+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My LT girlfriend wants to travel for 6 month..

My LT girlfriend wants to travel for 6 month..

Hey, we are in a very close relationship and have been together for two years.
    Shes been talking about going away ever since we met. I was just told by her that she wants to go abroad to get some experience for her career. Fair enough, im happy that she wants to get somewhere in her life. I'm just so shocked that she wants it to be 6 months. We spend most of our free time with each other and i miss her a lot when we dont see each other for even a day or two.
    How am i going to cope with 6 months of not being able to see her? Im scared that when shes back, she will be a different person, and we will have changed so much that there wont be anything there anymore.

I guess im just looking for some advice on how to handle the situation. I wish it didn't have to happen, or that it was only for 2 to 3 months.

Please share your stories if a similar thing has come about in your relationship. Thanks a lot.

You need to find more things to do. The need to see each other so much very quickly develops into a co-dependent relationship. You were a functional human being before she came into your life? Right? So, there really is nothing that should stop you from continuing to be that same person. Yes, you will miss her and 6 months is a good chunk of time. But if you guys are prepared to work through it together, then there is no sense worrying yourself silly.

I think that you guys should sit down and figure out how you will be coping with the distance and the time difference. Set Skype or chat times (certainly not every day). You guys have to start giving each other room to breathe, and that is exactly what part of this trip of hers is for. The more you try to hold her down, the more she'll want to run away. You can even set up a good time to visit her. Save your money and plan it out.

If she's as serious about your relationship as you are, she'll compromise with you on this. If not, then I'd begin questioning her desire to stay committed.

Its not that terrible. Lahnabell has a good point, find something to occupy yourself with. Find a new hobby, find a common interest group, but do SOMETHING.

My last relationship was long distance, and minus the girl itself, the relationship was pretty much intact. We would call eachother every once in a while (I got tired of having to call every day...), we would see eachother on skype, and even send emails to eachother. Why it ended, had nothing to do with us being long distance on and off.... but more of she was a crazy bitch.

My current relationship, things are a little shaky, I miss my girlfriend a lot, but I know that I will get to see her in2 days, so I am not too bothered any more. I was stressed out before about the lack of contact... but all I did was just find more stuff to do. For me personally... I work a LOT more, go for a jog, started exercising (work is stopping me from committing fully to this :p), and catch up on movies that I have been meaning to see for a while

Direct your stress into something positive!

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    look at it this way. STOP THINKING OF YOURSELF and let her pursue her career a little. i'm sure that she won't cheat on you, and if you missing her is the biggest part of holding her back, then please refer to my capital letters again.

raveroby
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    please refer to my capital letters again.
    *looks at users name*

"I"

I get it! battlingpig, what Illusion is telling you is to refer to yourself! You are ALL that matters! Go stop your girlifriend! Be a man, do the right thing!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    umm.... no. try again buddy.

think back to when your gf wanted to go away for college, but you were too busy crying your eyes out because you thought the only way to save your relationship was if she would stay with you in whatever state you're in. horse shit is what i have to say to that, i always want my other to pursue their dreams first. if it's their dream to stay with me, then so be it.

raverboy

umm.... no. try again buddy.
    I was making a joke :p, forgot my </sarcasm> tag :/

think back to when your gf wanted to go away for college, but you were too busy crying your eyes out because you thought the only way to save your relationship was if she would stay with you in whatever state you're in. horse shit is what i have to say to that, i always want my other to pursue their dreams first. if it's their dream to stay with me, then so be it.
    Erm, is this about me? o.0

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yes, both of my quotes were directed at you. sarcasm is kinda hard to differentiate on the internet unless you do it all the time like me. duh... or unless you put something really ridiculous, silly, one of those *stupid faces* so that people know that you're joking.

however, i thought that you were thinking if you had a gf, you'd keep her around too.

raverboy

o.0 Nope. My last ex, which was only LDR, I broke up with 2 years ago, we met while both in college

My current girlfriend I met last year in my Junior year of college, she was a sophmore. I graduated, am currently doing my masters, and shes starting her senior year this fall...

Wrong person?

@sarcasm,
    I thought the Russel Peters reference was rediculous enough, my bad :p

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    no no.. i got the right person here. we both were talking about the author... anyways, it doesn't matter. and i dunno who the hell russel peters is.... i'm sure that he's not someone new.

raverboy

Russel Peters:
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Peters]Russell Peters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk[/url]

---

think back to when your gf wanted to go away for college, but you were too busy crying your eyes out because you thought the only way to save your relationship was if she would stay with you in whatever state you're in.
    I... have never been in this situation mate... o.o

I think you have the wrong guy here... sorry

---
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTooya View Post
    I get it! battlingpig, what Illusion is telling you is to refer to yourself! You are ALL that matters! Go stop your girlifriend! Be a man, do the right thing!
    I thought the sarcasm was obvious enough, but no, "You are ALL that matters" is an over the top statement that the OP should get I am poking at. The best option is to let her do what she wants and just deal with it and find something else to do than obsess about her.
    Last edited by TheTooya; 07-07-10 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Not a fan of how much space the youtube box was taking <_<