+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview Help

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Come prepared to the interview. Bring samples of your correspondence, writing samples, projects you've completed. Understand how your skills will benefit the company. Most of all, LISTEN. An admin person is support for managers and executives. If you can't listen while being given direction, you won't be effective at your job. A pad of paper and a pen *at all times* is a must. I always prefer the person who listens intently and then asks succinct questions over the person who tries to guess what I'm saying and then misses key points. For the rest, just be yourself. Good luck.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So you guys think I should bring pen/ paper to the interview?

I can't bring anything to the job that I've done only becasue I work in a top secret confidential place. But I can share things I've completed as in planning and implemtenting new programs.

I love the idea of asking about business- where are they going what projects do they hope to undertake, how might my position be related to the project. I will for certain be looking up their website.

Thanks for the help- I will update tomorrow.

Absoultely bring a pad of paper and a pen. Maybe even get one of those leathery folder/notebook portfolios so if they give you a handout/business card at the interview you have something to put it in rather than fold it up in your purse.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You never thought about asking the business you want a job from about their business?? Geeze, Girl, widen your scope. Vancouver job market is not easy right now.
    As in how well they're doing- no. I've asked other places about what they're all about/ what they do... Considering I've only had 2 jobs which were both handed to to me on a silver platter... yeah never really thought or had to ask.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have a hard cover notebook which should be sufficient. to place whatever they might give to me.

I plan to bring a the official job description as listed on their site, am I allowed to have this in an itnerview? As in I open a notebook to take a note and there it is... the job description a long with it a few handwritten notes in the book about what I like about the corporate culture blah blah blah.

OR... should the notebook be virtually blank with no trace of notes, and certainly nothing about the job I'm applying for?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, now you know. A business owner will always be impressed by someone who can clearly understand their POV. Of course, if its for some large corp or govt job, then the HR slob interviewing you prob won't care. I hate those positions, they are total make-work jobs IMO. Either way, go kick some interview ass, Girl.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    I have a hard cover notebook which should be sufficient. to place whatever they might give to me.

I plan to bring a the official job description as listed on their site, am I allowed to have this in an itnerview? As in I open a notebook to take a note and there it is... the job description a long with it a few handwritten notes in the book about what I like about the corporate culture blah blah blah.

OR... should the notebook be virtually blank with no trace of notes, and certainly nothing about the job I'm applying for?
    Blank. You won't refer to the job description anyway and it makes you look anal. Your entire focus should be on the interviewer and demonstrating your listening skills. Take a few notes as you deem important, esp names of people you are introduced to (if they don't give you cards). And any upcoming projects you might be involved with. Go into the interview assuming they have already hired you and ask questions accordingly.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

ALWAYS look the interviewer in the eyes and NEVER slouch in your seat. Also dont drag your feet when you walk in or walk out. Speak clearly and use your hands when you talk if you can. Make sure you come off as enthusuastic about the interview like you REALLY want the job. Always good to do some in depth research of the company before hand also. (mission statement, company motto, goals, any donation campaigns, stuff like that.) Always highlight your positives.

Also, write down some questions before hand to ask when the interviewer asks you at the end of the interview if you have any questions. make sure they're relevant and precise.
    Last edited by IncognitoSir; 04-08-10 at 08:39 AM. Reason: edit it duhhhhhh

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^ I have never in my life heard of this... do other people really do that?
    believe it or not, i have heard of this, and it does add that special touch. however, it also applies to what position you are applying for. what are you applying for anyways? mcdonalds?? haha j.k.....

honestly though, if you're applying for a firm or some sorta business corp, then a thank you letter will always stand out in the end, when the points really count.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    thanks guys we'll see how it goes...

Best of luck !!

^ I have never in my life heard of this... do other people really do that?
    Not handwritten. I always send a thank-you letter the same day, but my handwriting is kind of harsh and jagged, so I type it up. A thank-you email is faster, but I think a physical letter makes a slightly better impression. I use a slightly heavy paper stock with a matching envelope.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Not handwritten. I always send a thank-you letter the same day, but my handwriting is kind of harsh and jagged, so I type it up. A thank-you email is faster, but I think a physical letter makes a slightly better impression. I use a slightly heavy paper stock with a matching envelope.
    Yea even though technology lets us communicate quickly now I still like to hand deliver thank you notes...I consider it professional persistence. I mean I don't show up daily and irritate them but it doesn't hurt to drop a thank you letter off that way your name pops back up in their head.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't have the time to be going down there to do another drop off. I will likely do the email route. Interview isn't until Tuesday now...

Bump...

I have an interview on Friday morning with a major health insurance provider. Its for an admin/claims position.

I know they always like when YOU ask them questions at the end. I have a couple questions lined up but I need a few more.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Anything else as far as tips or nuggest would be welcome as well.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast