+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Spending time with boyfriends family/friends

Spending time with boyfriends family/friends

My boyfriend wants me to get to know his family and friends better and spend time with them. I have met and spoke briefly to his parents, brother and best friend however its never been lengthly amounts of time. I am a bit nervous that i won't know what to say or that they won't like me. Can anyone in this situation or has been give any advice please .
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

Ask your man what their interests are. Talk about that, ask them questions about it, talk about your own experiences with it...or ask them what foods they like and "happen" to be sure to have it around when they come visit.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Pick one and make an ally out of them. Having to face the entire pack all at once would be a little scary. Maybe you could just have his brother over for lunch or something and spend some time, just the three of you. Try to make a good impression. Then the brother will go back and say nice things about you.
    Spammer Spanker

Start with mom. She's the one who raised your boy as soon as he left her womb. I found that my best relationships were the ones where I had a close bond with the mom. When I first met my boyfriend's mother last year, I made sure to show her the utmost respect. She ran the home, and it was a privilege to be welcomed into it. Any time I came over to spend time with him, I made sure to seek out his mom and make my presence known. She appreciated this very much. Eventually it blossomed into a very strong friendship. She and I go out to lunch together, and we can sit and talk for hours. She values my opinion and how well I treat her son. I spent some of their Jewish holidays with them (even though they don't practice very strictly) and spent Christmas with them. I pay attention to what she says, remembering that there was a certain movie she wanted to own. I bought it for her for Christmas, and she didn't even open it until I had time to sit and watch it with her.

My boyfriend still is dumbfounded as to how I won his mother over so easily. Even his last serious girlfriend didn't win her over for a full year. Took me a couple of months.

Thank you all
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe