+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is this normal behaviour?

Is this normal behaviour?

This isn't too do with dating anyone, or being in love etc.
    But i do love my brother and need some male advice to be honest...

I'm having real problems with my brother.

He is 18 years old, i'm 21 in a few months, we used too be quite close too eachother, hang together a lot, but about 2 and a bit years ago, he changed a lot, went through a phase for around a year of trying too kill himself... etc.
    I wasnt around too help as i was in hospital with a serious disease, so i feel really bad about that, and very sorry for my parents for having too deal with both.

He's fine now, but very different, i dont get a conversation out of him, and when i do he shouts at me, is horrible too me, accuses me of everything.

For example just now i walked in, and he accused me of breaking his PS3 on purpose too annoy him, i didnt answer but he stood there shouting at me for ages, till i couldnt take anymore and shouted back. Thus leading too me dad walking out and hes been gone for an hour now, and i dont know where.

Hes very selfish, does nothing around the house, he works fulltime now, and doesnt pay for anything. I think my parents are scared of making him pay or telling him off because he might try and "kill himself" again.

It's grating on me alot, how nasty he is too my mum, he looks at her like she is a nasty object found on the floor.

There's nothing i can do because when i say something he just laughs.

This sounds awful for me too say, but i think hes pure evil sometimes, the things he says, the looks he gives, how selfish and inconsiderate he is.

I can't give more examples as he does stuff everyday all the time that it's sort of come a habit now and i don't know what is bad or just normal behavour.

I'm not bothered about him beign horrible too me, i can get over that, it's upsetting my dad and mum i hate, thing is when he does aswel, dad takes it out on me too, and that is very upsetting.

I was just wondering whether maybe its just a phase, with him being 18 or whatever?
    Or whether anyone has had too deal with anyone like this too?

Im starting to resent him, and not consider him as my brother because he just is so evil in my eyes.

What i also find weird is how 2 faced he can sometimes be... like when my boyfriend comes round, he is nice as pie, chats too him for ages, but then when hes gone the next minute hes on my case about something he doesnt like, screaming swearing, it freaks me out, and is upsetting.

I don't work full time so can't escape this situation really. i'm studying to be a forensic scientist, or lawyer... havent decided yet but im going into my final year at university studying Law.
    I'm getting into A LOT of debt, so living at home is saving me money, unfortunatley because my course is so high strung i havent got time for a job at the same time.

When my brother changed he had been dumped by his long term girlfriend at the time, they had been together for around 3 years since they were like 12, best friends and everything.
    It was very hard on him too suddenly stop all contact, she refused too tell him why, and started dating his best friend.
    He lost it, and just sorta went crazy..

At the time i spoke with her and tried too reason with her, she wouldnt listen.
    She told my brother i spoke to her, and he resents me thinking it was MY fault for his girlfriend splitting up with him.

i dont think hes ever listened to me, or even forgiven me truly in his heart.

Thank you for having the time too read this.

i would have to say no, its not normal, sure a little rebellious, but by 18 - most kids are starting to snap out of it, they are of legal age to do anything they like (in australia anyway) and stop fighting authority

my personal response would be to get him in a room and make pizza out of his face, but i have a feeling thats not what you are looking for, so therefore there are two option:

1) confront him and risk him trying to kill himself again
    2) leave it and hope it blows over

are drugs involved? you could always try and steer him towards seeing a psychiatrist, even though personally i think they are a waste of space, emo's tend to feel better when they have a good whinge, but i have a feeling he is not going to be open to the idea, its normal at 18 though not to listen to family, that would explain why he is nice to your boyfriend but a fudge packer to you and your parents, does he have any friends? some male companionship might help

I've had plenty of mental health issues myself and would say get him therapy. Talk to him and tel him your concerned about his behavior and do your best to get him interested in therapy. It might take a bit to find the right therapist but a good therapist can make a world of a difference, believe me. I know!