This is just a question I've always thought about and know there really isn't a right or wrong answer. So, I'm hoping that you wise folks out there who have been in long-term, healthy relationships can give us some good thoughts on this.

I've always heard that maintaining a "healthy distance" between two people in a relationship is important in a well-balanced relationship. Simply put, everyone needs their own space before they can share it with their significant other, right?

Yet, sometimes I feel that it is extremely hard to maintain that distance, no matter how independent you are. Don't we all want to get closer to that person, know everything about him/her, be the most important part of his/her life, share all secrets, etc.? But, sometimes, I feel that once you start sharing all the mundane things in life with the other person, you start losing a part of yourself for the relationship. Then comes resentment, and a list of other things that ruin the fun and excitement in a relationship.

So, I'm curious to hear those who have been in a healthy relationship.... how do you balance and/or compromise between your independence and your relationship? How close is too close ? Concomitantly, how much independence is too much independence?

Any good examples of well-balanced relationships ....and any good words of wisdom?