+ Follow This Topic

Thread: So... I finally cut her off.

So... I finally cut her off.

Some more (long) rambling from me after a long time gone from LF. Remember the infamous "non-girl" I used to tell you about? Well it's over, since 4 weeks ago.

I'll shorten the long story about how, since July 2009, we've had a two-faced, mostly online, "non-relationship" where she'd go from lovey-dovey to scaringly clingy, from pushing my emotional boundaries to seemingly disinterested, and after that one date we had in July, making all sorts of excuses to get out of the dates I proposed to her... in all of which I believed. We also confided a lot to each other, and because of some of the things she told me I believed in everything she said... I really fell in love with her. A strong person that had to go through a lot in life, from an abandoning father to an uncaring mother and an abusive ex-bf... and yet she hid her weaknesses from everyone but me.

Anyway... over the months it started falling apart. A few arguments, my growing frustration and her two-faced attitude... by early 2010 we barely talked at all (like once a week), although everything seemed ok when we did. (later she told me she had a brief spell with another guy over Jan, or maybe Feb... epic facepalm, no?)

Fast-forward to March. I found out that I was accepted in a high-quality MSc in theoretical physics in Canada. I was very excited and I told everyone... including her. But this must have triggered something on her - she seemed completely heartbroken that I was going away, and in the middle of her speech she asks me to go on a weekend with her, in a place pretty far from where we live. I said no. It didn't make sense to start it all over again when I was leaving in August. She was going to take the hint and take off, I think, but... I was weak. I thought it was real once again. So a few days later I just went to her town wait for her to leave school. We spent the afternoon together. Just talking, nothing else.

But after that things were different. We met a few more times, and we started texting a lot. Every morning I woke up to a text from her. *sigh* I really thought that first kiss was going to happen... (my first kiss...) that I would finally be with her as a real couple, you know? But no. Together with all this I started getting a lot of red flags. She didn't accept well my going to Canada, she accused me of not putting enough effort in it ('it' not being a relationship, mind you! And also note that I was the one that had to go the distance to meet her, she never deviated one inch from her life to come to me...), she had no words of sympathy for my ongoing depression, and I tried my best but none of my words had any effect on her... I told her that I loved her, (wasn't the first time. but it was the most meaningful one because it was the time when I actually expected a reaction), but to no avail. She didn't even comment it.

And then, the final drop. She invited me to this play with some other people, and everything seems well planned but first she tells me that she will have to contact a guy (which happens to be the guy she "was with" in Jan) to get an extra ticket for me. 2 days before the play she texts me saying that she couldn't get the ticket and the show was sold out, but I could go have dinner with her beforehand. Yeah right, 1 hour trip, 1 hour with her, and then having to go back while she goes to the play with her friends and that guy? Ludicrous. So I said that didn't make sense. "oh ok then, *guy* will come with me". How nice.

And the nicest of all was when I called the box office and they said they had plenty of tickets for the play. A play selling out in Portugal? Unthinkable.

So I gave up. Finally understanding it wasn't worth it, I left her a message wishing her well but asking her not to contact again. Soon after I deleted her from facebook and msn. She was completely enraged, called me all names, said she was right after all and I never had loved her, (when it was the other way round), but after two days her last email came in. Contact is all off now.

I'm heartbroken, but also feeling very stupid.. all this time wasted for nothing, feeding a fantasy, dreaming of someone that just pretended to care to get a massive ego boost from me... and August is coming, and I feel very lonely. I need someone else, but I can't get into anything so close to my departure... my health (Crohn's disease) is a bit deteriorated, my once excellent grades now are just "good", and I feel so.. stuck. Stuck to a life that I don't really want, and that won't change until I leave.

Canada can't come soon enough.
    Time to stop complaining when there is no reason to. Life's good, man.

You made the right decision. It's like quitting smoking. You KNOW it's the right thing to do, but it's damned hard.

You'll make it. She's just a stinky old pack of cigarettes.
    Spammer Spanker

Giga has tough love.

I agree. She's no good. I would feel the same way too. Just give it time and do the things you enjoy like sports or something. So long as you think about it, you are living in the past. I read a quote that reads, :...the past never comes back but the future can bring back the things you lost."

You have the future.
    We learn about ourselves in relationship with others.

Apart from the loneliness I'm dealing pretty well with it - it's good to be free!
    Now, if you could see if you wanna talk me into our out of this:

I'm thinking of asking a girl out. She's in my phys course 2 years behind (19 y-o, I'm nearing 21). I haven't talked much to her so far, but the times I did she seemed pretty nice and funny, she's been single for all her life just like me, and she's definitely "in my league".

The catch:

1. I'm not really head over heels over her. I might not have thought about it if it wasn't so lonely out here, but in the past few days I've started wondering.

2. In about a month she's going back home 150 km from me, and in 2 months I'm going to Canada, of course.

If I were to do this, it's just a few dates to take the edge off and feel less alone (I wouldn't even try to go physical)... but it's kind of a d*ck move, no? Or would it be good for me in this phase?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :]

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevant_89 View Post
    Apart from the loneliness I'm dealing pretty well with it - it's good to be free!
    Now, if you could see if you wanna talk me into our out of this:

I'm thinking of asking a girl out. She's in my phys course 2 years behind (19 y-o, I'm nearing 21). I haven't talked much to her so far, but the times I did she seemed pretty nice and funny, she's been single for all her life just like me, and she's definitely "in my league".

The catch:

1. I'm not really head over heels over her. I might not have thought about it if it wasn't so lonely out here, but in the past few days I've started wondering.

2. In about a month she's going back home 150 km from me, and in 2 months I'm going to Canada, of course.

If I were to do this, it's just a few dates to take the edge off and feel less alone (I wouldn't even try to go physical)... but it's kind of a d*ck move, no? Or would it be good for me in this phase?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :]
    Glad to see you are moving forward. The next girl might not be "the one" and she doesn't have to be, but if you enjoy yourself with her and establish some kind of relationship, who knows where that could lead in the future. Most people don't start head over heels with a new partner anyway. It takes time to grow.

Go into this not NEEDING somebody to be there, but go into this looking for spending time with something fun. You put too much pressure on yourself to get something out of this, you could end up pushing her or anybody else away.

Life's too short though, just do something about it.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Well, the one opinion I got outside LF is "go for it" too, so I guess I'll just... go for it

Of course I'm putting zero pressure on this. I just feel I need something easy and casual. It was always so stressful and dysfunctional with non-girl... I just hope to have some fun (NOT sex fun! just... hanging out) before I leave the country.

tam is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    The girl I have a crush on (is also a good friend of mine) is playing two-faced nowadays and getting on my nerves. We are hardly talking. I'm dealing with loneliness too. You've made the right decision; time to move on!

I'm pleased you managed to remove yourself from the situation with the 'drama queen'. I was in something similar....non stop ldr drama for 2 years and I ended it too, never looked back and it would be a cold day in hell before I do. I must've been a right f**king fool.

But good luck with the new girl anyway and like cma says, just have fun ya know

Ooops! My plan was foiled. I found out she's already far away from me, just going to college for the exams.

Square 1 again, it seems. *shrug*