailors in one of the deadliest clashes between the two since the 1950-53 Korean War.

Lee said on Monday South Korea would bring the issue before the U.N., whose past sanctions have damaged the already ruined North Korean economy.

The United States still has about 28,000 troops in South Korea to provide military support.

The two Koreas, still technically at war, have more than 1 million troops near their border.

"We will build on an already strong foundation of excellent cooperation between our militaries and explore further enhancements to our joint posture on the Peninsula as part of our ongoing dialogue," Gibbs said.

Gibbs said the United States supported Lee's plans to bring the issue to the United Nations Security Council and would work with allies to "reduce the threat that North Korea poses to regional stability."

Obama had also directed U.S. agencies to evaluate existing policies toward North Korea.

"This review is aimed at ensuring that we have adequate measures in place and to identify areas where adjustments would be appropriate," he said.

(Editing by Doina Chiacu)
    [url=http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64N0ZT20100524?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a49:g43:r1:c 0.266398:b34299944:z0]Obama tells military: prepare for North Korea aggression | Reuters[/url]
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, this is a real problem. Its also dropping asian stocks, and the euro dropped this am. Just what we need (again).

I read as well that technically the war between the South and the North had never stopped, they're still at war with each other, they're just not fighting "at the moment".
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They have been sinking each others boats the last few weeks. The Korean military has been purchasing quantities of surveillance equipment. Things are escalating.

The reason the South Koreans and Americans with their other allies did not win during the Korean War in the 50s was that the Chinese intervened on the side of the North Koreans side since they were communist. Really this was the first armed conflict over political ideals and between communism and capitalism.

I wonder how China would respond today. I am not all that familiar with the current political atmosphere of that region. I do know the Chinese government has developed the economy over the past decade and made several reforms to ensure their economy would grow and there would be prosperity to stem the fear of rebellion among the people and a collapse of their government for financial reasons...they learned the lesson from the Soviet Union.

So now with such financial and excluding certain groups a civil stability would they risk it to once again defend North Korea?

Is there anybody who knows more about this area from a political standpoint?

Truly though America does not have the manpower to throw at a third theater right now. I realize the draw down in Iraq has begun but we are still technically there while increasing our presence in Afghanistan. Many of the men and women have already done several tours of duty. The failures of Rome, Napoleon, and Hitler was that they stretched their military to thin....of course Rome had many other problems which we also share today.

I'm sort of rambling now...I'm a little drunk...I apologize for that.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    China and the US have been having an unsubtle "my dick is bigger" contest for a while now. It just hasn't been getting a ton of press. Chinese officials disliked US providing missiles to Taiwan. For them to make an overt statement at all = pissed. Do any of you remember them shooting down their own satellite a couple years back? Something is stirring in N.Korea and its likely a testing of the global waters, in more ways than one. US isn't the only nation to support S. Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    China and the US have been having an unsubtle "my dick is bigger" contest for a while now. It just hasn't been getting a ton of press. Chinese officials disliked US providing missiles to Taiwan. For them to make an overt statement at all = pissed. Do any of you remember them shooting down their own satellite a couple years back? Something is stirring in N.Korea and its likely a testing of the global waters, in more ways than one. US isn't the only nation to support S. Korea.
    Yea I knew about the pissing contest...and I knew there were other allies to support S. Korea...but I was just curious if the Chinese would go as far as open war with America and its other allies to support North Korea? We could be talking about WWIII.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    I was just curious if the Chinese would go as far as open war with America and its other allies to support North Korea? We could be talking about WWIII.
    You, and a lot of others are more than curious about this answer. Like I said, its a problem. Western diplomacy and asian aren't always compatible.

Well that would suck some fat dick...I don't want to be drafted...I'm far to pretty for war...I'm a lover not a fighter. I'd hope if they did that they would still give me that offer of being a lieutenant they offered me out of high school....at least I would be an officer and get officers pay...plus I'm far to intelligent to be just a grunt.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not discussing politics with someone who is drunk. Plus its way past your bedtime and getting to mine. Be kind to yourself DW these next few days. Don't let the bitch wear you down. Sleep deprived + hungover + bitchy ex will tax any sane man. Good luck.

nevermind...I forgot I didnt' post...it didn't disappear.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hillary has gone to S. Korea to spank them.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Hillary has gone to S. Korea to spank them.
    I'd let her spank me....just to say it happened.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Kim Jong Il is an outstanding troll
    He's a nutcase. I wouldn't want to be one of his COs trying to sink ships and smuggle my family south at the same time.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    I'd let her spank me....just to say it happened.
    She looks like shit these days, poor woman. That job is large enough for 10 ppl. Think she wanted it, or did Obama put her there as a career-stopper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast