+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Great on paper, no personality.

Great on paper, no personality.

My boyfriend of 3 months wants me to move in with him. He lives in a beautiful 4 bedroom house, has a brand new car, a great job in the medical center and takes really good care of all of his possessions. After two weeks of dating he bought me a puppy (my mom never liked dogs, so this was my first one) and mentions marriage and kids all the time.

These were all great things when we first started dating (i'm 23, he is 26) but I feel like he is pressuring me too soon. Some girls might jump at the chance, but I am afraid that he isn't the right guy for me. It's the right situation, but the wrong person.

John (fake name) is really sweet but I feel like he has nothing other than work and me going on in his life. I, on the other hand am an introvert and I have hobbies and interests that don't necessarily involve him. I have been single for 2 years prior to dating john, and I am used to doing a lot of things on my own. He, on the other hand, wants me around all the time and even goes so far as to partially smother me when i am sleeping (by wrapping his entire body around me)

John is also divorced. Which wouldn't be an issue (both of my parents are divorced) except I feel like he has a life checklist: Job, House, truck, wife, kids, and I am just a part of the checklist. Sometimes I fear that if I agree to move in with him, I would be selling myself short.

Although I am an introvert, I do have an outgoing/funny/sarcastic social side that many people really enjoy about me, so I really appreciate people who make me laugh, John doesnt make me laugh at all. His attempts at humor include repeating jokes that I have already said, yet totally milking them.

So he is great on paper, but has no personality. He isn't funny, which makes me feel like he isn't too smart either. Not sure what to do, please help me out :/

This guy has extended you these gifts as a measure of keeping you secured. He is trying to buy your love essentially.

And he sounds like a girl in bed.

He sounds far too sensitive, and I think his divorce has left him a bit screwed in the head really.

And he sounds like a girl in bed.

I think you know what you should do.

Sounds like you have no chemistry. What's your sex life like?
    Spammer Spanker

He sounds like a girl in bed.

Do you really want to let yourself be bought like this?

So, he's got a nice house, and bought you a puppy... Do you think any of that is going to matter if you're not happy WITH HIM?

And to move in after only 3 months of dating is absurd. When did he and his wife divorce? Sounds like he's just looking to fill her spot with anyone because he's been lonely.

I dated a guy like this once. Matt (not a fake name) was absolutely perfect on paper, and he didn't even sound like a girl in bed. It just... didn't work for me. We dated for several months, but the emotional component of our relationship never really grew into something meaningful. I don't regret leaving him behind because I believe in being happy and I just couldn't be happy with that guy.

I don't think you can be truly happy with this guy.
    Spammer Spanker

Time to start writing that Dear John (fake name) letter.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

^^ AHAHA! Nice zinger! In all seriousness, I agree with Lahn about the fact that he might be trying to buy your love and buy his security.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It makes me sad when someone can't be funny on their own.

I had a friend like that who would beat a good joke to death.

Eventually we would tell him straight up, "You killed it dude..."

It sounds like you have a poor chemistry with this guy and chemistry is the life blood of a relationship. It's funny that the most important thing in a relationship often gets forgotten, people make up all of these check lists: has to have a good job, be well educated, look good... but they forget what makes the relationships complete.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i say let him go, he'll be a great catch for someone else.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj