+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A little gift problem

A little gift problem

Ok. Here's the deal.
    I'm a 17 year old girl and I am in love with a guy in my class.
    We are friends. Not very close friends, but I get invited to parties, barbeques and
    movie nights with his friends and him self sometimes. And we talk sometimes at school
    and yeah.. We're friends. And his birthday is coming up soon and I'm invited and I want to give him something nice.
    And I was thinking about getting him an engraved silver guitar pick with his name, since he plays the guitar and he is very(!) interested in music. But I'm afraid it'slike..too much. I've heard of people getting engraved silver picks for their boyfriends, and he is not my boyfriend, even though I wish he was..
    I know that he will we love it, but I don't want him to see right through me..
    And I know I'll get invited to his best friends birthdays too, but won't they start to wonder
    a bit when I'm giving HIM an engraved silver pick and the other guys a film or something random?
    I'm of course very focused on this guy I'm in love with, and I know exactly his style.
    I know what kind of brands he likes on his clothes, I know what perfume he likes,
    I know what kind of movies and tv-series he likes.. It's like I'm having trouble to
    decide what I should give him, and I'm not into his friends the same
    way. I don't know that sort of things about his friends, and I would never buy them a personalized
    gift. That's like..too much.
    So should I give him a guitar pick or just buy him something random like a couple of
    films, so they won't see through me?

Well, why don't you want him to know you like him? The personalized gift is a less confrontational way of telling him.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Could be too much. Instead give him JUST the pick, unengraved and to make it extra nice give it to him before his party or after just not during.

I think you should combine both of their ideas, girl68 and lastwish. Get him a pick, engraved or unengraved, and do any time other than the actual party. He'll most likely be flattered, and you can find out whether or not its worth pursuing him. See if he even remotely likes you back.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Giving him any gift will say you like him, so keep it simple.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I say the engraved guitar pick but out of view of everyone else, it should be a private/personal thing. Who cares if he knows you like him? It might be wonderful or it might be sad but you'll never know unless you do it. The "what if's" are harder to deal with over the "my bads"
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Thanks for the answers, it's really helpful but I don't really get why I should give him the gift without letting the other people see it? I'm thinking about maybe giving him the engraved pick for christmas instead..but then I won't be able to see his reaction. hm..

It not so much letting other people see it as it is sharing a nice, personal moment with him. Assuming he likes music as much as he does, other people will see it. This way however, you have the opportunity to talk -the cornerstone of any relationship/friendship or more- and get closer. As far as waiting until Christmas, I say what's the wait! There's no time like the present.

Good Luck,

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're acting like a little girl which you are. Stand up with some conviction. Pull him aside and say I got a little something for you. Smile, hand it over. Would you like to do this with 50 poeople watching? If you're too shy to even see his reaction you're WAY to shy to do it in front of people.

I'm not shy to see his reaction at all. I want to see his reaction..And I don't care if a thousand people saw me giving it to him...
    It's just that I can't tell him I like him until I'm sure that he has feelings for me. I couldn't handle being rejected. And I'm not saying that I would give up if he rejected me, but it would make things a lot more harder, and it would be pretty awkward between us.. I know that it is possible to make him grow feelings for me, because we have a great chemistry and it's not like we've never flirted, cuz we have.. It's just so under the surface.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I'm not shy to see his reaction at all. I want to see his reaction..And I don't care if a thousand people saw me giving it to him...
    It's just that I can't tell him I like him until I'm sure that he has feelings for me. I couldn't handle being rejected. And I'm not saying that I would give up if he rejected me, but it would make things a lot more harder, and it would be pretty awkward between us.. I know that it is possible to make him grow feelings for me, because we have a great chemistry and it's not like we've never flirted, cuz we have.. It's just so under the surface.
    You'd better start growing up. You WILL get rejected, it hurts, it always hurts but start being realistic with life there WILL be times (maybe not this guy) but there WILL no doubt be times when you will get rejected by a boy. That said- If you can't tell him you like him, don't give him any gift at all- especially not something personal like an engraved pick.

The REASON to give it in private is to let him know that it's something more than just a random "here's a beer for your bday gift" kind of crap which was the direction you were going in the first place. If you give him a personalized specail thoughful gift like a pick and everyone see this EVERYONE now knows you like him. And what if he rejects you? You think it's going to be all cool on the fly when that many people witness his "err, thanks" reaction? Probably not.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That might have been harsh...

Anyways I think you should give it to him as a few have mentioned it SHOULD be in private you will be able to see and react to his reaction in private and it will likely be a more truthful response if he is in private.

You already know he flirts with you- that's a START. So you can let him know you might sorta kinda like him. It's not like you're sky writing I love you! Be mine! in the sky... it's just a gift if he doesn't reciprocate just let it be JUST a gift and move on. It's not a big deal- there will be other boys...