+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Post Knee Surgery

Post Knee Surgery

So, my boyfriend had knee surgery about 2 months before I met him last year. He was walking just fine and attending physical therapy sessions when we began to see each other. He had a lateral release done after having dislocated his knee during football. He eventually began missing physical therapy out of laziness, which I know was a very counterproductive thing for him to do. However, I am not his mother, and he chose this path.

Just this past weekend he passed the Police Academy's Physical Abilities Test by running their course in under 3:30, and he's been participating in regular softball games and practices. His knee has pretty swollen and sore since Sunday/Monday.

Have you guys had any experience with this type of rehabilitation? He's planning on entering the Academy as soon as he gets the go-ahead, and is beginning to work out more regularly in anticipation. But I know he's concerned about his knee.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Helpful exercises and whatnot? I've told him he should utilize his parents' pool. It'll give him the work out he needs without the jarring impact of running. His parents also have an exercise bike he could use. Any other ideas?

Swimming and cycling were what I had to offer, and he's already going to do that. Lazy dude should go back to PT as well.
    Spammer Spanker

Yeah, he should. Part of the problem was the fact that he would schedule morning PT sessions when he knew he wouldn't be able to get up in time. Even though the clinic is literally around the corner from his house. Saaaad. He's gonna do what he's gonna do, of course. And I'm not gonna sit there and cross my arms and say "I told you so." But I do want to see him succeed. He's been very goal oriented and hard working since he got back from Mexico, and I want to help him stay on that positive path. I know most of it is on him though.

I firmly believe that if you really want something, you'll do what it takes.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    damnit, just wrote a long reply and lost it!

Basically I have had one knee basically reconstructed and the other dislocated. It took alot of hard work for me to get to the satge where i can just about run a marathon on them, warming up and down gently has been the key for me, and lots of swimming and rowing has helped. I always swim before i do a long run and that way im not in too much pain afterwards!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I keep telling him about the swimming and how much it will help. I don't think he believes me though. Not sure why. Maybe I need to start leaving literature lying around his room or something, haha. If I had a pool to use whenever I wanted, you best believe I'd be living in it. Especially with San Diego summers.

I know swimming is one of the best things for him and his knee right know. He wants to start running, but his knee is not ready for that stress. It probably would be if he'd have kept up with PT. I know his mom has been harping on this stuff since last year, so I'm not going to chastise him about it. Not sure how else I'm able to help though.

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    I keep telling him about the swimming and how much it will help. I don't think he believes me though. Not sure why. Maybe I need to start leaving literature lying around his room or something, haha. If I had a pool to use whenever I wanted, you best believe I'd be living in it. Especially with San Diego summers.

I know swimming is one of the best things for him and his knee right know. He wants to start running, but his knee is not ready for that stress. It probably would be if he'd have kept up with PT. I know his mom has been harping on this stuff since last year, so I'm not going to chastise him about it. Not sure how else I'm able to help though.
    I tore my knee up in football and track to. I played in college for a year so I had access to some good doctors and physical therapists. The thing they figured out that worked best for me was running in the shallow end of the pool. I would even hold weights to make me heavier and the great thing is that the water makes your muscles work but not your joints really. So it really builds the muscle back up around the knee. Also they had me do a lot of stretching and had me do a couple yoga poses although I forget what they were called and I didn't really like them. But the guys that told me that get paid big money to do it and it worked. So you might pass that on to your bf.

Just tell him if he uses the weights don't go in to deep and don't tie them or strap them to himself...just hold them.....medicine ball over the head works great to and really works the abs....just stick to the shallow end.

But truly there will always be some pain/soreness/stiffness after a lot of physical impact on it. They can do amazing things but its never quite like brand new again.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

That sounds really awesome.

However, I'm not sure of how to bring it up so he takes me seriously. He wants his knee to get better, but I have a feeling he's not interested in help. And yet I don't see him making the effort to get his knee back on track. I think he's worried about overexerting it some more. He doesn't readily admit to worrying over anything, so his saying he's concerned means it really bothers him.

Of course, it would be more productive of him to start taking care of business sooner. I really do want to help. I'll even jump in the pool with him. Or stand around the pool in a bikini with a drink in my hand if that's all he wants. Haha. Whatever helps him.
    Last edited by lahnnabell; 29-05-10 at 01:09 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The problem isn't his knee, its his motivation. And you can't give him that.

You can try to reward him when he does do something positive for himself. Like training a pigeon. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    That sounds really awesome.

However, I'm not sure of how to bring it up so he takes me seriously. He wants his knee to get better, but I have a feeling he's not interested in help. And yet I don't see him making the effort to get his knee back on track. I think he's worried about overexerting it some more. He doesn't readily admit to worrying over anything, so his saying he's concerned means it really bothers him.

Of course, it would be more productive of him to start taking care of business sooner. I really do want to help. I'll even jump in the pool with him. Or stand around the pool in a bikini with a drink in my hand if that's all he wants. Haha. Whatever helps him.
    Well I was hoping I could play again but after running track in high school and then football plus a 300 lb man rolling up the back of my knee...it just didn't happen. So I did have a lot of motivation to get back in shape but my knee had just been to far destroyed for me to come back.

Even though I have had my knee put back together and had it cleaned out again 2 years ago its still sore after I do a lot of physical activity on it. He is going to have to workout and build it up and get it as good as it will be...and then just man up with the pain....its gonna be there.

When the pain comes back...ibuprofen and ice....get the swelling down is about all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    The problem isn't his knee, its his motivation. And you can't give him that.

You can try to reward him when he does do something positive for himself. Like training a pigeon. Good luck.
    I can think of some things that motivate a guy...I'm sure you can to.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    They can do amazing things but its never quite like brand new again.
    This has been my experience, too, both personal and professional. This is why I cringe at runners.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?