+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interview Help

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I asked about turn-over rates. You know that if a company has a high turnover rate, the job sucks ass.

As for weaknesses - I think you should mention something that you are simply inexperienced with, but can easily learn. For example, I told my current boss that I needed to improve my computer skills because I really only use it for email and reading the news. My hope was to convey that I wasn't afraid of computers, but simply hadn't really worked with them before.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I asked about turn-over rates. You know that if a company has a high turnover rate, the job sucks ass.
    Do this^ tho by asking where the previous person in the position is now/what happened. Its a more delicate way to get the 411 on the position. If they were promoted in the company, great. If not, what Vash said.

I confess, I've had to hire into positions with high turnover rates. The reasons can be various, depending on the job. Feel free to ask more, QofC.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I went- the job sounded like shit. There was no room for growth linear growth and they wouldn't pay for education that I'm persuing. I didn't recieve a call back becasue she knew that the position wasn't what I wanted to do.

Overall I thought I did very well though it just wasn't a person-job fit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Do this^ tho by asking where the previous person in the position is now/what happened. Its a more delicate way to get the 411 on the position. If they were promoted in the company, great. If not, what Vash said.

I confess, I've had to hire into positions with high turnover rates. The reasons can be various, depending on the job. Feel free to ask more, QofC.
    Yep, that is one of the questions I was planning on asking...if in the last few years when the econonmy went south if they had to do any job cuts or cutting back employees hours.

I guess I am most nervous about the weakness question. From what I've read online, people do not want to hear, "Oh I have a tendancy to be a workaholic" harhar, just sounds cheesy.

I'd use what Vash said as an example, however, this job is 100% computer based and I am comfortable learning new programs.

I was thinking of telling the truth and say that I have a tendency to be a little shy around my new co-workers to start out with. Not that I'm unfriendly or would hesitate to ask them job-related questions but I am slow to disclose my personal details or to chit chat a bunch with my co-workers until I am familiar with my surroundings (I sound like I'm a wild animal) but after that I am comfortable things are kosher.

If you can think of any other questions I should ask that would be cool.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenofCorona View Post
    I guess I am most nervous about the weakness question. From what I've read online, people do not want to hear, "Oh I have a tendancy to be a workaholic" harhar, just sounds cheesy.
    Well, what do you honestly assess as your weaknesses regarding work? The best way to answer these questions are to 'know thyself' and then have an answer ready for how you deal with this and/or can turn it to a strength.

Workplaces don't expect to hire perfection. They expect to hire humans who are capable and willing to do good work. In fact, perfectionism is a perfect example of a strength/weakness.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

My interview went pretty well. I feel my current job actually helped me to get in little nuggets to help connect with the interviewer and his assistant/team lead. I feel I answered their questions well and that I asked the right questions.

I won't hear anything for about a week as I was the first interivew they did. I won't feel horrible if I don't get it but I'll be disappointed and feel maybe a little bad as my bf and a few of my friends know about the interview. I did send a hand written Thank You card off afterwards.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well life sucks right now. The interview I went on went well but I didn't like the job. I had an opening for a position here at my work which seemed like it was being handed to me on a silver platter- it isn't swiped beneath my feet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123