+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I started working out to build mucles

So I started working out to build mucles

I started off with 5 sets of 10 I got about 2 hours in.. the last few i started getting a little light headed and just made it to the bathroom in time.. but might be (I'm sure) do to the fact I'm not a regular breakfast eater in the morning.

So I need lots of protein.. I have some powdered stuff here at home my cousin gave me but I'm not sure about this stuff..

My trainer said it's best to come in 4 times out of the week to work out

Anyways this powered stuff is called.. glutamine powder

I wonder how quick I will start to see changes?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Dude, that's WAYYYY to hard too fast.

Try reducing weight and doing 3 sets of 12.

Yeah maybe the trainer was high or he thought I was working out before (I had sleeveless shirt on) I worked my way down on the machines until I got to about the last one and I just had to stop.. last time I remember when I worked out back in 2004 I started really light on the weights.. like 50 lb or so.. this guy was like you should be feeling it and not making it easy.

I will make sure I have a better breakfast for tomorrow and will adjust my sets accordingly.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Go easy on yourself man. You're not going to be huge in like a month or some shit. Your body needs to get accustomed to this new regime and it's not easy and takes time. And don't do 2 hour workouts... you will never be able to maintain that. Get a rountine that is SUSTAINABLE.

I figured it would not be as bad since I have to lift 60 lb (27 kg) packages all day that I have been doing going on 3 years in Nov.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    it's completely different.

You need to pace yourself in the beginning before you can start working out so hard. As a former marine, I thought I could push myself to limits I hadn't done in years -- the end result was me puking about 20 minutes into a workout before I started taking it easier... Now I can push myself for hours twice as hard. Give it time
    You're never too old to learn something stupid.

I will take it easy tomorrow morning.. I just signed up to a body building site and one of the requirements (maybe) was to include two current pictures.. so I just took these 5 min ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I started off with 5 sets of 10 I got about 2 hours in.. the last few i started getting a little light headed and just made it to the bathroom in time.. but might be (I'm sure) do to the fact I'm not a regular breakfast eater in the morning.

So I need lots of protein.. I have some powdered stuff here at home my cousin gave me but I'm not sure about this stuff..

My trainer said it's best to come in 4 times out of the week to work out

Anyways this powered stuff is called.. glutamine powder

I wonder how quick I will start to see changes?
    2 hours?

i been bodybuilding for 3 years, trust me you dont need to do more than 45 minutes per workout, you will overtrain otherwise.

5X5 of the heaviest you can lift is the best way to do it

plenty of protein too, the powder is ok, but try to eat high protein foods too, eggs, beans, lentils, fish, steak, chicken breast.

Yuck, 2 hours of lifting is way too much. The guys doing that are doing it for ego, not for muscle building. It becomes counter productive at a certain point.

I started lifting again about 3 or 4 months ago. You will make gains fast early on, then plateau out for a while generally. It takes a decent amount of time for the bulk to start. Your muscles will tighten up and become firmer and more defined, followed by the actual bulking up. I would say I started to see slight changes in muscle size around 4 weeks in. My muscles were actually fairly well defined to start with, I just had to trim off the fat over them. My abs just kind of showed up about month 2 over the course of like a week.

There's a never ending debate about supplements, but my philosophy is just eating healthy with added protein. I use a protein powder called Gold Standard. The general rule of thumb is 1g of protein per lb of body weight. It's not good to take excessive amounts. Your body can only use so much, and repeated overloading can cause damage to your liver and kidneys I believe, but this is over a LONG period of time.

Like Infern0 said, eat high protein foods more than the powders. Eggs and fish are two of the best sources for complete and pure protein. If you like them, those canned sardines are one of the highest concentrated foods of amino acids. You need to eat a lot too, your body will use a lot more calories when its building muscle and it uses them from all different sources. You actually don't want to cut the fat and carbs by any large amount. You muscle use fat as a source of energy.

Lifting alone will bulk, but if you want the definition that you see on body builders, your going to have to do cardio too. I run every other day and lift on the off days. You NEED to take time off, 4 days a week is good. Lifting everyday will drastically reduce the rate at which your body builds. You're tearing you muscle fibers when you lift, they need to heal and grow. Its just like scrapping your knee, then going out and falling on it again the next day - useless.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 13-07-10 at 02:30 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I'm really going now because I have a week off from work.. it's going to be somewhat hard to get focused after work because of my job requirements of lifting and stepping in and out of trucks 100's of time in a 4 hour period.

So I'm going to head out this morning but man I'm sore but that's to be expected maybe I will do a little cardio this morning

One thing I'm not sure is how much protein do I need to take in per day?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I'm really going now because I have a week off from work.. it's going to be somewhat hard to get focused after work because of my job requirements of lifting and stepping in and out of trucks 100's of time in a 4 hour period.

So I'm going to head out this morning but man I'm sore but that's to be expected maybe I will do a little cardio this morning

One thing I'm not sure is how much protein do I need to take in per day?
    You're going to be sore after the first few sessions because your body isn't use to being pushed. It will get better as you get into lifting regularly. Change up your routine, you don't want to train your body to a repeated lifting pattern.

1g of protein per pound of body weight. I weigh around 210, so I shoot for around 210 grams of protein a day, total. Take a little bit of protein before you work out, then a full shake when you finish.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are you SURE you need to take the supplements? And have you researched whether or not it actually is effective? (Using a scientific site - not a body building one.) Because I haven't ever seen any conclusive evidence that glutamine does anything more than affect your liver enzymes.

For the record, I have never seen a doctor advise a patient to take ANY supplement. It is generally believed that if you eat a healthy diet, you simply don't need them.
    Last edited by vashti; 13-07-10 at 09:22 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Mike, i also hope you're doing this for YOU and not for the ladies. If you think being in great shape will get the girls running over to you, think again. The reason i think you might be doing it mostly for them is because of the fact you're rushing this and it's way too much. Take it easy bud.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u View Post
    Mike, i also hope you're doing this for YOU and not for the ladies. If you think being in great shape will get the girls running over to you, think again. The reason i think you might be doing it mostly for them is because of the fact you're rushing this and it's way too much. Take it easy bud.

I'm doing this for me.. I always wanted to start up again after I stopped after HS but was never motivated.. Now that I have a free pass it's no big deal

I signed up for swimming lessons for next month since this month is booked now that I have to pay for but I guess good to know how to swim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast