+ Follow This Topic

Thread: question for people livin in the uk;

question for people livin in the uk;

i have depression. Ive been told by my doctor to go on the sick through the jobcentre... im currently unemployed. i was against it at first because i dont like taking money which isnt mine, but i had an interview today and broke down half way through.

Does anyone have any information on the sick? how much it is?
    or whats your opinions on people claiming it?

Why didn't you pick up a leaflet while you were there? That would have given you all the info you required.

All I know of sickness benefits via the Budget on Tuesday, there are going to be many cuts. These types of benefit are going to be heavily clamped down on and because too many people are fraudently claiming it. Shortly and people who claim it, will have a thorough examination and that proves they are genuinely sick and unable to work.

If people are genuinely unwell and unable to work, then they have nothing to fear. Those who are ripping the piss out of the system, do have to fear.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 24-06-10 at 06:38 AM.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not being funny, but going on the sick will not do you any favours, are you getting help for your depression? I find too many people just go 'on the sick' because they can, what exactly is it that makes you think you cant work? Part of breaking the cycle of depression is facing the things that seem hardest, ive had a pretty shit 18 months and I only missed a month of work, some days i didnt think i could cope or even get out of bed, but my job gave me reason to, it gave me motivation because at the end of the day I had to feed my family and pay my bills.
    If i had just been on benefits for one, i wouldnt have the quality of life i do now and 2. i wouldnt have had much motivation and dont think i would be where i am now.

With regards to the actual benefits if you did choose to go down that road, I think you would fall under income support/incapacity benefit which is around £60-£80 a week, depending upon circumstances, there is Disability living allowance, which is not means tested, but I dont think you would qualify as depression is not a disability.
    You would also qualify for help with housing benefit and council tax benefit, though unlikely to be the full amount.
    If you chose to get job seekers allowance, i believe it is around £40 per week, but you have to be actively seeking work to recieve this.

The emergency budget that came out on tuesday does not really affect the benefits for those on low incomes, the main change to the benefits system are that those applying for income support/incapacity benefit will have to undergo a medical assessment.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head, I used to work for the DWP , but have not done so for a while so things may have changed since.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

You got that spot on - they go on it and because they can - but that is about to change. Only those with 'genuine' sickness and disabilities will be able to claim. If you have a bad back, then it has to be proven medically, that you do and not just on the say so of a doctor, who can tend to hand out sick notes freely and merely because a patient will complain of a bad back.

I know one woman, my sisters bf's mum, who claims she has a bad back and gets disability. It's odd however and considering she has a bad back, that she has no problems walking here, there and everywhere pushing a twin buggy and that she can run around after her grandkids all day?? Someone with a genuine bad back can't frigging walk!!! And I know and because I suffered with back pain for a while after having my daughter and I couldn't move. But it was temporary and I didn't claim any extra benefits because it wasn't a permanent disability.

There are things you can take for depression. Extra money will not cure depression! There are times in my life when I've been totally and utterly pissed off and down and for long periods of time...the last thing I'd thought about was claiming more money.