+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Do women get over break up quicker than men?

Do women get over break up quicker than men?

Side question: What's your opinion on hooking up after a break up?

Go for it. It's a great way to get over someone, or at least get the ball rolling. Break-ups are huge ego blows and it's nice to give yourself a boost by feeling desired. Just be safe and upfront about your intentions before hooking up. I've seen too many of my friends get involved in what were supposed to be simple situations only to have their "hook up" get attached. Then it becomes a nightmare.

I'm not thinking about hooking up. My ex did 3 weeks after she dumped me and I'm just wondering if some find it good or bad.

I think it's genuinely easier for women to get over a break up quicker. The reason is because as soon as that facebook status changes to "single" tons and tons of horny guys are messaging them wanting to hang out, and there's only one thing on their mind. My ex was hanging out with other guys days after our break up. Kind of funny if you ask me.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Outwardly, I think we take break-ups easier. Inwardly, it takes longer.

Meaning, that in my past experience as soon as I broke up with someone I appeared happier, I had guys chasing after me again, I went on tons of dates to occupy my time and stroke my ego.

Inside, I knew I was keeping myself occupied so it wouldn't hurt so much and it would look to other people like I'd moved on. I hadn't really.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I don't tend to see/or get involved with other guys, until I'm over the last one. I wish I could just jump ship like that, but I can't. If my heart is with one guy and for as long as it remains with that one guy, I have no desire to get involved with any other guy. In the past I may have tried to get over one guy and by seeing another, but it didn't work. I'd find myself comparing him to the ex constantly.

I dare say had I not loved the previous partner, then I'd find it easy enough to move on. Or if we'd broke up and he'd been a bas**rd about it, I'd probably find it also easy to move on.

For the majority, my exes have appeared to have moved on and before I did....in that they had other gfs before I was involved with anyone else.

I used to have trouble forcing myself to move on. I'd lament for a long time. Eventually, I figured out that actually seeking out new guys and having fun that I would get over things faster. So, that's what I did.

It's not that we get over them more easily, we just start earlier. For a lot of guys, the breakup is this terrible shock. For us, it's something we've seen coming for months. We're better prepared for it.
    Spammer Spanker

I don't think it's a gender thing, I think it's based more on the individual themselves.

Stereotypically, I think women don't get over a break-up quicker, I read somewhere that women often get more attached and get more 'into' a relationship then men, so from that perspective, we find it difficult.

I'm finding it harder to get over my ex and couldn't imagine dating anyone else yet. I know that we will never get back together, and I don't want him back, but being alone for a while is just how I handle things. He has however moved on with a new girlfriend, less than 2 months after contacting me again and then 'being confused' again.. Our only issue ever was him 'being confused' over his feelings for an ex who dumped him a year and a half earlier. We met 6 months later, and spent a year together, but he obviously wasn't ready. He could commit to me when she wasn't around but as soon as she reappeared, we crashed and burned. Heartbroken.

But going back to topic, he seems to feel that he has to always have someone, so that seems to be his way of handling break ups. Everyone is different, it isn't necessarily a gender thing. I have girl friends who hook up with random guys as soon as they are single again. And I'm sure they're are guys out there who don't feel the need to find someone else immediately.

I agree with Gigabitch. Women seem to be more aware that a relationship isn't working long before a man is so they start to prepare their minds for being single and independent again!