+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Advice to an 18-year-old

Advice to an 18-year-old

What advice can you give to an 18-year-old girl?
    Advice about Life and Love in general.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The advice I would give myself if I could timewarp back and talk to my 18-yr old self:

* You can date, but don't take relationships too seriously. The first time you fall in love won't be your last, guaranteed
    * Travel
    * Ditch friends that don't make you happy, but work on your meaningful friendships. Life is hard without real friends.
    * Never ditch your friends for a man.
    * Get an education in something.
    * Learn to put some of your money away when you start working. Just a little. And don't spend it.
    * Respect your parents even when they seem overbearing or their rules seem 'stupid'. You'll realize later they did what they did because they care, and you'll be grateful.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Always listen to your mum. She is and always will continue to be, your 'best friend'. You can always rely on her, she has and will continue to have your best interests at heart..... and she's 'always' right.

That is one thing I discovered anyway.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 06-06-10 at 11:15 PM.

wow. those are good ones. thanks!

I don't have a mom, unfortunately...

I was just in your shoes a couple of years ago and I can tell you the next couple of years will be full of growth and discovery. But so far I've learned

1) Appreciate and respect your parents. I used really dislike my parents when I was younger, but as I grew older I started to understand the sacrifices they made for me. At the end of the day, parents are just trying to do the best for their kids. They'll make mistakes and make decisions that you won't like, but as you get older you'll understand that they had the best of intentions (most parents at least)
    2) Have confidence in yourself and have faith that there can always be a better tomorrow. I've found that whether it's girls, school, career, etc, there'll always be tough times. That's just part of life. But if you keep your head up and have faith that you're a strong enough person to weather through the storm, it can only get better.
    3) Choose life whenever you can. It's easy to get caught up in grades, looking for jobs, making money, etc. But the truth is, it's the little things in that life that will keep you going during tough times. The most memorable times in my life never had to do with my grades, my accomplishments, getting a job, making money, etc. It's those times you share with friends/family/SO that stays with you.
    4) Be empathetic and realize everyone is going through their own battles.

be careful with all guys .....................
    they only want sex

Respect yourself and others will too.
    Spammer Spanker

You know everything and others should be made aware of this.

My advice to you:

Get along with a man who's really interested in you, but not too hurry to get married until he is approved by your parents.
    Go to study more, especially in a university, the more you know, the better people you will meet.
    Try to keep contact with your girl friends who will help you by their experience.

I will be giving advice to my step daughter one day, so I suppose I can comment here. My advice is:

1. Always respect yourself. If you don't respect your mind and body don't expect anyone else to do so.
    2. Only associate with friends who respect your views and stances (especially moral ones) even if they don't necessarily agree with them.
    3. If a man isn't EXACTLY what you want (in the personality department), don't settle for him. You want a man who will treat you right.
    4. If you start to get serious with a man the best way to see how he will eventually treat you is to observe his interactions with his mother.
    5. Money shouldn't be the most important factor in choosing a man. I personally know women who married men based on looks and money. Now they are miserable because their husbands are bastards (rich, but still bastards).
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

This is good advice